Old 01-25-2009, 05:15 PM

Default rechrome bumpers??

Has anyone had any bumpers rechromed lately?? Had my 65 bumpers done 3 times by one replater in charleston,Wv. Still bad job. Looking for some who has had a good experience. Pauls had done my pot metal, but want $1500 for each bumper. Has anybody used Tri City Plating in Tenn.? I live in Ohio, so any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Old 01-25-2009, 05:37 PM

Try Lakeside Custom Plating in Conneaut Ohio. 440 599 2035. e-mail Lakeside@suite224.net
They sent my 65 bumpers to Keystone Plating. They came out very nice and were about $ 500.00 each. You may be able to go to Keystone direct, I believe they are close to Lakeside. Lakeside is in North East Ohio up near the lake. Good luck, Bob C.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:02 PM

Default Chrome Plating in Ohio

Simple. Just did front and rear bumpers on my 1972 pontiac LeMans STATION WAGON. Done @ Archer Custom Chrome in Cleveland. Front and Rear Bumpers (2) for about $ 1,000.00. Six Week turn around, show chrome and almost perfect. No hassles...

1994 25th Anniversary Trans Am WS-6 Clone,
1986 Buick Grand National
Old 01-25-2009, 06:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Keystone in cleveland. You wont be disappointed. I've had many bumpers done by them, including a set of 65 gto bumpers a couple years ago, $340.00 each. If you know someone in their district who has a business you can drop them off there, and they will pick them up and drop them off. If you need to, i'm in akron vicinity, they will stop at my shop anytime. Last set they did for me a few months ago were 64 catalina, beat up and rusty, $500.00 each, came back perfect.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:57 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic396 View Post
Has anyone had any bumpers rechromed lately?? Had my 65 bumpers done 3 times by one replater in charleston,Wv. Still bad job. Looking for some who has had a good experience. Pauls had done my pot metal, but want $1500 for each bumper. Has anybody used Tri City Plating in Tenn.? I live in Ohio, so any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!!
My rear bumper was done by Tri-City. Workmanship was excellent. It cost about $460 total including round trip shipping. That was two years ago.

Tomorrow is often the busiest day of the week.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic396 View Post
Has anyone had any bumpers rechromed lately?? Had my 65 bumpers done 3 times by one replater in charleston,Wv. Still bad job. Looking for some who has had a good experience.
Have to ask "what is a bad job"? Plating lifting? Replating a bumper is hard to screw up. There are only two platers left in my area and have my GTO bumpers in with one of them now.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:27 PM
Senior Chief

Default No Nu-Chrome

I've heard good things about TRI-CITY

Chrome Guy (Thru Hemmings) promises triple plate 2 week turn around.

Do Not Use Nu-Chrome. Google them or see previous posts here. I had to sue them to get my bumper back, as have others. Wish I'd Googled them or checked their BBB standings before I tried to keep the business local.

And with today's economy, I'd be hard pressed to trust anyone without a stellar reputation.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just got mine yesterday for my '64 Tempest wagon rear from The Bumper Boyz. They also did the one on my '64 Conv. several years ago.

I had a '68 Fury a few years back that had Keystone done bumpers on it. The rear had to be redone due to peeling. The Bumper Boyz chrome was way shinier and deeper looking than the Keystone bumpers when side by side.

Not sure if it matters, but Bumper Boyz are close to the border, and with all the EPA regs nowadays, they may have a better way of doing it...

Old 01-26-2009, 12:19 PM
Senior Chief

Any of these places have a web site?

Old 01-26-2009, 05:36 PM

Brown areas where chrome did'nt take. He said they did not have the right anodes

Old 01-26-2009, 09:06 PM
Senior Chief

Here' the one for Tri-City Plating:

http://www.tricityplating.com/

Tomorrow is often the busiest day of the week.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

archer custom chrome cleveland oh 216 441 2795 saw his work at a show was very nice.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by notime View Post
Keystone in cleveland. You wont be disappointed. I've had many bumpers done by them, including a set of 65 gto bumpers a couple years ago, $340.00 each. If you know someone in their district who has a business you can drop them off there, and they will pick them up and drop them off. If you need to, i'm in akron vicinity, they will stop at my shop anytime. Last set they did for me a few months ago were 64 catalina, beat up and rusty, $500.00 each, came back perfect.
Is that Keystone as in Keystone Aftermarket body parts/supplies? Do they really do that nice of a job? I know a guy local here that delivers for them. I'll have to get in touch with him. I need both front & rear bumpers done on my GTO.

1966 GTO Montero Red Hardtop - Holley EFI'd 462, KRE DPorts/Muncie 4spd
1990 Chevy 454SS pickup - Accel DFI/T56 6spd - Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler
1996 Chevy K2500 ECSB 'Poopy'
2002 Honda VTX1800C
2016 Cadillac CTS Premium

My project thread: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=516826

Old 01-26-2009, 10:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not all Keystone bumpers are plated at the same location. I'm local to Louisville KY, and they did mine about five years ago. They did a pretty crappy job, and i'm looking to get replated again. Grinder marks on the corners, and thin spots on edges too. Try to see someone elses bumper and send it out from the same location if you like the work.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The ones on my Fury looked good. They were done by the previous owner through Keystone, and when I got it the rear was peeling. They did redo it though.

The big thing I noticed was the "color" of the chrome was much nicer and more like the original chrome on the bumpers I did through the Bumper Boyz

Old 01-27-2009, 12:15 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yes, its the aftermarket panel place. I believe keystone bought a plating business over the border in Pa. and thats where they send them all out of cleveland. I will do some more checking tomorrow. I've had probably at least a dozen bumpers done by them in the last 3 years and everyone was perfect. However, i sent them my taillight bezels for my 69 judge and they f'd 1 of them up 3 times. Dont send them your pot metal. Speaking of that, anyone know where to send potmetal to here in ohio? I sent a pair of 64 catalina tailight bezels to paul's plating in Pa., heard they were the best, quoted $1000.00 to plate and repaint the argent silver towards the lens or $800.00 without the paint, i said i could paint the silver for $200.00. Had to pay in full up front. Got them back in 10 weeks, chrome is absolutly flawless, except the painted area, they didn't even fill the pits where the paint goes and failed to tell me they weren't going to fill those areas, just said no paint. That will be the last job they ever get from me.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by notime View Post
Yes, its the aftermarket panel place. I believe keystone bought a plating business over the border in Pa. and thats where they send them all out of cleveland. I will do some more checking tomorrow. I've had probably at least a dozen bumpers done by them in the last 3 years and everyone was perfect. However, i sent them my taillight bezels for my 69 judge and they f'd 1 of them up 3 times. Dont send them your pot metal. Speaking of that, anyone know where to send potmetal to here in ohio? I sent a pair of 64 catalina tailight bezels to paul's plating in Pa., heard they were the best, quoted $1000.00 to plate and repaint the argent silver towards the lens or $800.00 without the paint, i said i could paint the silver for $200.00. Had to pay in full up front. Got them back in 10 weeks, chrome is absolutly flawless, except the painted area, they didn't even fill the pits where the paint goes and failed to tell me they weren't going to fill those areas, just said no paint. That will be the last job they ever get from me.
That's goofy. They outright tried to screw you over because you didn't want to pay extra for paintng.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:47 AM

Pauls chrome in PA. did my grilles, and taillight bezels for my 65 gto. They were very nice, but you pay extra for repainting and filling non chromed areas.I had them paint, after rechrome, my taillight trim, and trunk panel which was flawless. I painted my grilles after rechrome myself, and saved a couple of bucks. They are the best at potmetal, but $1.500 per bumper

Old 01-28-2009, 03:56 PM
Senior Chief

Sent mine off to Keystone. They were shipped from S.C. to the Wisc. plant. Triple plated and life time warranty. $ 1,125.00 total. Very Very nice.
mike

Old 01-28-2009, 05:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Check CustomChrome in Grafton. He did my headlight bezel for me years ago. Their work is just as good as Pauls, and may be slightly cheaper, but not much. Charged me $200 to do that bezel 10 yrs ago.