Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-19-2008, 11:28 AM

Default OIL PUMP PRIMING WORRIES !!!

I am a little worried here ! I am priming my engine using a 1/2" drill and a converted old distributor, done it many times. What I am concerned about is the spinning pump is not perfectly smooth. The oil pump seems to have a "notchy or ratcheting" feel to the rotation. Any one know what is going on ? or is this normal. It feels like I can feel every contact of the pump gears with each other throughout the revolution. Also make a bit of a noise. What do you guys think ?
Thanks.

Old 04-19-2008, 01:06 PM

Talked to an oldtimer, he thinks it is the oil pump relief valve opening and closing due to cold fresh oil on a non running engine ? makes sense but would welcome some input.
Thanks.

Old 04-19-2008, 01:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Was the pump disassembled and inspected before installation?
I bought a Precision Blueprinted pump and billet drive shaft and I'm very pleased with his work.Under 100.00 bucks too.

Old 04-19-2008, 02:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have heard this when pumps were dry, prior to building pressure.
Are you building pressure? Are you spinning CCW?

Old 04-19-2008, 02:57 PM

yep, CCW. My 1/2 horse drill is labouring too ! I could be over thinking this. Checked the pump out for debris etc before installing. Just seems odd. If I did this regularily I would know what "right" feels like. How long should it take to prime the engine anyways. Got oil to about 6 rockers and quit after 5min. Thanks.

Old 04-19-2008, 03:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just a minute/seconds to wet the bearings. Takes a little longer to get the rockers, usually have to turn the engine, to get all the rockers.
I would say you,ve got it pretty well primed.

Old 04-19-2008, 04:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up Takes more than 5min.

Mine took around 8min. to get all rockers pumping oil.
Do it till all push rods get oil.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:57 PM

I just bought one of those Precision pumps and it appears to have a notchy feel also. My engine builder did not like that. I emailed the guys at Precision Pumps and they said it wasn't a problem. Now I am afraid to use it because of the cost of new motor. What should I do?

Old 04-20-2008, 12:10 AM
Suspended

the gear faces have to run a while to smooth up don't worry as the filter will catch any small filings that come off in break in , I used to run in my engines with a magnet on the side of the filter for this reason to catch any small filings that come loose, one of the old racing tricks was to take a new pump and summurge it a pan of oil and they attached a plate to the outlet end that ran to a filter and dumped the oil back into the pan and run it on a drill press for about 15 minutes to loosen them up then take them apart clean and reasssemble, then install

Old 04-20-2008, 02:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i use stock style high volume melling and it was always smooth when priming...15 @ idle 60 max...

'74 formula 400, w/shaker (3 scoops) black deluxe interior, '70 406 balanced assembly, .30 trw slugs, moly rings, 4x heads 2.11/1.77 stainless valves, ra 4 cam, e-rpm intake, holley 750 vac. sec, msd hei, hooker headers w/ dual 3'' flowmaster 50 series ending at axle, t400 w/ GM6 convertor, transgo shift kit, b&m starshifter, 3.08 gears, centerlines, 265/50-15 bfg's rear and 235/60-15 front...yes im over cammed but it is still very fun...
Old 04-20-2008, 08:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Might be your drill is a little underpowered, slowing down enough to feel the pump chatter from the individual pressurising/releasing of oil of each gear tooth in the pump.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Do you have a gage hooked up? What is your pressure?

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 04-20-2008, 01:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have heard this several times before. It can be caused by either the pump itself or if the pick-up screen is touching the oil pan, it will send that vibration through the oil pan and it will amplify the noise. Put your hand on the oil pan near where the oil pump is and feel it while priming the oil pump. If you feel the noise in your hand, then the pick-up is probably touching the oil pan. One of the pumps that made this noise just had to have the pick-up slightly moved so it wouldn't touch the pan anymore. I usually set the pick-up to be 1/4"-3/8" off the pan.

520-409-7236
Koerner Racing Engines
You killed it, We build it!
520-294-5758

64 GTO, under re-construction, 412 CID, also under construction.
87 S-10 Pickup, 321,000 miles
99Monte Carlo, 293,000 miles
86 Bronco, 218,000 miles
Old 04-21-2008, 11:01 AM

I think you are fine. I just went thru this on an engine 3 days ago, it also has a slight clicking noise while priming. It took about 10 minutes to get oil at every rocker. I had to turn the engine with a break-over a couple times to get oil to all rockers. I agree with the old man you talked to. The noise would not be heard if the engine was in a car starting/running normally. The open distributor hole and direct touch of the drill to the pump magnifies your senses to noise.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:38 PM

I guess the old timer was correct. Thick new oil, cool garage, oiling system full of air.
Kept kicking the relief valve open making the pulsing feeling I was getting.
You just get to worrying when you got so much $$ wraped up in an engine.
Thanks for everyones input.