Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 01-20-2009, 05:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default autolite inline carbs

I remember seeing a cross ram manifold setup w/2 of the carbs but can recall the engine. Were these only a fords only thing?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=

Can't remember the last time I saw one in person or even for sale
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ac73_1.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	155152  

Old 01-20-2009, 05:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, Ford only. Anyone ever see an Autolite carb on anything from GM as installed from the factory?

Old 01-20-2009, 06:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes this is Ford without a doubt. My Bud is running this set up on his 71 Boss 351 Mustang engine runs Big time for a 351!

Old 01-20-2009, 06:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Baker View Post
Yes, Ford only. Anyone ever see an Autolite carb on anything from GM as installed from the factory?
No, as far as I am aware (and Autolite Master Books through 1977), Autolites were installed as factory equipment only on FoMoCo products (Edsel, Ford, Ford Truck, Lincoln, Mercury).

However, "Autolite" is very difficult to place in a pigeon-hole; as they had business practices similar to Montgomery Wards and Sears in procurement of product.

Carter, Holley, Rochester, and Zenith ALL made carburetors for Autolite, which would be tagged with an Autolite tag.

Autolite also had what was referred to as a "Ford design" (ie Autolite 1100, 2100, 4100 series) carburetors which were produced by Holley.

Opinion (others may differ), the 2100 series and 4100 series were terrific carburetors. I never cared much for the 1100's.

Also, "Autolite" and "Motorcraft" seem (at least to me) to be one and the same.

Tom V. may jump in with additional information.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

There is a pic of an experimental dual four Autolite in-line Ram Air IV manifold on page 25 of the Pontiac Racer's & High Performance Handbook written by Angeles & McCarthy. The caption doesn't say nor do I know who owned it then or now. I have one of the large cfm carbs mounted on an Edelbrock tunnel ram for a sb chevy that a old co-worker used to run back in the late '60's or early '70's in a Camaro. I'm not sure how street friendly they are since all 4 barrels open together, but they are neat to look at.

1967 Firebird 400 bench seat, deluxe interior, auto
1965 GTO 462, KRE unported D-port heads, Bullet 234/244 cam, th400, tight 10" converter, 3.73 gears, 87 octane, 3440 lbs. empty,1.59 60ft, 7.159@95.33 (1/8), a real daily driver, been totaled, rolled 3 times, hit a tree airborne.
1961 Catalina 2 door htp
1960 Ventura 4 door htp wife's car
1960 B'ville 2 door htp
1960 Catalina Wagon wife's car too
Old 01-20-2009, 06:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've got a mag. article somewhere that shows 2 in-lines on a 427 Ford, factory made intake.

1967 Firebird 400 bench seat, deluxe interior, auto
1965 GTO 462, KRE unported D-port heads, Bullet 234/244 cam, th400, tight 10" converter, 3.73 gears, 87 octane, 3440 lbs. empty,1.59 60ft, 7.159@95.33 (1/8), a real daily driver, been totaled, rolled 3 times, hit a tree airborne.
1961 Catalina 2 door htp
1960 Ventura 4 door htp wife's car
1960 B'ville 2 door htp
1960 Catalina Wagon wife's car too
Old 01-20-2009, 06:54 PM
Boost Engineer

The Pontiac Intake with the dual carb Inline Autolites was based off of a Doug Nash Intake.

The Inline Autolites came in two cfm sizes. The size change was made with a removable venturi insert and jetting/bleed changes.

The Inline Autolites did not have a "Transition" Circuit. Idle, Accelerator Pump, then "balls to the wall". Buddy had a intake and carb just like the E-bay ad on a Boss 302 in a Maverick. Sucked gas like a MuFoo.

Autolite and Motorcraft are one and the same. Motorcraft followed the Autolite name.

One of the Autolite Engineers who invented the Autolite Inline Carb (later a Ford Engineer), John Medrick (commonly known as "Mad Dog" Medrick) was my direct boss at Ford for about 4 years. You did not want to ride with this guy in a vehicle. He was one crazy son of a gun. He retired from Ford about 5 years ago. He could tell you all of the things that would have made that carb a lot better if he had the chance to do it over.

Yep, I know a little bit about Autolite Inline Carbs. John M. gave me some Autolite manuals on the things, I wish he had given me a couple of the carbs!!

Tom Vaught

ps John M will be in my book.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I wasn't referring to factory as production installations but aftermarket manifolds. I'm guessing Shelby may worked with them for ford. Wasn't sure if Mickey Tompson did anything with them for pontiac or if any of the chevy or mopar builders had anything.

Ducks Goat
Pontiac Racer's & High Performance Handbook
That where I must have see it. My book is either buried somewhere or was borrowed by someone in the 90's

Old 01-20-2009, 07:07 PM
Boost Engineer

Buddy Barr did the castings for the Ford manifolds. Even for the Shelby stuff with Shel's name on them. Nash was the only guy to ever cast up an experimental race type Pontiac intake manifold in the 70s.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:04 PM
Senior Chief

FYI

http://www.barrygrant.com/pr/INDUCTI...ESS_BadMan.htm

Old 01-20-2009, 10:41 PM
Boost Engineer

The Barry Grant Badman actually has some nice features:

A) 4 throttle shafts vs 1 on the autolite inline carb.

The 4 shafts allow two of the barrels to act like primary barrels and 2 of the barrels to act like secondary barrels. Progressive linkage too.

B) The carb is more like a Rochester 2 BBL than a Holley 4 bbl with the removable top.

C) Most of the calibration stuff (Air Bleeds, Jetting, etc will be like a Holley. The "Power Piston" deal will be more like the Rochester 2BBL.

Tom Vaught

Old 01-21-2009, 08:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustedgoat View Post
I wasn't referring to factory as production installations but aftermarket manifolds. I'm guessing Shelby may worked with them for ford. Wasn't sure if Mickey Tompson did anything with them for pontiac or if any of the chevy or mopar builders had anything.

Ducks Goat
Pontiac Racer's & High Performance Handbook
That where I must have see it. My book is either buried somewhere or was borrowed by someone in the 90's
By the time the Autolite inline carb was produced, Mickey's relationship with racing Pontiacs was over for at least 5 years. He was with Ford still at the time (late 60's) and was making a go at it with their SOHC 427.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
The Barry Grant Badman actually has some nice features:

A) 4 throttle shafts vs 1 on the autolite inline carb.

The 4 shafts allow two of the barrels to act like primary barrels and 2 of the barrels to act like secondary barrels. Progressive linkage too.

B) The carb is more like a Rochester 2 BBL than a Holley 4 bbl with the removable top.

C) Most of the calibration stuff (Air Bleeds, Jetting, etc will be like a Holley. The "Power Piston" deal will be more like the Rochester 2BBL.

Tom Vaught
Thanks Tom and we are real excited about it. The SBC version has just gone into the production stages and the SBF is on the dyno. We have also been working on the BBC stuff but really haven't had any inquiries for a Pontiac version so not sure if one will be done at this time. We just took some updated pics this weekend while doing some drivabilty testing and I'll try to post one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Badman35LR.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	156876  

Technical Support

Barry Grant, Inc.

BG Fuel System, Demon Carburetors, Nitrous Works, Rush Filters

www.barrygrant.com
Old 02-06-2009, 12:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech @ BG View Post
We just took some updated pics this weekend while doing some driveabilty testing and I'll try to post one.
Very nice, now build one with Dominator sized throats.
Aesthetic refinement might include an integrated fuel log/reg for cleaner one hose install.
The thermostat housing looks trick? Is that part of the new manifold deal?

My Daddy bought me a car but all I got was this old Pontiac.