Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-24-2009, 12:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question Nylon Timing Gear Teeth What Years?

When did Pontiac stop using the nylon tooth gears? Thanks -Jim

Old 12-24-2009, 12:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondJim View Post
When did Pontiac stop using the nylon tooth gears? Thanks -Jim
From various articles I've read on the subject.....it was mid-way through the 1971 model year....

Old 12-24-2009, 12:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Why should that matter at this point in time.
If you have a old motor that is still running you can check the condition of the chain by just pulling all the spark plugs and the distributor, than grab the balancer and move the crank back and forth some. You should see the distributor rotor follow right along if the chain is good. In fact if you spin the motor over thru one full rotation you can tell if the cam gear has a chipped nylon tooth by the rotor falling behind a good amout.
If I recall right, it was thru mid 66 that the nylon gear was used.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 12-24-2009, 01:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I could have sworn that my 79 Firebird, with a 301, had nylon timing gears.

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots!"
Old 12-24-2009, 01:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
Why should that matter at this point in time.
If you have a old motor that is still running you can check the condition of the chain by just pulling all the spark plugs and the distributor, than grab the balancer and move the crank back and forth some. You should see the distributor rotor follow right along if the chain is good. In fact if you spin the motor over thru one full rotation you can tell if the cam gear has a chipped nylon tooth by the rotor falling behind a good amout.
If I recall right, it was thru mid 66 that the nylon gear was used.
OK Steve. Just for you. Motor runs well. It is an original 1970 455. In 1969 I had a nylon gear strip at the end of the track. Have you ever had that happen? It ain't pretty at 6500 rpm. If this motor has the nylon teeth I will swap it out before it is installed. So you think 66 was the last year? -Jim

Old 12-24-2009, 02:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

no, it was later than that. I was riding in a '69 or '70 when the gear went on a trip from Yosemite to San Diego.

George

Old 12-24-2009, 02:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

67 Lamnas has it right.

1971 was the last year.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 12-24-2009, 03:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jim, I had a 70 with the nylon gear and a 73 without. So I tend to agree with the others re: 71.

Old 12-24-2009, 03:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks guys. I have almost lost my Christmas spirit with this motor! Broke off 2 exhaust bolts flush and now it looks like I need to swap the chain. It is kinda funny. It all goes so well in my imagination-LOl. Merry Christmas to all! -Jim

Old 12-25-2009, 12:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One of my high school buddies 350 68 Tempest lunched after he shut it off at his girlfriend's house. Came back out to leave and all kinds of popping and wouldn't restrart. Better than the 6500 deal!

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 12-25-2009, 12:23 PM

My 71 T-37 had one. Let go at 85,000 miles!

Old 12-25-2009, 01:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Fix View Post
One of my high school buddies 350 68 Tempest lunched after he shut it off at his girlfriend's house. Came back out to leave and all kinds of popping and wouldn't restrart. Better than the 6500 deal!
Skip, when mine let go not only was all the shredded nylon crap everywhere but I also had holes punched thru several pistons from valves. Carnage. Lesson learned, never again. My guess is the nylon teeth were an idea from a recent graduate engineer to keep down the noise from the chain. Other than the narrow bore spacing that was one of the worse ideas at Pontiac. -Jim

Old 12-25-2009, 01:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

All GM engines except for the L6 used this nylon gear POS. Even Ford used them. I had a 70 390 that failed when a piece of the gear wedged into the oil pump shearing the oil pump drive shaft causing the loss of oil pressure on the highway. Ruined the block.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 12-25-2009, 05:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The nylon gear in my 67 HO let go in early 1970 at 72,000 miles. The teeth remained in the pan until I pulled the engine in the mid 80's. I was lucky in that I was backing slowly out of my driveway when the engine just quit.

Old 12-25-2009, 07:51 PM

There's certain 'coincidences' that take place in life. I have a '72 Grand Ville convertible with the still original 455. The engine has 215,000 miles on it and has been my daily ride for nearly 8 years. 65,000 miles ago, I put a NOS timing set on it with (you guessed it) a nylon top gear. I was thinking that maybe I should change it, so 2 days ago, I bought a replacement set - OE style Cloyes (with steel gears), then I came across this post - I have a certain job to do on my car tomorrow.

Old 12-25-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post
All GM engines except for the L6 used this nylon gear POS. Even Ford used them. I had a 70 390 that failed when a piece of the gear wedged into the oil pump shearing the oil pump drive shaft causing the loss of oil pressure on the highway. Ruined the block.
Even the GM inline 6-bangers used a fiber cam gear, so they were not immune to similar failures although a timing chain isn't part of the picture. I have a book by Leo Santucci that details Chevy inline 6 engine building for performance, they specifically state not to use the fiber cam gears.

I had a complete '69 Grand Prix Model J given to me because the teeth were stripped off of the nylon cam sprocket at 97K miles. Bent all the pushrods and maybe a few of the valves, the pistons were all fine and the bore had little to no ridge so I reused them.

Old 12-25-2009, 08:22 PM
Boost Engineer

I changed a lot of the things and removed a lot of oil pans/ oil pumps at my uncles' Pontiac Dealership, years ago. It was amazing that some of them even had any oil pressure with the crap in the pick-up screen.

I remember when Bill Jenkin's used to swear by the things as dampening the harmonics in the valvetrain/ camshaft. Maybe Bill was being paid to ease the racer's minds that everything was ok with a new chain and Nylon toothed upper gear even with a big camshaft.

Tom Vaught

ps They would shell big time when a guy was using the clutch to slow the car down after a higher rate of speed, pretending to be a road racer. . The camshaft/valvetrain still had a lot of inertia and you suddenly slowed down the crank with the clutch, goodbye gear.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was teaching auto tech in Clovis N.M. in 1972 when a fellow teacher had his timing gear and chain replaced. His Pontiac was a 68 Catalina with about 58,000 on it. When I saw what his gear looked like I immediatly replaced the gear on my 67 Cat 325 hp 400. My gear and chain were pristeen. They looked like they just came from the factory. Funny how stuff works. I changed it any way. The local pontiac Guru told me to use a Tempest 4 cylinder gear and chain,which I did.

Old 12-26-2009, 06:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Back in the 1980's I helped a guy out in my spare time who swore by the Speed Pro wide link plate timing sets with the nylon top gear. He ran a small automotive repair business, and used them successfully in high Big Block Chevy engines. He had two cars that raced nearly every weekend out of his shop. One was a 67 Camaro powered by a 396, the other was on old Pro Stock chassis with a 454 in it. The Camaro ran high 11's, the Pro Stock car high 8's to low 9's depending on which engine was in it at the time.

In all the time that I knew him, they never once had any failures with those timing chains/gears. I remember he'd pull the engines and freshen them up on occassion, and we'd inpect the top gear and put it right back in service.

Even when I built engines for my own cars, I'd chicken out and use the wide link plate sets with the iron top sprockets. Never had the first trouble with one, and I'm using one in my current 455 engine. I like the design and strength of the link plate sets, even though they are somewhat of a PITA to degree the cam having to use offset cam/crank keys......Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 12-26-2009, 06:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well fellas I got lucky. Today I pulled the fuel pump and peered in thru the hole, she has steel teeth! This is a 1970 455/370HP/XF, the guy that sold the car to me was the 2nd owner and he purchased it with about 40,000. So, either it originally came with a steel gear or the 1st owner had already changed it. I did go back and double check the VIN` with the block and it is number matching. So who knows. I would say to all that if you are not sure what you have then pull the fuel pump and check. Shredded nylon teeth are a terrible experience. Thanks to all. -Jim