Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 10-27-2008, 08:01 AM

Default Street ??? Anti rollbar

Has anyone had experience with running an anti roll bar HR, Spohn, BMR , DMR set up on the street. I understand that they can cause a considerable of oversteer (dangerous), if so can that be offset by using a larger bar in the front?

Thanks

Old 10-27-2008, 08:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

roll bars are tuning devices putting a rear bar that is too large will cause oversteer, adding a larger front bar would bring things back into balance BUT the front suspension is independent so why tie it together with a very stiff sway bar?!, the correct way to do things is with the right springs and shocks and use sway bars as intended tuning device.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:36 AM

I caught the drag racing bug and figure I need the anti roll bar in the rear,the car this year lifts the front wheels quite a bit but at different heights major twist, and I need to level out the launch. Installed QA1 coil overs in the front and double adjustables in the rear also to help (have not tried out yet, season is over and its suppose to snow tommorrow). I still intend to drive on the street a fair bit and now have the age old dilema of street vs strip set ups.
Thanks

Old 10-27-2008, 09:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

well for drag racing yes a good rear bar will help launch straight but as loong as you are awayr of the side affects

Old 10-27-2008, 06:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was running no sway bars on my 95 t/a then went with a bmr extreme anti roll bar to help it hook level.The car rode much better on the street with far less body roll around corners but I would think you wont notice a huge difference as you are running a front sway bar on the street.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up HR Parts & Stuf bar...............

I use the HR anti-rollbar on my street/strip/touring GTO, along w/ a 1 3/8" front sway bar. This combo provides flat cornering, neutral steering, and hands-free straight launches. For drag racing, I loosen one end link on the front bar to allow the front end to raise quickly, allowing weight transfer to the rear for traction.

Les
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0002.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	146779  

'65 Buick Sport Wagon Custom, 340, T350, 3:23
'66 GTO Post/468, 700R4, 3.31 (Mike's as of 9-16)
'68 Grand Prix/455, dual AFBs, T400, 2:93 posi (sold)
'72 TA tribute/461, T400, 3.08, (Russ's as of 9-16)
'97 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Turbo, Konis, 5 speed
'09 Torrent GXP, nav, Sun & Sound pkg., Bilsteins
Old 10-28-2008, 12:15 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by '69ragr View Post
I caught the drag racing bug and figure I need the anti roll bar in the rear,the car this year lifts the front wheels quite a bit but at different heights major twist, and I need to level out the launch. Installed QA1 coil overs in the front and double adjustables in the rear also to help (have not tried out yet, season is over and its suppose to snow tommorrow). I still intend to drive on the street a fair bit and now have the age old dilema of street vs strip set ups.
Thanks
I just put a BMR drag swaybar on my car ,rides great ,handles great , oversteer?

I took off the factory bar ,that does nothing compared to this bar but did also help.
my car is a street/ strip car ,check my links that's the way it is on the street

make sure the rear is free and no binding in the control arms
the only thing that hurts my street driving is no swaybar up front and the skinny tires. alittle push ,the BMR bar also helped take some of that out also .

the car is smooth cruising car despite the mods I have made , I'm not a road racing on the street ,just cruise nites and car shows

Old 10-28-2008, 08:07 PM

Thanks GTOLIB, awesome video and pictures, what springs, shock etc do you have on all four corners?

Old 10-28-2008, 10:32 PM
Senior Chief

Moroso trick springs front and rear ,CE shocks f/r
I want to got o QA-1 shocks in the rear sometime in the future