Old 01-02-2009, 11:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default '65 non A/C w/steel fan shroud

Was there a scenario(factory or dealer installed) where a '65 w/o AC would have been equipped with a steel fan shroud? If so, what are the details, i.e. only with the taller radiator/deeper core support/only with some other equipment/option, etc.? I've been searching the forums, but can't seem to find the definitive answer. I see numerous posts outlining details on many combinations for various years, but nobody seems to address this specific question. Maybe I've missed something.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe on a police car, ambulance or the like, but not on anything we drive.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I am going to disagree with Bob. I know that for 1964, if you ordered the Radiator heavy duty 432, and the Fan heavy duty 644, you got the bigger 4 pass radiator and the metal fan shroud. I have some pictures of the 64 engine compartment of this car that was ordered new by brother. I can see the shroud in some pictures and I have no recollection of him upgrading it as he got every performance option available with no power anything. It also came with that lovely huge aluminum blade fan that I have hanging on a nail in the garage.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This has been discussed/debated before, though I can't recall in what context.

Aceaceca's brother's car was an exceptionally rare '64 GTO. It is the only '64 GTO that I have ever come across that was equipped with the UPC M21, Sales Code 778 Close Ratio 4 spd trans that became available late in the Model Year.

This option was offered for '65, listed on the '65 All Series Special Equipment Order Form and could only be ordered in combination with a number of additional mandatory options. There is no question that when this option was made available for '64, the same mandatory options were coupled to it and the original documentation that aceaceca has fully supports this.

These options were GTO Package, Tri-Power Engine, Safe-T-Track, HD Brakes with Metallic Linings and 3.90 rear axle preference, HD Radiator and HD Fan.

Get back to this in a sec.

All '64 & '65 Pontiac A bodies with A/C used a large metal shroud with an opening sized for the larger dia. fan that they were also equipped with.

There is also no doubt that a smaller shroud was used in production with the smaller diameter fan on some applications.

I believe these applications included the two Tempest Police Group Options, the Taxi Group Option and the two Trailering Group Options, all unless A/C was also ordered.

The p/n for this smaller shroud was 9774621 and may have been fiberglass. The opening for it was sized to fit the smaller dia. fan used without A/C.

This smaller shroud was also used for A/C when dealer installed.

Okay, now back to the GTO.

Based on the factory Inspector's Guide for '64, the HD Radiator was Not Available with the GTO Option early in the year. However, this limitation may only have applied to the Tri-Power GTO. At that time, the 4 bbl GTO got the thinner Rad except with A/C and conceivably, it would have been acceptable to order the HD Rad in a 4 bbl to get the thicker Rad. The Tri-Power got the thicker Rad as standard equipment early year. Later, the standard axle release for the Tri-Power was changed from 3.55 to 3.23. It appears that when this change occurred, the Tri-Power rad was changed to the same one as used with the 4 bbl.

Consequently, it was would have been possible to allow the HD Rad option for a Tri-Power. Not certain it was offered, just that there would have been a Rad available that would have been considered a HD upgrade from the standard GTO Rad for both 4 bbl & Tri-Power.

The HD Fan was another matter. Here it is less clear. For the 6 cyl cars, the HD Fan was the same as used with A/C cars. For the 326 cars, the HD Fan option got you a larger dia. fan, but it was not the declutching fan used with A/C cars. The GTO got a declutching small dia. fan as standard. It is not clear if you could order the HD Fan with the GTO. If you could, the only upgrade would have been to the larger dia. declutching fan that was used with A/C.

None of this says anything about the Shroud.

Even if you could order a HD Rad and/or a HD Fan for the GTO, there is nothing that I can find that says a Shroud would have been installed.

Aceaceca may be right that doing so may have gotten you the Shroud. However, there is an alternate explanation that might apply. The Shroud may have been included with the particular combination that was ordered for his brother's car.

Perhaps the Shroud was dictated by the Close Ratio Trans or perhaps only related to the HD Brakes with 3.90 rear axle preference.

The HD Brakes with Metallic Linings was an available option for most any application, not just GTO. When you specified the 3.90 Rear Axle Preference with the Metallic Brake option, Safe-T-Track, HD Rad, & HD Fan were mandatory additional options.

It is possible that any A body with the Metallic Brakes and 3.90 axle received the HD Rad & large dia. Fan plus the Shroud. The close ratio trans was certainly more common in '65 but you might be able to find several '65 GTOs with the 3.90 Metallic Brake option with or without the close ratio trans and determine if they were built with the factory metal Shroud.

My opinion is that neither the HD Rad or the HD Fan options by themselves or together would have gotten a Shroud.

But if you got the 3.90 axle with Metallic Brakes, the Shroud may have been included. I believe this is likely true for '64 & '65. That would explain the Shroud on Aceaceca's brother's GTO.

It would also mean that a GTO (or any other A body) with factory Metallic Brakes and 3.90 Rear Axle might have received the metal Shroud.

The larger metal shroud was p/n 9775959 and was apparently superseded by a fiberglass shroud for '66, p/n 9783757 that may have been used at mid to late year in '65 as well.

Terry, I know this isn't a definitive answer. No 6 cyl applications used a Shroud from what I can tell. And I believe only the tall Rads (with matching core support) would have used the larger metal Shroud. Field installation of A/C was possible for a V8 car with the short Rad and the smaller fiberglass Shroud was used but presumably that was because the smaller dia. Fan was retained since the small Shroud was used with tall and short Rads. Whether a large Shroud will readily mount to the short Rad, I have no idea, but there were no factory or planned dealer combinations for this arrangement that I'm aware of. Certainly, somebody with a short Rad car (and matching core support) could have swapped to the larger Fan and installed the large Shroud, I just don't know if it was an easy bolt in or required some mods. But I'm pretty sure that Pontiac had no planned combination like this.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Two comments:
1. My ’64 GTO came with tri-power, the tall 4 core radiator and a 3.23 rear gear ratio. It was built the 3rd week in March.
2. A few years ago I was driving Jim Wangers home from the races when he said “I bet I know something about the ’64 GTO that you are not aware of”. He went on to say that no ’64 GTO was ever delivered with an M-21 transmission. I knew it was listed on the options list, but I didn’t order it as I did not want the metallic brakes (my wife drove the car also). Jim said there were not enough M-21’s manufactured that year to support all of the demand so the ones destined for Pontiac’s were allocated to the Corvette’s.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to 3 Deuce 64

[QUOTE=Old Man Taylor;3524109]
1. My ’64 GTO came with tri-power, the tall 4 core radiator and a 3.23 rear gear ratio. It was built the 3rd week in March.

Mine did also April 23 64 build date trips tall 4 core small dia aluminum clutch fan 3.23 w 20 on the option sheet HD rad is checked . When I bought my car there was no fan guard or shroud .

Old 01-03-2009, 03:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

As usual I believe John is spot on with his assessment. I do note on the Broadcast Notice for the 64 GTO, the only mention of an HD Fan is typed in in the Special Instructions box at the bottom. There is no category in the 15 or so possible HD Equipment section.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jim, I don't know Jim Wangers, but it is my contention that I established that the Code 9 trans was NOT a close ratio many years before Jim Wangers had a clue about it. I originally shared what I discovered with Pete McCarthy in the early '90s. At the time, Pete remained convinced that the Code 9 was "intended" to be special and believed that applications for it were "switched" at the factory for the Code W trans because of shortages of the Code 9. I knew that to be false, but could not convince a guy like Pete M. I guess. All cars that were supposed to get the Code 9 trans, got it, there was no switching going on. The thing Pete and others didn't seem to comprehend was that Pontiac intended the Code 9 trans to be a wide ratio right from the beginning.

Since I knew the Special Equipment Option Close Ratio Trans for '65 was the Code 8 Trans, I immediately speculated that there may have been a Code 8 close ratio trans released late in '64, and began to search for evidence of it.

Finally, the documentation along with the VIN matched close ratio trans that Aceaceca still has proved that it did exist in '64.

If you are familiar with the '64 Fremont Window Sticker, you will know that the options are listed in a much different order than they were on either the '64 Pontiac Plant or Kansas City/Balt Plant Window Stickers. At Fremont they are listed in alphabetical order by UPC, and then the W62 GTO Group option is the last option listed on the Fremont Window Sticker. But in addition to the UPC and the option description for each individual option, the Pontiac numeric Sales Code is also shown.

There is no doubt about this, on the original Fremont Window Sticker (not an incorrect reproduction such as PHS and others sell), the close ratio trans is identified as:

M21 4 SPD SYNC TRANS 778 175.00

The Sales Code 778 translates to the Code 8 as I had predicted, just as the Code W is Sales Code 77W and the Code 9 is Sales Code 779.

Although I do not have the manifest for the car, it was produced sometime around May. The eagle eyed might note that $175 is not the price for the 4 spd listed in Eric White's Reference Guide for the M21, I can't be sure why.

I do not know where Wanger's would have come up with the idea that M21s destined for Pontiacs went into Corvettes instead. I think that is pure BS. I do know that at least one '64 GTO did get built with the M21.

I also contend that Pontiac did not originally intend to offer the close ratio trans in '64, it was not listed as an available option in the early printings of the GTO Sales Brochure.

The first mention of it in the Sales Brochure carries a Reprint Date of 4/17/64. This is consistent with my view that Pontiac released the close ratio trans for intended 1st use in the '65 GTO around March 1964 as components for the '65 were being designed and associated p/ns were released and then made it available in the '64 GTO as a late year offering once it was a valid part.

The Code 9 trans was nothing special at all except that it was needed for any A body equipped with 4 spd & 3.90 rear axle (including 6 cyl application, yes there was one such critter available). In this case, the 4 spd required a 6 tooth internal speedo drive gear (instead of 8 tooth) and this was the Code 9 wide ratio trans.

At least some of the confusion back in '64 may have been caused by the supposed trans in the Blue Car & Driver car. I suspect Wangers provided the specs to C & D, the article claims the car had a close ratio trans. But that was not true, not unless Royal swapped one in. At the time the car was built, Pontiac did not offer the close ratio Muncie. The article also provides the tranny ratios, but they are Borg Warner ratios, not Muncie. Again, Wangers may have been the source of the misinformation.

Aceaceca, what is the dia. of the original Fan?

Old 01-04-2009, 12:51 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:

"It is possible that any A body with the Metallic Brakes and 3.90 axle received the HD Rad & large dia. Fan plus the Shroud."

I have a question for John V. Was the 3.90 Gear Speedo gear a steel gear vs a plastic gear?

My car had the 3.90 Rear Axle with the Metallic Brake option, Safe-T-Track, HD Rad (4 core + deep height), & HD Fan, It did not have the Metal Shroud. Car was built in April, 1964. Trans was "W" code.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The fan is the same as on the 65 Air conditioned car. It has the little blade notches for power steering pump clearance even though the car was all manual. I wanted to use it once on my 71 Suburban with all the h/d stuff but it would not fit in the shroud. I also planned to use it on my current project 65 GTO with the shortl radiator. I purchased the shroud for the small radiator and was advised that the big shroud would probably not work. Alas , there it hangs on a nail in the garage. If I remember it is 19 plus inches in diameter. They are huge. I also remember them in action, blowing the leaves on the ground as they keep the big 389 cool.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Now for my input... The M-21/3:90 was not the deciding factor for a shroud... here are some basics this is a well known since new car... Car is gone(crushed) all but a few parts left. one being the tranny. Iris mist 65' 4-BBl M21 3:90 power steering small rad no shroud. Again this IS a M21and Was 3:90 4-BBL.

and for input #2

I think it was said above that no 6 cyl Temp recieved a shroud in 64'....
That is also not the case. I removed a small rad, fan shroud off a 64 6cyl Tempest safari this was an Air cond 6 cyl 2 spd wagon.... (Ill bet that was a go getter off the line in the summer............................................ ................................are we moving yet?)

my cars
Old 01-04-2009, 08:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default '65 non A/C w steel fan shroud

This is an informative discussion, so thanks to all contributing. I have installed an A/C core support, tall 4 core radiator, and metal fan shroud on my '65 even though it does not have A/C. I wanted all the cooling capacity I could muster. Still appears to be some debate about whether this would have been a combo offered by factory/dealer, but it will at least make for lively discussions at cruise nights once I get the car finished.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

John V - Thanks for the detailed explanation, I'm sure you are correct.

Tom - When I upgraded my old M-20 to run 3.90's I bought the six tooth gear from the factory to make the speedo correct. At that time the gear was metal, but I believe it was changed later to be plastic.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom, I would believe the 6 tooth speedo gear in an original code 9 '64 M20 was metal, same as OMT bought as a service part.

I do know the 8 tooth speedo gear in my code W '64 M20 was/is metal. You ARE asking about the internal speedo drive gear pressed on the mainshaft, correct?

I don't recall that your Trans was code W or code 9. I do recall that I explained the stamped "W" that you thought marked the trans code was actually the "M" that was part of the VIN stamp on the case. I don't remember if the trans p/n tag still is attached to your trans or not. I also don't recall if the 3.90 axle in your GTO was documented by the Shipping Order or possibly swapped in (I vaguely recall that the Shipping Order may have shown code 3K for the Rear Axle Code, was Box 33 blank)? Was the HD Rad Manifest code identified on your document or the thinner Rad?

Zbuickman, that 6 cyl wagon with A/C and Shroud is interesting. I just couldn't find evidence of a Shroud for the 6 cyl but didn't search too hard.

But I have to question the '65 M21 in a 4 bbl car. A 4 bbl GTO with 3.90 axle preference should have been built with a code 9 4 spd. Same as '64, the only difference between the code W and the code 9 was the internal speedo drive gear. Is the p/n tag still attached to this trans?

Something doesn't add up. Either the trans is not a close ratio, or the car was a Tri-Power, or the trans wasn't original to the car, or the trans was converted to close ratio gearing.

Tri-Power was a mandatory option if you wanted to order the Close Ratio Trans from the All Series Special Equipment Order Form.

You didn't have to order the Close Ratio trans to get the 3.90 axle, but you had to order Tri-Power and 3.90 to get the Close Ratio.

And the HD Rad was mandatory with the 3.90 axle preference. You say the car had the small Rad. Either the Rad was not factory or maybe the 3.90 axle was not factory.

I wouldn't want to base a determination that the 3.90 axle preference did or did not dictate a Shroud using an example that does not sound quite right.

Terry, all GTOs should have the tall core support. If (and it is still open for debate) the Metal Shroud was used on any non-A/C GTO from the factory, I would assume it would have the larger fan, same one that Aceaceca describes, and yes it is 19.5" dia. with the notches for belt clearance and used a specific clutch as well.

All of these parts were serviced, so when I commented that there were no planned Dealer installations of the Metal Shroud, that really only pertains to a field installation of A/C as example. If somebody wanted to improve the cooling of their brand new '65 GTO, they could have readily obtained all the necessary parts, (19.5" fan, A/C fan clutch, HD Rad, and Metal Shroud) from the Parts Dept. at any dealership.

It would not be "factory correct" and there was no Dealer Accessory Package to facilitate the conversion, but the parts could be purchased individually and installed readily. There really shouldn't be any debate about that.

If your GTO was originally equipped with HD Rad and HD Fan and 3.90 axle and M21 Trans, it MAY have had a Metal Shroud from the factory, that is the thing that we are trying to establish. Unless your car got all of these factory options, so far the evidence would suggest that it did not get the Shroud from the factory. Certainly, the HD Rad option alone did not include any Shroud.

And unless you were using the 19.5" dia. Fan, you would not have used the Metal Shroud since the opening for it was sized for the larger Fan.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

John V PM's not working tonight Ill research that a little more... Step father may still have the title

my cars
Old 01-05-2009, 09:01 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:

"Tom, I would believe the 6 tooth speedo gear in an original code 9 '64 M20 was metal, same as OMT bought as a service part."

Well, mine was a metal 6 tooth gear on the trans output shaft. It was that way when I got the car.

I do know the 8 tooth speedo gear in my code W '64 M20 was/is metal. You ARE asking about the internal speedo drive gear pressed on the mainshaft, correct?

Yes. See above

I don't recall that your Trans was code W or code 9. I do recall that I explained the stamped "W" that you thought marked the trans code was actually the "M" that was part of the VIN stamp on the case."

I did not hear all of that conversation as I was traveling to the storage area with my cell phone when I looked for the # & Stamp.
"M" on the trans case makes sense being a KC built GTO.

I don't remember if the trans p/n tag still is attached to your trans or not. I also don't recall if the 3.90 axle in your GTO was documented by the Shipping Order or possibly swapped in (I vaguely recall that the Shipping Order may have shown code 3K for the Rear Axle Code, was Box 33 blank)?

Box 33 was Blank.

Original Build sheet clearly shows 3K axle code (3.23 Posi). Car as you know had 3.90s when I got it.

Was the HD Rad Manifest code identified on your document or the thinner Rad?

Radiator Code was 50 According to you 17.5" x 2" (no oil cooler fittings) My car was built in April, You responded to "Dick" one time that you had a KC built Tri-power car M/T with code 50. (was that my car?) My car is not really that late. Maybe you now have TWO code 50 GTOs.

43K Heavy Duty radiator on Build Sheet. PHS says 432 is code for HD Rad.

But I have to question the '65 M21 in a 4 bbl car. A 4 bbl GTO with 3.90 axle preference should have been built with a code 9 4 spd. Same as '64, the only difference between the code W and the code 9 was the internal speedo drive gear. Is the p/n tag still attached to this trans?

Trans tag was not attached to my trans. Speedo Code on Build Sheet was "A"

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Zbuickman, worth checking for more info, I'm always looking to learn.

Tom, you and I discussed your document, but you never copied me on it.

If your trans had the 6 tooth speedo drive gear and the 2.56 1st gear then it was DEFINITELY a code 9 Trans.

Something just occurred to me that I don't think I had ever considered about your GTO. It occurs to me that the build order for your car was changed. I have numerous documents that contain handwritten notes that reflect changes from the way the Manifest or Shipping Order was coded to how it was actually built. Example, if the Custom Steering Wheel was ordered but the car was built with the Deluxe Steering Wheel instead, that might be indicated on the document by handwritten notes that reflect an add/delete and a credit/debit relative to the original dealer invoice. I have a couple that show a GTO coded for a 4 bbl but changed to a Tri-Power. The change could be something insignificant to something major.

Apparently your document does not have any such handwritten notations, but it now seems likely to me that the drivetrain was changed from what was originally ordered and coded to what was actually built.

By the sound of it, the document was coded for the optional Safe-T-Track Differential but with the standard release 3.23 axle ratio (Tri-Power got 3.55 as the standard release early in the '64 Model Year, but this was revised to 3.23 by the time yours was built).

The Rad matched to the 3.23 axle was the code 50 2" core. And the wide ratio 4 spd Trans matched to the 3.23 axle was the code RB or WY on the KC Form (the code changed around the time yours was built, but both codes are for the wide ratio trans with the 8 tooth speedo gear).

Code A Speedo Gear is for the external Speedo Driven Gear and is correct for the 3.23 axle and 7.50x14 tire.

It now appears to me that your order was changed AFTER the document was coded and the change was to switch from the 3.23 standard release axle to the 3.90 axle preference. This meant a myriad of changes to what is coded on your document, and from what you have reported matches how the car was equipped when you got it.

First off, the trans was changed to the code 9 wide ratio, your confirmation that the trans had the 6 tooth speedo gear confirms this. Same price, nothing special, just the 6 tooth internal speedo gear in an otherwise normal wide ratio Muncie as needed to assure speedometer accuracy with the 3.90 axle and 7.50x14 tires.

The external speedo gear would have been 17 tooth (black color) instead of the 19 tooth (natural color) needed for the 3.23 axle. I have never documented a 3.90 axle KC car so I do not know what speedo code would have applied, possibly D but certainly not A. In any event, just another indicator that your car was initially coded for a standard 3.23 axle but was built as a 3.90.

The Rad would have been changed from the code 50 2" core to the code 59 2.63" core (no oil cooler). The code 58 with oil cooler would have been an acceptable substitution.

The 3.90 axle preference was only available with the Metallic Brake Linings and Box 33 would have had a "P" code in it had the 3.90 axle preference been chosen at the outset.

A blank in Box 33 generally means that the standard axle preference was being supplied. The "1" in Box 32 that I am certain IS coded on your form indicates the Safe-T-Track Differential option since that option was apparently ordered at the outset (as confirmed by the 3K rear axle code on the document).

Lots of Tri-Power GTOs were coded for and equipped with the 2" core Rad. As I mentioned, I'm pretty sure this change was made when the standard release axle ratio for the T-P was changed from 3.55 to 3.23. Like the 3.90, the 3.55 axle required the HD Rad. Early '64 GTOs with Tri-Power got the HD Rad as standard since the 3.55 axle was standard. Late T-P GTOs got the 2" core Rad with 3.23 axle. Your car WOULD have gotten that combo but the change to 3.90 axle dictated the change to the Rad. Your document says code 50 but that is not the Rad the car was built with.

As I said, often these changes were picked up in Accounting and handwritten notes were added to the document. It is impossible to know how many cars were built with equipment not matched to the document that did NOT reflect the changes on the form by hand,

This would go a long way to explaining some of the variations on your GTO vs. what would be deciphered from the doc. I'm assuming the doc you got way back when is a copy of the same record you would get from PHS today, so apparently this add/delete was not recorded.

It doesn't account for everything "odd" about your car. The Mech Carb Linkage I still believe (as I think you do also) is evidence of the available Dealer Kit for instance. And there is the unusual wood dash applique over the swirled insert, whether evidence of some factory issue or added post-factory, who knows.

But I think the riddle of the 3.90 axle in your car vs. what is indicated on the document is unravelled.

Your trans was never a code W, it was always a code 9.

The Trans Code on your document (RB or WY) would have called for a code W trans to mate with the planned 3.23 axle.

If the document shows a Trans Code of RB, then most likely the p/n of the planned trans would have been 9774825. I have speculated that the reason KC (and Baltiimore) changed this Trans Code to WY around the time your car was built was the possibility that the new p/n for this trans that superseded 9774825 may have been released by then. The new p/n for the code W Trans (as used for '65) was 9780800.

The code 9 Trans actually installed in your car was either the '64 p/n 9774826 or possibly the '65 p/n for this code 9 Trans which was 9780986. Too bad the p/n tag is missing, would have been interesting to see which one was actually installed. But I am very confident that I have sorted this out correctly.

The code 43K has nothing to do with the Rad. PHS is "correct", Pontiac Sales Code 432 identifies the HD Rad option. But since KC did not code the Shipping Order according to Pontiac Sales Codes, Box 43 on the KC Form has nothing to do with the Rad. Invariably, KC placed a code in Box 43 when the Back-up Lamps Option was ordered. The code "K" is very common. I have not fully deciphered it, however I have speculated that it may have coded the Protection Group Option, as the Back-up Lamps option was part of this package Group.

To get back to the topic, since your car did not have a Shroud, I would also accept that the 3.90 axle by itself did not dictate a Shroud, otherwise your GTO would have gotten a Shroud.

Earlier, you said you also got the HD Fan. That may also have been required with the 3.90 axle. But I'd like to be sure you got the 19.5" dia. Fan with the notched blades. Please confirm.

If it did, then that only leaves Aceaceca's brother's GTO that his photo evidence shows the Shroud. The only differences between his car and yours that might have dictated the Shroud while yours didn't is the Close Ratio Trans in his car and the fact it was built at Fremont, not KC. I still think it is possible that the Shroud was dictated by the Close Ratio Trans unless it turns out you got the smaller diameter Fan.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:10 PM
Boost Engineer

According to the Pontiac Info I received from the "lady" many years ago:

W62 = GTO (Gran Turismo Omolagato) Included dual exhaust, interior identification

303 = M20 = 4 speed, manual transmission (floor shift)
31X = L71 = 389 Triple 2 BBL V8
321 = G80 = Positraction
Y96 = Handling Package
348 = N40 = Power Steering
J50 = Power Brakes (THE CAR CAME WITH MANUAL BRAKES)
382 = F40 = Heavy Dudy Springs and Shocks

431 = T86 = Back up Lamps
44J = U75 = Power Antenna
U63 = Push Button AM radio
452 = C11 = 2 speed W-Shield wipers and washers
465 = A02 = Tinted Windshield
D31 = Tilt Visor Mirror
471 = B70 = Instrument panel Cushion
476 = U35 = Electric Clock (See Below)
U27 = Instrument panel Glove Box Lite
486 = P02 = Custom Wheel Discs
= P17 = Spare Tire Cover
50A = N34 = Custom Sport Steering Wheel
514 = A49 = Front Seat belts with Retractors
54A = B93 = Door Edge Guards
56E = U28 = Ash tray lamp
605 = D33 = Remote Outside Mirror
= D34 = Visor Vanity Mirror
62A = D55 = Front Floor Console
633 = B32-B33 = Front and Rear Floor Mats

350-367 = 750 x 14 Red Line Tires

531 = Top C05 = Ivory
Trim Color D ??? (Code on Body Plate??? (lady's question)
43K ??????
Notes:

Car was built with the Mechanical Linkage "Kit" (as received)
No mention of "Splitters" but car had Short "Splitters"
Camshaft was "L" Code stamped (later changed to #10 McKellar)

I also added the following to the car over the years:

392 = U16 = tachometer (instead of the clock Clock quit working)

56C = U25 = Luggage lamp (Trunk) "Reel Light"

I Moved the Radio Antenna to the front after the RR fender and antenna motor assembly was damaged by the Pizza vehicle.

I had the left fender replaced after it was hit by the Corvette street racer as I was turning right into a parking lot.

Scott Tiemann made the car into a Heater Delete car after I found the Heater delete pieces.

Interior has since been changed to Black from Red interior after window broken and interior trashed by thieves.

So the car looks stock, but is not as shipped from the Zone Office.

Hope the codes help you, and others, John on the KC Vehicles.
Sorry for the Hijack, Terry, but this might help you on your "Kit" linkage car too.

Tom Vaught

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 01-06-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom, most of the decodes you were given are same as I have deciphered with lots of research.

I'm curious about how you determined that 56C would be the Luggage Lamp Option. Did you get decodes for codes that weren't coded on your document?

Wish I knew what became of whatever decode document that was being used. Apparently PHS is unaware of it.

The code 348 is one of the more interesting on your document.

341 is Power Steering
342 is Power Brakes
343 is the combination of PS & PB

The UPC Y96 Pontiac Sales Code 612 Rally Handling Kit was almost certainly coded in this Box as well. For a GTO, the Y96 option got you the UPC F40 Pontiac Sales Code 621 HD Springs & Shocks (no special springs offered for a GTO, only the HD Shocks) plus the Quick Ratio 20:1 Manual Steering Box.

KC did code the UPC F40 / Sales Code 621 as code 382, whether it was ordered independently or when the Rally Handling Kit was ordered.

Power Steering and Quick Ratio Manual Steering were obviously mutually exclusive, so 348 could not have combined the Q.R. Steering with Power Steering. Perhaps whoever was reading the sheet misread or misinterpreted something.

But it was possible to combine Power Brakes with Q.R. Steering.

It is possible that 348 did code that combination. But since your car was built with Standard Brakes and Power Steering, it is conceivable that the Q.R. Steering and PB options were deleted and PS added at the same time the 3.90 axle was added.

Aside from the more common 341, 342, and 343 codes, the only other code I have seen in this Box is 345 and was unable to conclude what it represented.

Given the general accuracy of the other decodes you were given, I'd be inclined to believe that 345 was the code for Q.R. Steering and 348 was Q.R. Steering & Power Brakes and that your car was initially ordered with that combination.

Trim Code D for a Lemans definitely corresponds to the Red interior trim.

In addition to the PB Radio & Power Antenna, I currently show 44J to include the Verbra-Phonic Rear Speaker. Did your car include that option?

Let me know how you came up with the Luggage Lamp being code 56C.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:35 PM
Boost Engineer

At One time I had a Buddy with a 64 GTO with the luggage lamp.
We sent off for the documentation at the same time so I had a copy of his sheet showing the Luggage Lamp code from the same lady.
I am sure the 56C is the correct code for that option.

The car was set up for a one sheeve P/S system. Cast iron Pulley

Yes, I had the Verbra-Phonic Rear Speaker.

Tom Vaught