Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Angry Legal/Traffic question ?? any Cops here ?

While leaving Beaver Springs Dragway this Monday morning I was pulled over by a Cop/State Trooper? Not sure which. He claimed he didn't see my State inspection sticker on my truck. It is right in the middle of my windshield which he claimed ne didn't see! Then he noticed my trailer inspection was expired. Which I knew and owned up to. He then proceeded to question EVERYTHING. Said he didn't see a tag light on trailer. WTF...it was daylight ?!! I turned on lights and showed him which he questioned if it worked despite the fact he could see the bulbs lit up. He even questioned if my trailer was too long and if truck was legal to pull load although he saw the rated weights on the registrations which both were 10K !!??? I was getting fed up with his "nit-picking" !!
My main question is does another state have the right to issue a ticket for another states law ??? I live in VA and was in PA. I admit I was neglect in getting trailer inspected but my own state doesn't harrass me on it. I think there is a PY member that is a PA lawman who posts on here . Would like his input on this before I pay ticket. The total fine is $109.50 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't understand some handwriitten items...EMS fee,MCare,& j.c./A.T.J. items ??? Fine is $25.00 & costs are $34.50. On back of ticket it says EMS= Emergency Medical Services Act. MCare= Medical Care Availability and Reduction of Error Fund. JCP/ATJ = Judicial Computer/Acess to Justice. What Justice ??? WTF do these have to do with traffic violations ??

Sorry for long rant but it doesn't seem correct after thinking about it. I plan to have trailer inspected but also want to consult a lawyer on this ...
Watch out if you go to Beaver Springs. I feel he is targeting racers towing trailers.

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 09-07-2009, 11:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like Liberals trying to get more money for programs that probably dont work, or run at 50% efficency, like the rest of the Government.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree Fbruce. I don't mind paying the fine for no valid inspection but that other "write-in" crap yanks my chain. I will call and inquire.
Does anyone know the PA cop who posts on here ?

ECM member.
MANDRA

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool Actually...

I drove a semi thru PA on a route to Delaware and yes...they have their own laws which are what you abide by on their highways. They are the worst. A bulb out...$50....a lense cracked....$50. On and on. I suppose it is worse now what with the economy and all I imagine they have amped up the revenue-generating. Anyway....we get hassled here as well...if it is any consolation. I got a "no brake light" ticket for my trailer. Incandescent bulbs six inches off the ground weren't working...never mind I had LEDs four feet up and LED third brake light six feet high operating on the truck and the trailer was a short flatbed unit AND I was on a backroad! Dicks can be pricks! Anywhere!!! Ron

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

PA can be a real problem with the cops. They are nit picky about everything. If you have a lens on your vehicle it better light.

Yes they tack on all kinds of extra funds on the ticket. Fine will always be cheaper than all the funds added to the ticket. How do you think PA makes its money. Minimum ticket in PA is $109 no matter how little the problem.

Kind of reminds me of Dukes of Hazzard with Sheriff Rosco. I can see PA police pulling a fake fire hydrant out of their trunk and placing it by your car just to right a ticket.

Good luck with the ticket, most likely you will be paying, PA cops show up at court. Once there your done.

A little cop story I have. My brother had a street rod about 10 years ago that had a neon light front license plate frame. During the a major street rod show a bunch of street rods were driving around town with the neon lights under the car but don't get tagged, my brother drives through town with his rod and gets ticketed for the neon license plate. Takes the ticket to local court to fight. Funny thing was the ticket was written up for something they could not find in the law book so you would think my brother would win. Wrong, the judge looked through the book to find a law to make the ticket stick and he lost.

How is that for being screwed by the man.

Again good luck,
Mark

1965 GTO: 467 (Built By Dan Willever), 400 Block, Eagle 4.25 Stroke, Eagle 6.8 Rods, BRC Pistons, Custom Grind Hydraulic Roller Cam, Edelbrock 72cc Heads Ported, HS Rockers, Doug's Headers, Edelbrock Victor 4150, QTF 850 Carb, TCI Flex plate, AutoGear M22 4 Speed, SPEC Clutch and Pressure Plate, 12 Bolt 3:73 Posi.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You were not stopped by a Cop or State Trooper. You were stopped by a Tax Collector pure and simple.

Yes, you have to abide by local laws, so on that count you have no argument.

Which raises a question in my mind, what interest would he have in your display of a State Inspection sticker if your vehicle is registered in VA? Unless perhaps you need to have a PA Inspection sticker for your class of truck or in order to tow a trailer?

Those other fees were passed to fund Gov't crap that they can't or won't fund from General Revenue taxes. So they consider them "fees" and figure scofflaws can ante up for heinous crimes such as you were found guilty of.

I'm reminded of what the sheriff deputy who lives in my neighborhood said to me once. In effect, "There are hundreds of traffic laws, I can find a reason to stop anybody, anytime." This from a guy who the only time he drives within the neighborhood 25 mph speed limit is when he has to follow me (which he does while riding my bumper). Nice enough guy, I just don't respect his attitude or his driving behavior.

IMO, LEOs are getting to be on precariously thin ice in terms of the total lack of respect they will command from law abiding citizens when they lose sight of their "serve & protect" role and become regarded as tax collectors carrying a gun.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just some color.. PA still does not have Fiscal 2010 budget approved, and we're two months it....And counting.

Yes they can stop you for inspection sticker violations... We have ours in the left lower corner of the windshield. Hence him not seeing yours and establishing a legitimate probable cause. Fight it, you lose.

All the extras are added on the the perhaps $40 violation. These are state and local fees, justified because they have a police force enforcing the laws....EMS pays for ...no local ambulance services like one would think, but some other BS, was explained to me but I forgot the explanation...Baffled by bull I guess. MCARE is our legal fund that we pay into for settlements for highway accidents, med malpractice insurance, and a few other things, essentially a slush fund for guaranteed payent for legal settlements....

Of your ticket some goes to state, some goes local, regardless if who, local or state police, making the collar. So they should both thank you for your support.

Thank you for shopping at PA Mart. Most of your money will be wasted, don't expect even one of our many potholes to be filled.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Vrabec View Post
Just some color.. PA still does not have Fiscal 2010 budget approved, and we're two months it....And counting.

Yes they can stop you for inspection sticker violations... We have ours in the left lower corner of the windshield. Hence him not seeing yours and establishing a legitimate probable cause. Fight it, you lose.

All the extras are added on the the perhaps $40 violation. These are state and local fees, justified because they have a police force enforcing the laws....EMS pays for ...no local ambulance services like one would think, but some other BS, was explained to me but I forgot the explanation...Baffled by bull I guess. MCARE is our legal fund that we pay into for settlements for highway accidents, med malpractice insurance, and a few other things, essentially a slush fund for guaranteed payent for legal settlements....

Of your ticket some goes to state, some goes local, regardless if who, local or state police, making the collar. So they should both thank you for your support.

Thank you for shopping at PA Mart. Most of your money will be wasted, don't expect even one of our many potholes to be filled.
Ahhhh...the plot thickens. He pointed to the "Norwalk Linders Lot #" which was still on my windshield.Why was he looking there for a PA sticker when I was running VA plates ??!!! I think he was just using that as excuse to pull me over as there was no way he could have seen my expired trailer sticker and I wasn't speeding or driving eratic.. Matter of fact, he asked IF we/VA had to have an inspection sticker !!
It was the only thing he could think of to write for, BUT I am a VA resident. Can he enforce a VA staute in PA ??
Kieth.....do you have to get trailers such as mine inspected in PA. It's a 26' enclosed tag trailer ???
BTW: The fine for invalid sticker was $25.00 & cost were $34.50=$59.50..write ins make it $109.50 !!!
$50.00 for his add on write ins....what a shaft job !!

Still think he was Prick.....

ECM member.
MANDRA

Last edited by 60man; 09-08-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:13 PM

Troy, Dyingbreed is the PA bull that posts here. Email him directly as he's not on the boards much anymore.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 09-08-2009, 04:07 PM

Just a guess.....

What if you call the court and tell them you got your registration fixed and can fax or mail them proof.
In Texas these are called fix-it tickets and usually the fine drops significantly if you show them you got the problem fixed.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It was the beginning of the month, needed to get a jump on his quota. You are out of state and he knew it, easy pickings as less chance you will fight it.

I would pay the fine and call Beaver Springs and let them know what happened. They can't help with the ticket but they may be able to bitch to the cops about harassing their customers. Those areas of Pa are in no shape to lose business because of some aggressive cop. I doubt I would go there know that I know they are "looking" to ticket people.

Is it Spring Township Police Dept?

Last edited by Mo; 09-08-2009 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Any trailer over 3000 GVW requires inspection.

Like I said the add ons are the cost not the violation.

I am not sure if he would be able to enforce your VA inspection, try Googling PennDot to see if that is inthe code.

Fortunately no points are involved here. No way to fight for less than $110, send $5 a month for 22 months. As long as you're paying they can't add any more to the total.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mo- This cops badge # is #1 & is Spring Township with a Station address of Beaver Springs,PA. Reminded me of a Barney Phife...
I did send Bob McCardle/Beaver Bob a email about incident and got acknoledgement of reciept but no reply yet,that was yesterday. I don't mind owning to my mistakes but this guy had NO reason to pull me over in the first place. Strickly a set up in my book.

Kieth I'll google PennDot and see what goes. I have the section & sub section of staute on ticket.

ECM member.
MANDRA

Old 09-09-2009, 09:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Checked out PenDOT.. Not sure this applies but I don't see why not. Any lawyers here ?
It's from Sec.4703 A. Line (13) (c)

(c) Inspection of vehicles reentering this Commonwealth.--Vehicles subject to registration and inspection in this Commonwealth which have been outside this Commonwealth continuously for 30 days or more and which, at the time of reentering this Commonwealth, do not bear a currently valid certificate of inspection shall not be required to be inspected until ten days after reentering this Commonwealth.
(d) Newly-purchased vehicles.--Newly-purchased vehicles may be driven without a current inspection certificate for ten days after sale or resale or entry into this Commonwealth, whichever occurs later.

Why wouldn't the ten day rule apply ??

ECM member.
MANDRA

Old 09-09-2009, 10:25 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Your vehicle isn't subject to registration in Pa. I don't see how they could give you an inspection ticket for a Va inspection sticker? Seems like the officer has overstepped his jurisdiction IMO. When we get HOV tickets in our work vehicles I call and talk to the sergeant on duty and he usually takes care of the ticket. Maybe you could call the police department up there and ask to speak to an officer in charge? Just tell him you have some questions and be VERY nice and polite to him. He can at least answer your questions.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Scites View Post
Your vehicle isn't subject to registration in Pa. I don't see how they could give you an inspection ticket for a Va inspection sticker? Seems like the officer has overstepped his jurisdiction IMO. When we get HOV tickets in our work vehicles I call and talk to the sergeant on duty and he usually takes care of the ticket. Maybe you could call the police department up there and ask to speak to an officer in charge? Just tell him you have some questions and be VERY nice and polite to him. He can at least answer your questions.
That was my thoughts at the get go Jim. I will call before paying ...just want some "advise"...experiences..

ECM member.
MANDRA

Old 09-09-2009, 01:37 PM

Welcome to PA. They indeed (cops) LOVE to see out of state plates. They know your not going to come all the way back here to fight it. You are not considered a person, you are considered a piggy bank.

THe Sunday before Labor day, I saw more staties in 75 miles of I-80 than I have in the last 15 years COMBINED. Gotta fill the coffers while the budget isn't passed (last state in the union to not have one by now).

I'm surprised he didn't ask to see the car inside of your trailer so he could pinch you for that one too.

2008 Tundra Double Cab 4x4 TRD (5.7 381 hp)
1978 Trans Am w/69 428 (343hp/452 FPT)
1999 Black T/A, M6 (allegedly stock 325hp)
Old 09-09-2009, 02:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rat basterds.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 09-09-2009, 03:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Called the number on citation. A young lady took the call. She said unfortunatly I could not get out of paying the "add on" fines. Didn't sound like she thought it was fair either. I have to call back tomorrow and talk to a Judge Willis Savage. She said he was a nice guy ....we shall see as explained to her what I thought of Officer Smith and his methods and that I thought he had oversteped his authority...the Judge will decide.
I may very well go back to PA as I don't want other racers to have to put up with this crap...if I'm right.

ECM member.
MANDRA

Old 09-09-2009, 05:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm still hung up on why he did'nt tip his hat and say "good day" to you after he saw the sticker. And the fact you had out of state plates it should not have been a issue in the first place. I guess i'm not up on law but these measures the LEO's are starting to take are a little on the invasion side.

Check out my sons blog, www.driftundertheradar.com