The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 03-12-2009, 09:33 PM

Default Sand Blaster

Hello, Would be interested to know if anyone has had any experience "Good or Bad" with the Portable Media or Soda Blasters? Are they worth the money? I have dozens of small parts to do, but not sure if it could handle something like a Rear Diff. housing or my Subframe. Any input is greatly appreciated ! Thanks

Old 03-12-2009, 10:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a mid sized eastwood blaster. Its sold as a soda blaster but comes ready for sandblasting (you have to buy an additional kit to do soda blasting). The only issue I have with it is that the media release handle quit sealing after a few hours of use, making it hard to shut off.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:52 AM
Senior Chief

Over the past 20 years I have sandblasted both large and small parts. I have found that unless you have a large compressor, blasting large parts is very time consuming thankless ordeal. Also having outside space to blast is a definite requirement. Typically if you have a commercial blaster in your area that does 'good' work, I found it less expensive and quicker in the long run. Cleaning smaller parts is a different story. A cabinet blaster will pay for itself quickly. I derust the parts in a water, washing soda bath using a small DC electrical source and finish up with a quick brush blast in the cabinet using black sandblasing grit that I get at Menards. As most of the rust is taken off in the bath less time is spent beating the part up by blasting. The parts come out looking like new. If you have any questions you can send me a PM. I will be away for next 10 days but back last week of the month.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:36 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I built a sandblast booth just for my restoration and it was worth it. Bought a large Craftsman oil less air compressor. I think it was http://www.skatblast.com that had the drawings to build it out of plywood but it turned out awesome. It paid for itself within a year when I put it out on Craigslist and started doing small parts in the area. It even has a vacuum system built in to my shop vac.

If you do work on your own car then I would recommend it for anyone. I have used it for tools for neighbors and even a neighbors son bike frame and got a month of mowing free.

The Black Diamond cutting abbrasive works fast.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Olde-Goat. Can you elaborate on the pre-blast prep you do as far as what parts it entails etc.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:55 PM

Thanks for the input. Have a local Sand Blaster that I've talked to, but was wondering if doing it myself would be cheapest way in the long run. May have to look into a small cabinet and let the Big Dogs handle my Subframe ect. Thanks again for the advice! TIM.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sandblasting outside with a portable blaster is a pain in the butt. I'd rather do just about anything than that. What a mess it makes....your work area will look like the beach...and that's not to mention all the hassles with clogs and running even a relatively large capacity compressor near to death.. You'll need an almost flawless moisture prevention system in your setup to prevent the clogs. After all that, you'll be amazed how far away from your work area you'll find sand.
A blasting cabinet is nice by comparison but doesn't do you any good for something like a frame.
Never tried soda blasting.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimsTA View Post
Hello, Would be interested to know if anyone has had any experience "Good or Bad" with the Portable Media or Soda Blasters? Are they worth the money? I have dozens of small parts to do, but not sure if it could handle something like a Rear Diff. housing or my Subframe. Any input is greatly appreciated ! Thanks
Tim, I have been using a sand blast system for many years with a home made blast cabinet (old refrigerator) & a 220 volt two stage 80 gallon compressor. Sand blasting uses a lot of air especially when the ceramic tip wears out. Years ago I blasted a full differential in the cabinet by letting one end hang out & enclosing around the axle housing, but I wouldn't recommend this. I now use it just for smaller parts. I took my sub frame to a powder coat place for about $325 & have been very happy with the results.
I just ordered a 15 Lb. soda blaster from Harbor Freight last week. It was on their website for $99.00. This is the complete blaster not the "sand to soda" conversion kit that some suppliers sell. H. F. has a 10Lb & 15 Lb blaster for the same price, online, & the local H. F. store had the smaller blaster and two different grades of soda. I'm anxious to try this out on doors, fenders, hood, trunk etc. But I think I'll take the body to a professional place for stripping.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to performerrpm

if you buy one get one that is a pressure pot, not a siphon fed. you will be alot happier

Old 03-19-2009, 12:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default FOUND IT FOUND IT FOUND IT - BLASTER BOOTH PLANS

http://www.tptools.com/Product.aspx?display_id=337

Only $9.95 and uses plywood. WORKS AWESOME
Built mine almost 15 years ago and it is very strong. Remember it is very heavy to.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

bought a cheap one from a discount place in town maybe a $100 works great on the small stuff. only issue I have is I can't find new "protectors" for the view is plastic so it scratches easy...

Old 03-19-2009, 02:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I use safety glass and it works very well.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiac_banshee View Post
I use safety glass and it works very well.
Where can you get it??? I will just replace it., The old plastic stuff is so bad I can't see through it.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Go to a local hardware store with your dimensions and have them cut the glass for you.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 03-19-2009, 06:17 PM

I built a cabinet using the dimensions of the eastwood cabinet out of OSB. I used an old cooking grate from an LP grill on the bottom covering a hole cut that had a rubbermaid tub set into to hole. It was light, but not very sturdy and last the 3 years I spent blasting on my driveway. For large parts/frame I covered my driveway with one of those 12x16 woven plastic sheets. Pull the corners to put all the media (starblast) back to the center and shopvac'd it up and reused. My good ol' sears 33 gal compressor ran constantly but could keep up with a 1/8th nozzle on a pressure blaster. It cost me $22 for a replacement cylinder piston ring kit after the 3 years use and it was like new again.

1967 Firebird 326 H.O. Conv., M3 floor shift, 3.36:1, Montreaux Blue/Parchment, Dual factory traction bars
2005 IBM GTO M6 - One of 347
1984 Yamaha FJ1100
Old 03-19-2009, 08:28 PM

Thanks again for all the additional input & ideas on this subject. Tim

Old 03-29-2009, 12:00 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Plywood Blaster

Here is the finished blaster I mentioned before.
It has the side door and a door on the bottom to take old sand out. THere is an opening on the left side for the shop vac hose and inside is a protected vent to let clean air in. Look at a post earlier in the thread as I show the link for where you can order the plans.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	booth1.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	163468   Click image for larger version

Name:	booth2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	163469   Click image for larger version

Name:	booth4.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	163470   Click image for larger version

Name:	booth5.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	163471   Click image for larger version

Name:	ebay- 064.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	163472  

Old 03-29-2009, 10:56 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Banshee -
Looks good. Seems one could make it about any size wanted.
cm

Old 03-29-2009, 12:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had been thinking of building a bigger box where the arm holes could slide back and forth to get larger objects in. A bit heavy but once it is bolted to the wall and with the front legs it is very stable.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Nice work. What was the total cost? Sorry if I missed cost earlyer in post.

I did my entire frame with a home made unit yup pain in the a$$. But evan taking a month of part time work to finish I saved $350 in blasting cost. Blasting, priming and paint only cost me $300. Thats with buying two engine stands for rotissorie.

69 400 Block, .030 over, KRE eagle stroker kt, KRE,CNC ported e-heads 310 cfm, port match RPM , comp roller 236/245@.05 586/600 lift 110 LS. 1.5 HS roller rockers, 350 Transmission, Red Neck tight 3500 stall converter, Ford 9” with 3.75’s, Strange center section, Moser 31spline axels, 29”Mt slicks, HRPARTSNSTUff anti roll system, Doug’s Headers 3.5” collectors, 22”Dynomax mufflers w/ H-pipe, Cliffs Q-jet, Fuel cell with sumps, Mallory 140 fuel pump and filter. Denny’s 3.5” drive shaft.

Last edited by 70 Lemans; 04-02-2009 at 07:31 PM.