Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 11-21-2009, 03:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default straight through vs spintech

Spintech claims that their mufflers flow well. Their new site has a bunch of new mufflers and info but no good pictures of the inside of their mufflers. I searched here and not much info came up

I know the Hand's did a muffler test for flow on all mufflers and compared them but i cannot find that data anywhere anymore.

Anyways does anyone use spintech stuff? how does it flow and how does it sound? have you lost or gained et from switching to them or from them?

Old 11-21-2009, 04:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Comparing muffler versus open pipe flow
Spin tech 3334 72%
Spin tech 3444 49%

Ultraflo 17513 99%
Goerlich X110 99% These are straight through mufflers.

Anything in a muffler that impedes the flow >baffles,dividers,reflectors,hocus pocus devices will kill some power if total flow is needed.

Old 11-21-2009, 04:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta man View Post
Comparing muffler versus open pipe flow
Spin tech 3334 72%
Spin tech 3444 49%

Ultraflo 17513 99%
Goerlich X110 99% These are straight through mufflers.

Anything in a muffler that impedes the flow >baffles,dividers,reflectors,hocus pocus devices will kill some power if total flow is needed.
How much of a difference will flow actually make on a street/strip car?
are we talkings 10ths here? or more? or less?

Old 11-21-2009, 05:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How much horsepower does your engine make and what size is your exhaust?On a lower horsepower engine a restrictive muffler may not be noticed much if at all.On a higher horsepower engine that needs to breathe you definately can lose tenths if not more.I improved years ago 3 tenths by switching to better flowing mufflers and tailpipes yet the head pipes remained the same.I am currently running almost 115mph through 2 1/2 inch mufflers.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta man View Post
How much horsepower does your engine make and what size is your exhaust?On a lower horsepower engine a restrictive muffler may not be noticed much if at all.On a higher horsepower engine that needs to breathe you definately can lose tenths if not more.I improved years ago 3 tenths by switching to better flowing mufflers and tailpipes yet the head pipes remained the same.I am currently running almost 115mph through 2 1/2 inch mufflers.
ok that is exactly what I was thinking.

I don't have a motor yet

Old 11-21-2009, 07:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Talk to Paul at RARE about Spintechs.....He sells them, but they are rather loud.....

Old 11-22-2009, 09:57 PM
Senior Chief

I am using Spin Tech 3334xlf mufflers, I cant comment on there flow or performance when compared to other mufflers as I have not run anything else to compare them to.

BUT...I can comment on the sound levels, they sound very good at idle and when under throttle, but in my car there is a TERRIBLE resonance or drone just below full highway cruise speed or when a load is applied in lower gears, like driving up a hill.

Now for a race car this would not be an issue, but for a street car it is rather disappointing. I have installed Hedman chrome tips with glasspacks in them and it completely eliminated the resonance, almost sounds to quiet now. also seems to have lowered the idle RPM a tad, so it must be quite an added restriction.

I purchased them because of there low profile. I wouldnt use them again for a street driven car....BUT all vehicles are different and it could be something with my combination. I did call RARE and they were surprised and said it should not be happening with these mufflers. Unfortunatley I have the dreaded drone.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

damn that stinks

they advertise that their mufflers don't drone.
I think every high performance muffler will have a little bit of drone to them (except maybe those super expensive corsas).

Old 11-26-2009, 09:16 AM

TA Man,

I see you have the flow rating of 99% for the Georlich and the Ultraflows versus open pipes. Does anyone know how the Pypes Raceflo's rate? Are they comperable to the Ultraflows? Does Pypes have any ratings other than cfm for comparison against open pipes?

Hot Rods & Horsepower.......A diease for which there is no cure.

71 GTO, 463, SD 295 d-port heads, 10.75:1, RPM intake, 502hp/560tq @ the crank, 200r4, 10" Continental convertor, Bullet 234/244 cam, Cliff's Q-Jet, 3:42's w/Eaton True Trac, 5 Power Tours. New performance numbers coming
Old 11-27-2009, 09:52 AM
Exhaust Guru

71, if they are straight through, the mufflers will be very similar.The only variation we ever saw in straight though ones was if they had perforations where the internal bends were. Like Magnaflow for instance. Theirs had a slightly less air flow potential on offset-offset versions than others but in no way will that really hurt too much, if any.

The differences that did hurt were the mufflers with plates in the flow path, like most of the louder chambered-type ones. Those did show as a large air flow restriction and in most every test case, ET increased and speed reduced at the track with them, offset-offset ones anyway.

I know of no one that ever replaced these types of mufflers with straight through ones that did not go quicker and faster and have less noise. But, it is a personal preference and many will tolerate a higher sound level for a different sound quality.

One final note, in the Engine Masters Challenge, all winners always use straight through mufflers. There is a performance reason for that...

Tom

Old 11-27-2009, 02:15 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hand View Post
"One final note, in the Engine Masters Challenge, all winners always use straight through mufflers. There is a performance reason for that...Tom"
Hmmmm....and to think Dad has been using glass packs since his Flathead days in the 1950s. We have always used straight-through mufflers, mostly glass packs with perforated, Not louvered cores, even on our oval track cars, long before mufflers were required...Robert

Old 11-28-2009, 09:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I love the spintech sound. my car gains about .15 in the quarter open headers over the 3" xpipe and spintechs. but man does it sound good. I am probably under sized at this hp level. I am moving to 4" soon

1972 Maverick under slow construction
Old 11-29-2009, 01:05 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmissle View Post
I love the spintech sound. my car gains about .15 in the quarter open headers over the 3" xpipe and spintechs. but man does it sound good. I am probably under sized at this hp level. I am moving to 4" soon
That vid in your sig has got to be open headers...am I right?

Old 12-03-2009, 03:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have Spintechs on my GTO with 3" pipes with an X from 3.5" collectors.....With the Dumps open the car picks up .15 in the 1/4 and 1 MPH .....

Old 12-03-2009, 08:22 AM
Senior Chief

Pypes RacePro
Ultraflo 17513
Goerlich X110

Which is the quieter of the three? (walk soft, but carry big stick)

'68 hard blocked forged 463 (thanks Luhn Performance), SD prepped HO aluminum intake, SD Perf 290cfm KRE'S,'Ol Faithful cam, 2004r with a "Jim Hand special" converter to a 3.42 Trutrac 12 bolt hung from a 4 link. With a 120 shot of N2O for fun.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:56 PM
Exhaust Guru

The longest one .

Old 12-04-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchmen View Post
I am using Spin Tech 3334xlf mufflers, I cant comment on there flow or performance when compared to other mufflers as I have not run anything else to compare them to.

BUT...I can comment on the sound levels, they sound very good at idle and when under throttle, but in my car there is a TERRIBLE resonance or drone just below full highway cruise speed or when a load is applied in lower gears, like driving up a hill.

Now for a race car this would not be an issue, but for a street car it is rather disappointing. I have installed Hedman chrome tips with glasspacks in them and it completely eliminated the resonance, almost sounds to quiet now. also seems to have lowered the idle RPM a tad, so it must be quite an added restriction.

I purchased them because of there low profile. I wouldnt use them again for a street driven car....BUT all vehicles are different and it could be something with my combination. I did call RARE and they were surprised and said it should not be happening with these mufflers. Unfortunatley I have the dreaded drone.
I am running the same mufflers with the RARE 2 1/2 inch manifolds and 2 1/2 inch exhaust with an x-pipe and I have the same issues in my 69 Goat. For a street car, the resonance is AWEFUL!!! I would shy away from these mufflers despite the fact that RARE says that they have a great sound. At idle they sound perfect, under heavy throttle pretty decent, and at driving speeds they drone so loud that it is hard to hold a conversation or hear yourself think. I am looking forward to having time to add a bullet style muffler into the mix to help reduce some of the resonance or just throwing the new Spin Tech's in the dumpster. Good luck!

Last edited by Hudc; 12-04-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a 3 inch pypes X with 2 1/2 inch walker ultraflos.They have a nice raspy loud idle,flow well and sound great at full throttle and no drone or resonance down the highway at 2800 rpm.This may be because there is absolutley nothing inside the muffler to slow the exhaust down. They are also packed inside with insulation.They also have an extremely thick casing.Some of the other mufflers that have reflectors may just vibrate too much thus droning.