Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 06-13-2008, 07:33 PM

Default Which balancer and carb??

Which balancers and carb are people running?

Motor is 467 (400 bored .060, 4.25 Eagle stroker crank, Eagle 6.8 rods, custom lightened Diamond pistons, 330 cfm CNC ported E heads, big solid roller)

Machine shop recommends aluminum balancer. Car is 67 Lemans convertible, 4-speed, street car but will see occassional track time once everything is upgraded to be safe and legal.

Don't like Fluidampr because you have to redrill bolt pattern (stupid for new part),
ATI Super Damper?
Summit brand?
Romac?
Professional products?
BHJ?

Carb?? Looking around 950cfm.
Holley 950HP series was recommended by builder
Builder doesn't care for Demons
Quickfuel?
Proform?

Need to get on ASAP!

Thanks

Old 06-13-2008, 08:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pioneer makes a good balancer and I would recomend one of my custom built Holley 850/1000 for your combo.

What dist you running?

Old 06-13-2008, 08:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I like the Quick Fuel series carbs. I run an 850cfm, manual secondaries on my Catalina. Carb performs beautifully. Running Pioneer balancer.
Jim

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:14 AM

Shaker455,

I have heard good things about your carbs but I think they are a good bit more expensive than say a Quickfuel from Summit. Am I correct in assuming this? Haven't bought distributer yet. I figured I would get a ready to run MSD Pro Billet.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:21 PM

Default Carb recommendation

I've tinkered with all kinds of carburetors over the years and after having headache after headache.. someone from this site recommended a carb from "Pro systems". I was told that out of the box.. I should be able to bolt it onto my car and other than setting the idle and double checking the mixture screws.. it would be almost perfect and true to their word. It was !!!!

http://www.prosystemsracing.com

My father always told me.. "if you need shoes... go to a shoe store".... so I guess if you need a carb.... you know the rest.

take care everybody!
NB

Old 06-16-2008, 05:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

ATI makes the best damper, that's what i run.
i have a pro-systems carb on my engine but a HP series holley will be your best bang for the buck.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

ATI balancer and Pro-Systems carb. No matter who does your carb, the right builder will shine over an out of the box unit. Worth the $$ in my opinion.

'65 GTO - Pump gas 496" IA2 w/ High Ports, 200-4R trans, 3.73 gears, 275 Hoosier radials, and 3925 lbs.
9.88 @ 134 N/A on Cali 91 octane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJEIY5OJ68g
Old 06-16-2008, 10:54 PM
Senior Chief

I agree with Goat Racer's comments and Shaker455. After several years of trying carbs and tuning and getting "advice" from local guys who are supposedly good with Holleys I finally got fed up with it. After talking to Jeff (Shaker455) I knew he was the guy. Highly recommended and knew what he was talking about. I have barely scratched the surface with tuning my new carb but it is waayyyy better than anything I have run before. He built me an 850 annular and I love it, and I still have some fine tuning to do. -Jesse

Old 06-17-2008, 08:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It's completely "hit and miss" to buy a production carb and have it be dead on in all areas right out of the box. There is no such thing. More times than not, the new owner will be ready to dink it off the nearest dumpster before they figure out the ideal modifications and settings required to get it to work correctly in all areas.

Jeff built a custom unit for us, excellent right out of the box, we've ran it on the street, loaned it out for dyno runs, tested it at the track, and still have yet to touch anything other than the idle speed and mixture screws.

A few years earlier, I tried to set up a really nice Holley 4781-2 850 that we had laying around here. I had to assist the efforts of Tom Vaught to get it dialed in. If Tom wouldn't have stepped up to help, I would have got to hear my favorite noise once again, a Holley carb dinking off the dumpster!

Seriously, if you are well versed in carb tuning, buy a carb with plenty of potential for your application, a host of jets, power valves, screw in bleeds, cams, squirters, etc, and go after it. Or, buy a custom unit set up for your application, where someone has spent the time to "cut to the chase", and enjoy it......Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 06-17-2008, 01:06 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. I am not the well versed at carb tuning, so I think the HP series or Pro Systems might be the ticket for now.

ATI with aluminum hub?