Old 04-13-2008, 12:18 PM
Senior Chief

Send a message via Yahoo to crider
Default I have a couple of paint code questions

What color white works best on the shaker to match the repop stripes? Also what is the correct silver/grey color for the grilles? Both are on a 71. Thanks

Old 04-13-2008, 02:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The stripe was unchanged from 70-72. That means that the proper shaker white is 70 code 10
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trans am photos 2 013 (Large).jpg
Views:	28
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	129045  

Old 04-13-2008, 02:39 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks, norwood.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Actually, er, no, the white stripe was not the same from 70-72. If you look at the MPC the stripe is called out under one set of part numbers for 70 and another set for 71-72. I assume that they were changed to match Polar White or Cameo White shaker respectively. Although I have never had a chance to compare the two side-by-side.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by giles
Actually, er, no, the white stripe was not the same from 70-72. If you look at the MPC the stripe is called out under one set of part numbers for 70 and another set for 71-72. I assume that they were changed to match Polar White or Cameo White shaker respectively. Although I have never had a chance to compare the two side-by-side.

Giles,I seem to recall on SEVERAL occasions you advised me that the MPC's were NOT considered to be an "accurate" reference source/guide regarding the ACTUAL build characteristics of these cars. (with 1970 typically being the "gray" area)

Perhaps the assembly manuals for each year (70-71) would reveal more accurate information regarding the stripe that was actually used in production?

The Master Parts Catalogs would list replacement parts available(at the dealer level) & NOT neccessarily what was used on the cars when they were built,as I understand it.(if I am interpreting your previous comments on MPC's correctly?)

Old 04-14-2008, 12:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I knew that this would start a debate. But even if the stripe white color for the blue car changed ( I have doubts). The question is "What color white works best on the shaker to match the repop stripes?". Maybe I answered the question wrong, but I assure you that code 10 matches the PG stripe perfectly. By the way DON'T USE THE PG STRIPE....

Back in the late 70's I ordered replacment stripes for my car. They all came as expected white with a solid black border. Except the roof stripe, the roof came with the black having a matrix type dot pattern. I had to order three stripe before a solid one arrived. I would have never believed this but it happened to me, so I know it to be fact. Anybody else ever seen this type of stripe?

Old 04-14-2008, 02:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a original paint blue car that has the matrix stripe. It was built at the end of march. I personally think the matrix stripe is ugly and prefer the solid one. The shaker is the same color white.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:21 PM
Senior Chief

Glad to see I could get things stirred up again...lol Anybody know what color for the grilles?

Old 04-14-2008, 02:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by crider
Glad to see I could get things stirred up again...lol Anybody know what color for the grilles?
GREEN!!

Old 04-14-2008, 03:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyT/A'S
GREEN!!

I agree 100%

Old 04-14-2008, 08:53 PM
Senior Chief

thanks guys!.....lmao

Old 04-14-2008, 09:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood
Back in the late 70's I ordered replacment stripes for my car. They all came as expected white with a solid black border. Except the roof stripe, the roof came with the black having a matrix type dot pattern. I had to order three stripe before a solid one arrived. I would have never believed this but it happened to me, so I know it to be fact. Anybody else ever seen this type of stripe?
Yep... a friend of mine showed me the "1970 white stripes" he and his brother ordered new from GM for a blue car many years ago. He had a complete set of the white stripes with the dot matrix fade pattern (ala the blue stripes for white cars). The only car I've ever seen them on, though, was in a picture in Hot Rod magazine back around 1980. And yeah... I agree with Chuck that they don't look as good as the solid-black-bordered stripe. Maybe this is one of those things where the designers changed their mind late in the process, so there was mixed/obsolete stock in the system, and the supplier decided to use it to fulfill service part orders (I've seen this happen....). Who knows.

As far as getting the right color white for the stripes. I'd buy the stripes first (had good luck with S&S on my car), apply them, and then take one of the pieces (rear spoiler is a good one) into a good automotive paint store and have them match it with the electronic eye. This process worked well for me.

BTW, anybody got the paint code for the green on the grilles? Mine have faded to a dull silver and I'd like to get them redone...

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 04-14-2008, 10:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Keith, That is BRILLIANT....... I will take one of my ORIGINAL grills down to my paint guy and have him mix up a qt. for you . Craig

Old 04-16-2008, 10:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyT/A'S
Giles,I seem to recall on SEVERAL occasions you advised me that the MPC's were NOT considered to be an "accurate" reference source/guide regarding the ACTUAL build characteristics of these cars. (with 1970 typically being the "gray" area)

Perhaps the assembly manuals for each year (70-71) would reveal more accurate information regarding the stripe that was actually used in production?

The Master Parts Catalogs would list replacement parts available(at the dealer level) & NOT neccessarily what was used on the cars when they were built,as I understand it.(if I am interpreting your previous comments on MPC's correctly?)
Yes you are correct! The MPC is accurate 90% of the time, but it is used to service these cars, where the assembly manual was used to build them.
I checked the assembly manual and I found the white stripes are different between 70 and 71 while the blue stripes are the same:

70 White stripe - 481969
70 Blue stripe - 481970

71 White stripe - 488712
71 Blue stripe - 481970
I assume there is a slight difference in the shade of white to correspond to paint code 10 or 11 on the shaker, but have never seen the two side by side. My car has NOS stripes. I will have to dig out the receipt to see which model year they are. I have no idea!

Old 04-16-2008, 01:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another 1970 QUIRK!

Gotta love that one year ONLY stuff.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by weranc55
I have a original paint blue car that has the matrix stripe. It was built at the end of march. I personally think the matrix stripe is ugly and prefer the solid one. The shaker is the same color white.
The car in this auction appears to have the fade/matrix white stripe for blue cars on its decklid. Nevermind that it's a white car...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-...m250248255250&
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tail.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	132674  

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 05-14-2008, 09:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Keith, I think that you are right about that stripe. I sure am glad that GM came to thier sences on that one. That looks like SH**............