THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:24 PM
PY VIP

Default HURST HISTORY

Kirban 2 cents worth

This is a spinoff of my long running thread as I wanted to make it easier for readers so I am breaking down the several topics that appeared in one thread. This thread will deal strictly with Hurst and related Hurst stories complete with photos of early Hurst items from my private collection.

I am hoping Mr AMC can transplant my previous Hurst photos to here and will shoot him new stuff to post. As I have enough info to make one solid thread just on Hurst and Hurst related history/trivia.....stay tuned its a fun ride....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Old 12-16-2009, 03:34 PM

Kirban 2 cents worth

The first production version of the dual was offered in the early Grand Prixs and Oldsmobile Starfire. What you are viewing here is a hand done sketch of the basic layout of the magazine ad which is shown to the rite.

They had the two piece knob just like the very early manual shifters did from Hurst. Again referring to prior to the GTOs time frame. This is original art work you are viewing form my collection. Way before digital and computers.

Clever idea with the key to lock the manual shifter portion. As many of you know in 1967 the Hurst dual gate became an option on the new turbo 400 transmission. Same basic set up was offered in 1968 with the difference being in the actual mounting plate since the console for 1968 was different than the 1967.

Watch for more info in this thread. Much of what I will write is based on my memory so dates and information being dead on 100% accurate may not always be the case.

Big thanks to Mr AMC who posts all my photos.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

2005 GTO Quick Silver/Red
Fayetteville, NC
Do It Right or Don't Do It All
Old 12-16-2009, 03:36 PM

kirban 2 cents worth
For the Hurst Olds member this photo shows the actual prototype of the Hurts Olds emblem and below it is of course the one you would recognize.
You should be able to see the word Olds is not entirely in the oval circle.
I bought this years ago from a Hurst employee for $50.
George Hurst favorite car was the Oldsmobile even though his big money maker had to be the Pontiac line especially shifters since Oldsmobiles did not produce nearly as many manual shift examples.
That is why there was a Hurst Olds and not a Hurst Pontiac although they did dabble with the Grand Prix.
True story
denniskirban@yahoo.com

Fayetteville, NC
Old 12-16-2009, 03:39 PM

kirban 2 cents worth
Here is a shot of an original Hurst Dual Gate display with George Hurst and probably his first wife (actually Bill Campbell's secretary). Not sure of the time frame probably 1961-1962 since it shows the first design dual gate.
This was probably for some manufacturers event may even be SEMA or something along those lines.
denniskirban@yahoo.com

Fayetteville, NC
Old 12-16-2009, 03:40 PM

kirban 2 cents worth

Earlier we posted a photo of what appears to be a oversized display model of the very first style Hurst Dual Gate along with George Hurst and his wife at the time.

These two photos are really rare as I have the original blue print of the first style Hurst dual gate. The one shows a close up of the actual plate.

The blue print for being over 45 plus years old is in very good condition. I have had it a number of years. My Hurst collection centers around the raresst of rare items.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Fayetteville, NC
Old 12-16-2009, 03:42 PM

kirban 2 cents worth

Pictured here is the only flyer that I have in my possession concerning Hurst involvement with making these bumper guards. As Hurst started to incorporate the VW logo in their literature that is when VW threatened them with a lawsuit.

If you recall early VWs when they first hit the US shores had very little bumper protection. Hurst saw it as a item to make.

Once in awhile you can see one on ebay under the Hurst name. I personally don't have one. So that tells ya its rare!

Will advise winner to contact me via email later.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Fayetteville, NC
Old 12-16-2009, 03:49 PM

kirban 2 cents worth

One of the rarest Hurst related cars was the one that was done in conjunction with Lingenfelter out of Indiana. From what I understand only about 10 got produced making it a very rare example.

I got this sign directly from Lingenfelter years ago when I was there. They were a customer of ours.....they were buying our 6 speed shifters for the new C5 Corvettes at the time.

Interesting note that you probably are not aware of. Lingenfelter is located in farm country. They actually rebuild from equipment engines for some of the local farmers. If you think about it that is pretty darn unique to have your farm engine rebuilt by one of the top notch engine builders in the country.

They always would participate in those challenges in Hot Rod mostly Chevy powered see who could run the quickest and in the various events to test the durability of their cars.

Now Hurst is doing a limited number based on the Dodge Challengers......

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Comments always welcomed

Fayetteville, NC
Old 12-16-2009, 03:51 PM

kirban 2 cents worth

In my private collection I have 2 outstanding examples of original Hurst banners. As you can imagine being they are over 45 years old and cloth survival rate is not good. This one pictured I believe predates the later silk or shiny thread style that is more familiar to old time collectors. I say that because the type style looks primitive and it matches one of the original employee shirts that I have. The H is not slanted like the later ones are.

I have it framed in my office in our house. It measures probably 2 feet by 3 feet.

Also the only version I have seen that has tassles hanging from the bottom.

Again special thanks to Mr AMC for posting. I keep him busy at a non paying job!

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Fayetteville, NC
Old 12-16-2009, 03:53 PM

kirban 2 cents worth

Pictured here is the later style Hurst banner. This has the shinny gold thread format and the Hurst logo is angled. It is this version that was popular for many years during the mid and late 1960s. This one is not perfect as you can tell. Its an extra one that I have.

I would sell this if any reader has an interest. It does have several cracks that are holes in the actual H logo due to age and how it was stored. All the edging area is good.

Send me an email denniskirban@yahoo.com If you are interested. Its the only one I would part with. Approximate size is 20 inches tall by 30 inches wide.

Fayetteville, NC
Old 12-16-2009, 03:55 PM

kirban 2 cents worth

Not sure if I showed this yet or not. Among Hurst wheel owners this is a one of a kind, the original hand done artwork of the Hurst wheel. What may not be visible is the fact it is a layered picture still in the original frame from the early 1960s. This of course came from the Hurst building.
As you can imagine this is one of the crown jewels in my collection of Hurst related items.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Fayetteville, NC
Old 12-16-2009, 03:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is better than an amusement park ride Dennis, Thanks for the special treats....keep em coming.

Tim john---

Old 12-16-2009, 03:57 PM

kirban 2 cents worth

Pictured here are two extremely rare posters. The one advertises the very well known GO contest Hurst car. This poster measures 24 inches by 30 inches approximately and is original that I had framed years ago.

The other poster is probably the rarest one highlighting the Hurst wheels. It was probably used in speed shops. Sharp eyes will notice the spinner cap was never produced. This poster measures over 30 inches in length and I had it framed years ago also.

We will soon have more unique Hurst items posted.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Fayetteville, NC
Old 12-16-2009, 03:58 PM

kirban 2 cents worth

Check this out....probably a mid 1980s PR thing that Hurst did. Happened to think of this the other day when Tiger's troubles started to surface.

Notice the Hurst logo, it is the later version. Soon after this Hurst moved to Mr Gasket in Ohio and new ownership.

I have them also in a 4 pack sealed.

Never seen any of these anywhere for sale.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Fayetteville, NC
Old 12-16-2009, 03:59 PM

kirban 2 cents worth

In my personal collection I have the elusive 2 bar spinner that Hurst used in some of their promotions that never saw production to the best of my knowledge. They also would use a 3 bar spinner that was angled that again to my knowledge never saw production.

The one that Hurst did produce was the straight 3 bar spinner that is really a modified existing spinner from that time period. I believe it was the same or similar to what Ford used on a certain hubcap with a different backing plate. Problem is the bars are ribbed making it next to impossible to rechrome because they are diecast.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Fayetteville, NC
Old 12-16-2009, 04:01 PM

kirban 2 cents worth

For any Hurst wheel collector/owner the 1968-1969 Hurst catalog is by far the most collectible one they produced. I will have MR AMC post the cover that I have framed. It is an uncut cover meaning it has the back side attached and the tab at the bottom prior to getting folded over.

The rare thing about this is, it show 3 Hurst wheels on the cover. The polished spoke version which is what they marketed, a blue spoked one and a red spoked one. Neither version saw production to my knowledge and at that critical point the Hurst wheel was getting phased out.

I own the blue wheel that is was used on the cover shot. I also used to own the red wheel. Like a fool years ago I sold the red one can't member to who.

The polished one holds no special value as it looks identical to all the ones they sold. The blue one is like new. Something I bought years ago from the art director who sold it to me.

As to its current value? Who knows. Between the prototype spinner, original artwork of the Hurst wheel and this blue wheel I am sure they hold great value to a Hurst collector.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Fayetteville, NC
Old 12-16-2009, 04:37 PM
PY VIP

kirban 2 cents worth

Big Thanks to Mr AMC for relocating my Hurst related stories to this single new thread. Postings from here on out will be new ones.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Old 12-18-2009, 09:01 AM

kirban 2 cents worth

Here are a few shots of some of the Hurst knobs in my personal collection. While many of you probably do not realize in different T handles alone I have 20 different ones. Some of which I know are prototypes as I have never seen them in any of the Hurst catalogs.

Watch for more exact photos of certain ones to follow shortly.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Fayetteville, NC
Old 12-18-2009, 01:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dennis, Are the last shots of a Yo Yo depicting a HURST shift knob ? The ones behind this look like a Bowling ball with the four speed pattern. That would make a fantastic custom bowling ball today but this younger generation would have no connection as to its significance and not understand, they would want a "Fart" can muffler and the word nos...

Tim john---

Old 12-18-2009, 01:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dennis,

I recieved the M&M container from your Christmas contest yesterday and was pleasently suprised to see a copy of your Hurst book included. I must say that the book is outstanding. Filled with alot of neat stuff some of which I never knew existed.

This is going to be a great thread. The pics and info posted so far are great!

Thanks, John

Email jbr69gto@gmail.com

My Website www.minnesota-muscle.com

Old 12-18-2009, 02:01 PM
PY VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim john View Post
Dennis, Are the last shots of a Yo Yo depicting a HURST shift knob ? The ones behind this look like a Bowling ball with the four speed pattern. That would make a fantastic custom bowling ball today but this younger generation would have no connection as to its significance and not understand, they would want a "Fart" can muffler and the word nos...

Tim john---
kirban 2 cents worth

You are correct what appears to be 2 halves of a yoyo for lack of a better description is what the Hurst knob looked like prior to going to the round ballstyle that most would be familiar with today. Normally the 2 halves would be the same color unfortunately I only have half of 2 different colors. These would be 3 speed versions...In these cases the chrome stick came up in between the 2 yoyo halves....as for time frame I would think early 1960s vintage....very very hard to find today since that was over 40 plus years ago.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

On a side note I appreciate all the nice comments etc I have received....