Old 06-15-2008, 04:20 AM

Default oops what did I do now?

Ok since I started restoring my gto I have learned alot. I think this forum is amazing and a great resource. I have read the prevous post on tdc and installing a distributor, but I'm still a little confused. Today I dropped in my distributor, took off the cap, took off the number 1 plug on the block, cranked the engine by hand to what I thought was tdc. lined up the timing groove with about the 6 degree mark on the balancer. put the distributer cap back on while lineing up with a plug wire to make my number one. Then I put the wires back on counter clock wise with this firing order 18436572.Now I have no spark . So what did I do, I'm gussing it was on the wrong tdc stroke? The engine is the stock 400 for a 68 gto.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Even if you got the distributor in 180 degrees out you would still have a spark it just wouldn't be at the right time for each cylinder.

No spark could be:
No 12 Volts at the coil
Ground wire from distributor to coil not connected or bad
Bad coil
Points not set correctly
Bad rotor or cap or both

If you got it lined up 180 out you would get a spark and a lot of backfiring, etc..

Sure fire way to know if you are at TDC is to pop the left valve cover and watch the intake rocker while turning the engine by hand. Once you see it open and start to close continue turning until the timing marks are lined up. That will be TDC.

Don

My 70 Judge Restoration documented at: http://thejudge.dyndns-home.com:8080/
Old 06-15-2008, 11:57 AM

ok i'll check for power at the coil, the hei WAS working prevously, but I guess it xould have gone dodgy, it had some kind of powder on the inside of the cap where the rotor makes contact, as well as a bent connection knob which I straightened, I tried sanding off the the powder , but then decided I was going to replace it and leave it until after I'm done school next year. Maybe I should replace it, but I don't understand how it vould go bad all of a sudden. I''l see if the coil is getting power.

Old 06-15-2008, 05:11 PM

ok found the problem, one of my splices came lose and blew a fuse. thanks for the info on tdc A1Judge, I'll try that when I put in a new distributor.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

just to confirm your self. pull #1 plug. (get 2 buddies) 1 to turn motor BY HAND other to stick finger in #1 spark plug hole. when the piston comes up on compression it will blow your finger away. This will start as soon as its on compression stroke. tell the engine turner to stop at 12 degrees before TDC if you can. or TDC... the point where no more air pushes your finger BUT WATCH WHERE YOU ARE ON THE BALANCER. I always keep a spare dist cap with #1 terminal cut off so i can see the rotor in pahes with the terminal. you want to be 12-15 degrees before TDC to start NOT dead on TDC. hook up timing light & make final adjustments in tuning........ PRIME THE ENGINE BEFORE STARTING if sitting a while

AC Cobra Kit Car 521 670 HP/715 Trq
LOOKING FOR V PARTS !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-16-2008, 10:31 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWEETJUDGE View Post
just to confirm your self. pull #1 plug. (get 2 buddies) 1 to turn motor BY HAND other to stick finger in #1 spark plug hole. when the piston comes up on compression it will blow your finger away. This will start as soon as its on compression stroke. tell the engine turner to stop at 12 degrees before TDC if you can. or TDC... the point where no more air pushes your finger BUT WATCH WHERE YOU ARE ON THE BALANCER. I always keep a spare dist cap with #1 terminal cut off so i can see the rotor in pahes with the terminal. you want to be 12-15 degrees before TDC to start NOT dead on TDC. hook up timing light & make final adjustments in tuning........ PRIME THE ENGINE BEFORE STARTING if sitting a while
UNHOOK THE COIL BEFORE YOU DO THIS

Old 06-21-2008, 10:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It would be bad if the engine started with your finger over the hole and hands all over the engine - unhooking the coil is a great idea sixtee8gto

Old 06-23-2008, 09:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

OH SH*T........ by hand not mechanical.... I missed that sorry

Old 06-23-2008, 11:41 PM

You all were very helpful, hopefully this thread will help others. Thank you very much!

Old 06-24-2008, 12:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

people who dont know about these forums are lost in the dark........