THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Barry Grant files bankrupcty

http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/Pe...ts/blogs/13780

Old 10-16-2009, 12:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not sorry to hear this. Couldn't have happened to a worse company! You can't keep screwing your customers and stay in business. I guess their customer service and "fine craftsmanship" finally did them in.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Goathead

I have been through at least 5 of their fuel regulators and 4 of their fuel pumps....I guess I never learn (actually, they always replaced them, for a minimum charge )....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJrDl3nRNCM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvywdocl4GA

http://ultimategto.com/icongraf/65headtitle.jpg
Old 10-16-2009, 09:42 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiac462 View Post
Not sorry to hear this. Couldn't have happened to a worse company! You can't keep screwing your customers and stay in business. I guess their customer service and "fine craftsmanship" finally did them in.
Had nothing to do with it at all and our business is not down nearly as much as Holley posted that they are in their press release regarding their 2nd bankruptcy. If one is to follow that logic then I guess that is why the airlines filed as well as Chrysler,GM and many other companies.

We had some old debt we hadn't made any headway on and a short term line of credit pulled but we have been profitable at the reduced rate of bisiness.

Technical Support

Barry Grant, Inc.

BG Fuel System, Demon Carburetors, Nitrous Works, Rush Filters

www.barrygrant.com
Old 10-16-2009, 02:11 PM
Boost Engineer

So did Barry Grant eat all of the losses or were they passed on to the suppliers by Barry Grant?

GM & Chrysler, basically with their MASSIVE DEBTS, screwed over:

1) The Stockholders

2) The Bond Holders

3) The Suppliers

4) And potentially The Taxpayers. (Chrysler has already stated that they will not pay back all of the money borrowed from the Taxpayers)

My comments:

BG was an innovative company with products like:

a) The BG "Six Shooter" for the Pontiac, Mopar, and the SB Chevy.

b) The "BadMan" In Line 4 BBL Carburetor

c) The Vacuum Operated King Demon

d) The "Replacable Venturi" 4 Barrel carbs.

e) I think that they were also the first to make a HIGH PERFORMANCE
electric Fuel Pump that was substantially better than the old Holley Blue Pump.

You don't come up with updated versions of ideas like that without Engineering Employees that have a love of "The Carburetor".

That being said, the warranty issues, the trash in the components, the durability of the parts, the machining of the parts etc was woefully lacking.

I bought a Six Shooter Intake manifold at one time, it had some machining issues. Tech @ BG made it right. Goathead apparently was "treated ok" on his fuel pumps/ regulators (minus the minimum charges). many others might have similar stories.

So what was this "Old Debt" that made it convenient for you to "get away from" by filing bankruptcy?

Sounds like a repeat of the GM/ Chrysler "get someone else to bail us out so we can start a new company" mindset vs figuring out how to pay off the debt. JMO

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:18 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
So did Barry Grant eat all of the losses or were they passed on to the suppliers by Barry Grant?

1) The Stockholders

2) The Bond Holders

3) The Suppliers

4) And potentially The Taxpayers. (Chrysler has already stated that they will not pay back all of the money borrowed from the Taxpayers)

My comments:

You don't come up with updated versions of ideas like that without Engineering Employees that have a love of "The Carburetor".

That being said, the warranty issues, the trash in the components, the durability of the parts, the machining of the parts etc was woefully lacking.

I bought a Six Shooter Intake manifold at one time, it had some machining issues. Tech @ BG made it right. Goathead apparently was "treated ok" on his fuel pumps/ regulators (minus the minimum charges). many others might have similar stories.

So what was this "Old Debt" that made it convenient for you to "get away from" by filing bankruptcy?

Sounds like a repeat of the GM/ Chrysler "get someone else to bail us out so we can start a new company" mindset vs figuring out how to pay off the debt. JMO

Tom Vaught
Tom , having never been through this personally before I am not sure on how all this works nor the logistics but since it was just filed this week I think the next step is where they sit down and figure all of this out. I do know we have been working with some of our larger vendors prior and they will continue to supply us with parts but like I said I haven't been down this road nor have all of the details. This current economy has affected many including our own competitors and I strongly feel there will be more to come.

Technical Support

Barry Grant, Inc.

www.barrygrant.com
Old 10-16-2009, 03:18 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:

1) The Stockholders

2) The Bond Holders

3) The Suppliers

My comments:

Tom Vaught
So Tom... As I understand it you were once an engineer for Holley? What is your opinion then on them filing not once but twice now?

Technical Support

Barry Grant, Inc.

www.barrygrant.com
Old 10-16-2009, 04:13 PM
Boost Engineer

Once I left, they lost all of their H.P. knowledge. JK LOL!!! (:>)

Actually the writing was on the wall when Borg Warner bought the OEM side and the Hot Rod side moved to the South. Then there were the 3 Employees in Management who bought the HP side of the business...and had big EGOs. Then there were the Golden Parachutes for the Hooker guys, Joe Lunati, Mike Thermos @ NOS, Earl's, Weiand, Flowtech, etc. Then there were the BG vs Holley lawsuits.

Lots of places to cast the blame.

They had 30 years to fix all of my mistakes in the Holley Engineering Center, I have been gone that long. The Holley OEM Guys kept their retirement status at BW and have made a lot of money on BW stock over the years. Like I said, MANAGEMENT and Golden Parachutes killed HP Holley. (Same as GM and Chrysler).

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:26 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Once I left, they lost all of their H.P. knowledge. JK LOL!!! (:>)

Actually the writing was on the wall when Borg Warner bought the OEM side and the Hot Rod side moved to the South. Then there were the 3 Employees in Management who bought the HP side of the business...and had big EGOs. Then there were the Golden Parachutes for the Hooker guys, Joe Lunati, Mike Thermos @ NOS, Earl's, Weiand, Flowtech, etc. Then there were the BG vs Holley lawsuits.

Lots of places to cast the blame.

They had 30 years to fix all of my mistakes in the Holley Engineering Center, I have been gone that long. The Holley OEM Guys kept their retirement status at BW and have made a lot of money on BW stock over the years. Like I said, MANAGEMENT and Golden Parachutes killed HP Holley. (Same as GM and Chrysler).

Tom Vaught
Wow... I hadn't realized it had been that long. I was reading a document awhile back and it had mentioned you as an engineer there and I knew you had gone on to Ford but can't recall now anything other then that on it, just recognized the name. thanks for the reply.

Technical Support

Barry Grant, Inc.

www.barrygrant.com
Old 10-16-2009, 07:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

....guess the "CHANGE" isn't working out to well for BG!!

Due to the current economic conditions...the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Meet you at the finish line.....don't be late!
Old 10-16-2009, 07:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
....guess the "CHANGE" isn't working out to well for BG!!
Change hasent worked for anyone. Well, maybe for those 31,700 folks at Goldman Sachs.

Check out my sons blog, www.driftundertheradar.com

Old 10-16-2009, 07:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would hate to be running a company that deals in leisure products right now.

I would think hobbyists is the bulk of this industry, and personal cutbacks tend to start in the garage.

Heres to a full recovery, hate to see any US Company fail.
Jeff

Old 10-16-2009, 08:00 PM

Quality control, (demon carbs), may have played a part in BG's demise.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:15 PM
Suspended

Location: The Palomino Ranch in Tucson-where the real horsepower lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70rag428 View Post
Quality control, (demon carbs), may have played a part in BG's demise.
Translation:Crap product-not the economy.Same for Holley.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHarper View Post
I would hate to be running a company that deals in leisure products right now. Jeff
That's what I thought last fall, more like oh . But we have never been busier. Being at the budget end of the spectrum helps - wonder how the big boys are doing?

Old 10-16-2009, 11:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to YVEYANT

It was explained to me both by Jegs and Summit techs when I was in the market:
"If you buy a BG carb, make sure you keep a screw driver handy for the constant adjustments needed". When I asked around here, I was told the same thing, seems to be public knowledge. Not to mention that incident about them not backing up a PY member for that faulty 6-shooter. I would never buy anything from them.

Ant
1967 Pontiac Tempest, GTO-Inspired

"What's so special about having Italian food cooked by a bunch of friggin Mexicans"
Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

"Your heart is free, have the courage to follow it"
Braveheart

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...Wm0SlqN030.jpg
Old 10-17-2009, 08:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Word of mouth is a powerful tool! Go to any track and ask about their fuel pumps....their regulators......pretty much anything they make. Most racers have switched to other brands that are dependable. People are still buying fuel pumps, carbs, regulators and filters. They just aren't buying Barry Grant. I just bought two new fuel systems for mine and not one BG component.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Word of mouth is indeed a powerful force. Both positive and negative. However, human nature generally works like this. Most people cant seem to clearly re-call good news. But few people can ever forget bad news, and most of them like to relate those experiences to others. In some cases....ad nauseam.

My single experience with BG products was, at best, not a positive one. So I used that experience as a learning event, and it was both my first and last dealings with them.

For the last 4-5 years, I havent used, or recommended, any other pump than a Magnafuel. They are clearly in a class by themselves. Quality and customer service second to none. Actually, on their customer service, I cant give any first hand experience. Because I have NEVER had a problem with any of their products.
And let me add this. When I worked with them to setup the fuel system for my current project, when it came time to spec the regulator, they recommended a competitors part. They have something on the drawing board, but availability was uncertain. Bottom line was, they were honest with me to the point of sending part of the business away.

That my friends, is how to run a business.