Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 07-21-2009, 04:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Towing with a car

Ok. have been looking for a truck to tow the race car around. I have a 16' open trailer with a car that weighs 3200lbs. I have been useing my f350 work truck but have to stop for insurance reasons. Dam trucks are expensive. Well anyway, came across a deal on 2 64bonnys. One convertable one hard top both 2 door. Both cars need work the vert more so. The price is very right. They have been sitting for 20 years. I was thinking of being diffrent and useing one of these to tow the race car around and selling the other. Any one tow there car with a car? Was thinking I could use a 455 I have laying around and beefing up the rear frame on the car. I would definatlly be diffrent towing a 67 GTO with a 64 Bonny convert.
What do you think of this idea? Or should I keep looking for a truck?
Is towing with a car diffrent than towing with a truck (handeling wise)?

Last edited by Mike S; 07-21-2009 at 04:52 PM. Reason: wrong year
Old 07-21-2009, 04:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Length of the Bonne is almost like a truck, thats good longer is better, limiting factor being when you get somewhere and you need to turn it if your driving and backing skills aren't good. Probably not an issue.

Buy the best weight distributing hitch you can get your hands on... B&W or Draw Tite. Spend the $$$ there you won't regret it. Doubtful you'll need to do anything to the frame it's stout enough as the right hitch will brace it even more. Upgrade the rear springs. If not already got em put brakes on your trailer on both axles, and put in a good brake control in the car for the trailer.

You do all that and do it right and you'll be just fine and never have to worry about whats in your rear view mirror. It'll tow another car just fine.

Dually trucks swallow alot more sway and make it almost invisible to the driver than single rear wheel trucks do just cause theres two extra wheels out there and that counts for a bunch. However single rear wheel is single rear wheel and truck or car when your talking about the size of a Bonnie it's gonna be about the same. Brakes is where you'll notice the biggest difference, which is why I said get em on the trailer.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Friends of mine who are always looking for something use a Chrysler, Olds or Caddy to pull their car trailers. No CGVW or scales to worry about as no restrictions towing with a car. Make regular trips thru the mid central and west US on regular basis looking for deals.

Just use a good hitch, receiver and sway bar. No re-enforcing needed. I used to tow a 19' wooded Thompson Lapstrat boat with an ancient 90 Evinrude behind a 64 Parissian 2 dr ht with a 283 pg and even pulled it out of the water with same. Only had a bumoer hitch on it.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:14 PM

I wish I had pictures as most people wouldnt belive this. In the 80's and into the early to mid 90's my brother towed his Nova(Pontiac powered) and then his Grand Prix with a '79 Firebird with a 400. Im not talking about once and a while I mean every week and sometimes twice a week. He raced the Firebird in footbrake and the racecar in electronics. I watched him outrun a guy with a F-150 on the interstate, the best part of it was the f-150 didnt have a trailer behind it. Oh the things we did when we were younger.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I remember as a kid going camping with my parents in our 69 Impala with a 350 I think, towing an 18' Fireball Camping Trailer. They had a load leveler and anti sway and we went everywhere.

One of my friends in SoCal used to use his 64 Grand Prix wagon with a 455 to tow his 64 4 door Grand Prix drag car on a heavy duty open tilt bed. He loved it and it looked way cool.

Steve Barcak uses a 61 wagon to tow his FED in an enclosed trailer.

You probably already know this but I would pull the axles and inpect them for wear and for sure replace the bearings. Cheap insurance.

Good Load distribution hitch, Anti sway, brake controller and brakes on the trailer and I believe you will be in business.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Get a 1971-1976 full size wagon with leaf springs.

I have several builders for sale; if you're interested send me a PM.

I have this one, stored indoors, near Hershey:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	!!!!!!!!!cat6.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	175576   Click image for larger version

Name:	!!!!!!!!!76cat0400.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	175577   Click image for larger version

Name:	!!!!!!!!!cat8.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	175578  

Last edited by Scott M; 07-21-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If whipping ocurs because of not enough tongue weight it is a little more exciting with a car. Unless said car has leaf springs. Then it would be the same. Cars can tow well set up right meaning good hitch heavier springs and large radiator. But Suberbans are cheap 96up less than 3000 dollers with miles and miles do not hurt them mine has 230,000 and would drive anywhere.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My dad towed his 65GTO for years with his 69 GrandPrix. He even built the GrandPrix to race in case the GTO broke. The GrandPrix would run mid 12.5s @ 106mph with the 389 in it. Everyone thought he was crazy but it was fun. He also got into a couple races on the street while towing with some Mustangs. I remember setting the passenger seat looking at the people in the other car, their looks were priceless.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If it starts whipping just hit the trailer brakes. When our 27' travel trailer got out of hand behind the 77 Bronco I would just apply the trailer brakes and the whole unit would straighten out. Going down hill can be scary no matter what you tow with

Old 07-21-2009, 07:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If you are going to use the 64 for a tow car, you should look into a front disc brake conversion at least. Getting the load rolling with the 455 isn't the problem, it's stopping that load in a hurry if needed. Like Scott M. said, get yourself a 71-76 wagon, they have leaf springs and BIG rear brakes along with discs up front. I happen to have a 3.42 limited slip in my Safari and a class 3 tow hitch. I will be adding air bags for a Suburban to assist leveling it out. Trailer brakes are a must and a distribution hitch also. Safety first.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to harry k Send a message via MSN to harry k Send a message via Yahoo to harry k
Thumbs up 73-77 A-Body "Colonade Years" Intermediate's

being one man operation at the races , my 76 GMC Sprint (El co's cussin) does the job for me ,it is heavier GVWR than earlier El camino's 68-72 and more road stable like Cadillac.
have a 8.5:1 low compression 355 with B&M 144 forced induction blower under the hood , 5-6 lbs boost tuned for 87 octane Arco flavour , TH350 11" traveller RV torque converter ,2.78 smog year gear ratio (poor man's overdrive combo)
15X7 IROC wheels w/P225 -75R15 LT tires, Monroe rear air shocks w/ HD springs and OEM rear sway bar added for tow handling .

www.HKMotorsportsDynoShop.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0276.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	175590  

Old 07-23-2009, 08:49 AM

I have towed with a 65 Catalina wagon, a 69 Grand Prix, a 70 LeMans wagon. And though all were doing pretty good.. Until I started towing with a truck... I started out with a 1975 Chevy 1500 and though... wow I should have done this years ago.. After a lot of tow miles with that 1975, I used a 1993 Chevy 3/4 ton 6.1 Diesel a little under powered but handled great, next I got a 1999 Chevy 1500 5.3 and said the same thing I should have up graded years ago.. Now I own my own auto transport business and have a 2001 GMC Dura Max dually and I tow 15,000 lbs with it everyday, when I hook up my 22' enclosed trailer with my Biuck Grand National in it and its like its not even back there... And it gets 14 MPG pulling it.. I don't know if any of you know Montagle on interstate 24 in TN. it is a 6% grade for about 5 miles and this truck will put it with the enclosed trailer in 5th gear (Alison 5 speed Automatic) at 60 mph.. I guess point of my story is ( in my opinion) Just get a truck and don't screw around...

1965 GTO tri power, 4 speed, post car. (SOLD)
1987 Grand National, Winner TSM GS Nationals Bowling Green 2006, 9.92 @ 136.88
1964 Buick Skylark-Daily Driver.-SOLD-
Last pass on V6 before it blew= 1.41 60' and 6.10 at 113.26 in the 1/8th... it was flying!!! Had to be heading for a 9.50ish pass...
Same Grand National but now with 455, 10.66@123.69
2002 Corvette 13.7 @ 104