Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:00 AM

Default Best Collector Car Insurance????

Who has the best collector car insurance for a modified Lemans convertible? Haggerty? Grundy? Someone else?

I currently have my car insured thru State Farm, along with our 3 everyday cars. I have a stated value policy. I had it insured even while it sat in garage, just in case anything happened. It is almost ready to be back on the street and the value has increased significantly due to modifications to the engine, suspension, etc. The car is a 67 Lemans Convertible with a stroker 467, Hotchkiss springs, poly bushing kit, bigger bars, bigger wheels and tires and some other mods. Not a beautiful restoration or rare optioned GTO, just a fast enough, decent handling, fun cruiser.

I checked some online quotes which appear similar but I want to know if anyone has any feedback about the companies. Any hassles about driving the cars alot or where they are being driven? I will drive the car alot during warmer weather to car shows, cruises and to the drags a few times a year (once the tranny and rear are updated). I also will take the car on longer drives thru the country to state parks, like Ohio Pyle State Park, south of Pittsburgh, because my dogs love the top down and occasssional trips from Pittsburgh to Harrisburg, PA which is 200 miles.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:28 AM

I have had Grundy for over ten years. Haggerty is also good. Only stipulation is no drivers under 25, not driven everyday, stored in garage. (No coverage during competion events ie: drags races)
There are many good specialty companies out there just be sure it is "an agreed value" policy not stated value. (I know as I worked in auto claims for 30+ years for a major ins. co.). I also spent the last 10 yrs working in a body shop and we dealt with those companies on losses. Both were good

63 Gran Prix (sold)
65 GTO (bought new-sold-BIG mistake)
66 GTO (sold) tri-power 4 speed conv.
67 GTO (sold) 265hp 2bl post car w/his & hers shifter & hood tach.
71 Lemans sport (sold)
Collector Car Appraisals since 1985

Old 04-01-2009, 04:03 PM

Thanks for your input.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:21 PM

I also have used Grundy for my cars for years. They are very reasonable and easy to work with. My premiums are pretty low considering the valuation.
Like oldcardoc states. Not covered in competition but then what insurer would cover you in that situation.
I called them last year before going on the power tour to be sure I was covered given the car would sit out every night. No isssues and no additional coveraged required.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just got off the phone with Hagerty. One thing I like about them is they will cover a car while it is being restored. And you can raise the coverage as the value increases.
I don't know if Grundy does that.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:34 AM

Grundy does too. I have a number of customers doing cars right now and I do updates as the work progesses.

63 Gran Prix (sold)
65 GTO (bought new-sold-BIG mistake)
66 GTO (sold) tri-power 4 speed conv.
67 GTO (sold) 265hp 2bl post car w/his & hers shifter & hood tach.
71 Lemans sport (sold)
Collector Car Appraisals since 1985

Old 04-02-2009, 07:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been using Classic Ins out of Indianapolis. Full coverage including glass, no deductibles, can be driven up to 5000 miles/year, must be in locked storage. Covered while being restored. And they update the cars value every year, even if you don't. Cost me 250.00/year.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:28 PM

I went with Grundy too, but am thinking about changing because of their restriction about driving it to work, there has been a day or two where I felt like driving the TA to the office, I would not be covered if it got stolen at the office, or if I was involved in an accident and they could prove I was driving it to the office, other than that there are no mileage restrictions like other co's have.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am insured with Classic at the present time, but, I just called them and they do not cover a vehicle undergoing a restoration. When I took out coverage the car was driveable. Now it is not. So, I will probably switch to Hagerty.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcardoc View Post
Grundy does too. I have a number of customers doing cars right now and I do updates as the work progesses.
I Just called Grundy and they told me that the car has to be 80% complete for them to insure it.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:05 PM

Thanks for all the input guys. I am checking with both Grundy and Hagerty.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

What kind of plates do they require on the cars? I remember hearing if you had classic or maybe it was antique plates your usage was limited by restrictions agreed on by registering the vehicle in that manner.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just got insurance through Hagertys and there was no mention of tag requirements. I run a regular tag.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustedgoat View Post
What kind of plates do they require on the cars? I remember hearing if you had classic or maybe it was antique plates your usage was limited by restrictions agreed on by registering the vehicle in that manner.
I think those are state regulations, not insurance company regulations and vary from state to state. I.E., in some states if you run an antique or classic plate, you can only use the car for parades and going to shows, etc. Has nothing to do with insurance.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT