Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 05-05-2008, 04:38 PM

Default New build

I'm building a 71 firebird.Mostly race but some street.IA II,4.5 stroke crank 6.7 BME rods ,HP heads by Jim Robertson 400+,Victor intake,1250 carb.10 inch tire.No dyno yet but hopefully a lot of power.3500 lbs or so.What transmission would be best.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via MSN to Chris Petersen

TH400

463 SRP .035 Pistons, Eagle rods, N crank, Pump gas, Victor intake, Holley 850BT carb, 6H heads,TH400 w/T-Break, Continental custom 3500 converter, 3.73 gears. TV7101 TURBO!

Old 05-05-2008, 07:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lotta horsepower & torque on a heavy car with a small rear tire,a well built 2.10 low TH-400 would hafta be my choice.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:28 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to JKrull66

Dream tranny...
T- 400 with a gear venders behind it, Cake and eat it too.
I have one behind my muncie in my 66 and love it. Think they can go 1200 hp with a tweak on the pressure... Will put one on the 63 if it ever sees much street.
Seen some heavy cars out at Formosa useing one as a gear splitter. Kool stuff.
John Krull

63 Lemans in the 9's race
66 GTO HT Cruiser
06 Triumph Rocket III TURBO! 2300 CC Bad boy
KTM 525 Dirt Terrorizer
POLARIS 900 RZR
10 GMC SLT Duramax Haul anything anywhere
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...app_2392950137
Old 05-06-2008, 10:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by gata79
I'm building a 71 firebird.Mostly race but some street.IA II,4.5 stroke crank 6.7 BME rods ,HP heads by Jim Robertson 400+,Victor intake,1250 carb.10 inch tire.No dyno yet but hopefully a lot of power.3500 lbs or so.What transmission would be best.
Sounds Good--Nice to see some pics when its done .

Old 05-06-2008, 03:50 PM

Be nice to get it done.Long way to go.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not sure what area you are in but check with Paul Starnes --Starnes Automatics goes by TTS here on the boards. We are running one in my GTO that is in the 700HP range and one in my BIL's 70 Chevelle that is in the 950hp range N/A and they perform flawlessly. He shipped us 2 from TX to GA. I kept the old one he built 4 years ago as a spare- had about 200 N/A passes on it and about 30 N20 passes. You won't be dissappointed. http://www.starnesperformance.com/

66 GTO 389 3x2, 4 speed, 4.33 gear, Montero Red 33K original Miles
67 GTO 2dr Post, 428, Tri Power, 3.55 Gears
80 Trans Am Black SE Y84 W72 WS6
Old 05-06-2008, 09:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Whoo-hoo! I gotta get busy!~ BTW it's Starnes Performance Automatics

Tough to go wrong with a 400. At your HP level, there really isn't a choice unless you want to race heads up. Then it's REAL BIG $$$$.

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams

Right and wrong doesn't need facts all the time.
-Lighthouseman ("lawyer")

Starnes Performance Automatics
www.Starnesperformance.com
Old 05-06-2008, 09:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I built a balls out TH400 for a Pontiac a few years ago. I'm still waiting for it to return... I don't think it will, but there's still a chance . If anyone's in Northern Indiana with a bolt cutter.....

The transmissions in Mike and Ken's are stockers. I wanted to see just how far they can go with stock hard parts, and they're nice enough guys to try . Honestly , I couldn't afford for someone else to disappear with major hardware, so this honest duo has given me a chance to get in some real R&D.

So, Mike Davis and Ken Weilbrenner thank you very much!

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams

Old 05-06-2008, 11:29 PM

I've talked to a couple of people that think a powerglide would be a good choice.But I think I like the 3 gears with a turbo 400.Could I just run a higher rear gear to tone down the launch?I worry about turbo 400's because I see someone like Mighty TA tearing his up frequently.I sent a PM to someone on the board who was selling a 2.10 low turbo 400 but he said he was going to put it back in his car.That may have been a good transmission for my build.TTS I'll call you tomorrow.I'm up in Greenville SC Mike.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKrull66
Dream tranny...
T- 400 with a gear venders behind it, Cake and eat it too.
I have one behind my muncie in my 66 and love it. Think they can go 1200 hp with a tweak on the pressure...
It's been years since, but the GV units I've been into where basically mini TH400's.