Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 10-19-2008, 07:42 PM

Default Oil Pan sitting on steering Linkage

Whats up with that. New motor mounts, original motor,67 gto. Is it possible the whole front suspension sagged and pushed up the linkage into the oil pan. I don't think there is a way to tilt the motor, unless the tranny is sitting to high in the rear. The fan also hits the shroud on occasion, I think its the wrong shroud (no cut out on the bottom). There is a lot of clearance on my Lemans parts car in the same area. I am taking the power steering off and putting it on the gto. No frame damage, nothing obvious as far as I can tell. Any suggestions........thanks.........mike

Old 10-20-2008, 08:38 PM

The oil pan would be sitting on the center link if I read you right. The center link height has nothing to do with the front suspension sagging. It is held in position by the steering gearbox on one side and the idler arm on the other. Loosen the two bolts holding the idler to the frame, make sure the center link is parallel to the crossmember and tighten it up. My guess would be that you used some generic front motor mounts that put the motor to low.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Maybe the wrong pitman arm

Old 10-20-2008, 10:47 PM

Most of the time when I've seen this the mounts are junk.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 10-21-2008, 12:18 AM

Trans crossmember may be bent upward from someone using it to jack up the car.

Trans mount may be too tall, some of the aftermarket ones (urethane) are taller than the originals.

Some of the new rubber engine mounts don't allow the engine to sit at the right height, a little thinner than originals.

Any one of these items or a combination will cause the engine to tilt forward on the mounts, making the fan hit the shroud and the pan hit the centerlink.

Some aftermarket replacement oil pans are 'fat' in the front, not shaped quite the same as OEM originals. This alone may cause centerlink interference.

Some of the replacement parts are pretty bad.