Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 12-04-2009, 06:06 PM

Default Big headers for first gen bird

Need some help with header size and fitment on a first gen bird. I plan on running a 505 in my 67 bird, but I am wondering if I can fit a 2-1/8" tube inside the factory frame with power steering. Any help would be appreciated. Thx.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have dougs 1 7/8" on my 69. They are about 1/16" away from the box. I highly doubt it. You may need to do some serious fabbing there.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:21 PM

I guess I should state what my plan is. I would like to make or find a set of 2" or better tri-y headers with a merge collector for my 67' Firebird. I would think that with enough interest maybe we could take some vendors into making some big tube headers that fit a first gen bird with IA2 blocks

Old 12-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have 2" primaries on my 69 Bird, 3.5" outlets. Fit like a glove, just needed a little flattening of the #2 tube because I run rubber mounts vs. solid, so the engine sits slightly lower. Mine were produced by Indian Adventures, and they're gone, so I'm not sure who took over the tooling.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNoun View Post
I have 2" primaries on my 69 Bird, 3.5" outlets. Fit like a glove, just needed a little flattening of the #2 tube because I run rubber mounts vs. solid, so the engine sits slightly lower. Mine were produced by Indian Adventures, and they're gone, so I'm not sure who took over the tooling.
Wow! You would not have a pic of that would you?

Old 12-09-2009, 11:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry, I never thought to take a pic of the headers themselves. No clearance issues around p/s box. They tuck up nicely, although with the 3.5" collector, ground clearance isn't the best, but I'm asking for it because my car sits at stock ride height! These have very thick flanges, and slip-on collectors, so installing them was a breeze.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have used the Hedman Hustlers for my round ports, 2 inch primary and 3.5 inch collector. The fit is good, slight dent at the steering box to clear. Ground clearance is a concern, they hang below the front crossmember.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:50 PM

I have looked at the Hedman's, but didn't like the fact that they wrap around the frame. What is upsetting is I can buy a set of 2-1/8" headers for a Chevy 572 that fits my frame off the shelf, but header manufacturers can understand why we need bigger headers? Beyond that what I am needing or I should say wanting is a set of big tube tri-y's. I am thinking 2" or 2-1/8" primary down to a merge collector and a transition tube to hook into the exhaust.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:19 AM

It would appear that I am going to either have a custom set made or make a set. Anybody know of any good references on building a set of tri-y's?