Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 01-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default welding pypes 409 stainless steel pipe

If I order a stainless exhaust system (409) can I weld that stainless pipe with my mig welder just like regular aluminized pipe?

Old 01-02-2010, 06:58 PM
Exhaust Guru

JL,
Sure, with the right rod and settings and gas you can. We welded lots of pipe and mufflers with the MIG. Looks different then a TIG-made weld of course but way better than the old arc weldign or simple brazing with an oxy-acetylene torch!

Old 01-02-2010, 09:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The stainless wire used in a MIG welder will be softer than carbon wire. Make sure you keep the leads as straight as possible. I use straight argon when welding stainless, not 75-25 like you would normally use for carbon steel. The weld will be ugly after welding, but they make cleaners you can brush on and let sit to polish it back up. Stop by a welding store and ask for weld brite or any other brand of stainless cleaner. They should know what you need. If you use a wire brush to polish it instead of a chemical make sure you use a stainless brush that hasnt been used on carbon steel. If you do use a old wire brush make sure you passivate the weld with the stainless cleaner. This will keep the rust from getting bad around the weld. But 400 series of stainless will probably rust anyway. Just make sure you use a good cleaner.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you spent all that money on a nice stainless system why not weld it right with a TIG and stainless rod ?

Old 01-03-2010, 04:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to poison heart

Stainless welds way better than mild steel with a mig. It's a lot cleaner and you can weld it a lot slower and make it look a lot better than regular steel. Of course TIG would be nicer but MIG does look nice too if you're a decent welder

I bought some 3" 45 degree bends from Summit and stainless was the cheapest so I got them, I cut them on 22 degree angles and turned them around and made 2 more 45s and welded them back together. They looked awesome and I'm not even a very experienced welder

1959 Star Chief 4 Dr HT dual quad 389 4 speed
1962 Pontiac Plain Jane Catalina

http://pontiac-59.com/
Old 01-03-2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison heart View Post
Stainless welds way better than mild steel with a mig. It's a lot cleaner and you can weld it a lot slower and make it look a lot better than regular steel. Of course TIG would be nicer but MIG does look nice too if you're a decent welder

I bought some 3" 45 degree bends from Summit and stainless was the cheapest so I got them, I cut them on 22 degree angles and turned them around and made 2 more 45s and welded them back together. They looked awesome and I'm not even a very experienced welder
Did you use stainless wire or mold steel?

Old 01-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The thing is that I have a Lincoln 220V MIG welder and the Pypes system is only available in the stainless. I will only have access to the regular MIG Gas but I heard you can get small spools of stainless welding wire at Home Depot. I would rather weld the system up as opposed to using band clamps. If I don't switch out the gas, is it still worth getting the stainless wire. Options? Thanks.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:26 PM
Suspended

All we ever did, when welding a good slip-fit joint, is to place a spot weld on each side of the joint. On stainless, we would drill a hole on the outside tube and TiG weld a small, circular bead. I still attach tailpipe tips this way.

There is no need whatsoever for a full-circle weld IF the slip fit is tight. If the slip-fit is sloppy, then a full-circle weld would be better...Robert

Old 01-04-2010, 04:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just used regular copper .23 wire with C25 gas. Welder a lot cleaner than mild steel

Old 01-04-2010, 10:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison heart View Post
I just used regular copper .23 wire with C25 gas. Welder a lot cleaner than mild steel
It will rust using mild steel wire plus you will get galvanic corrosion. Think dissimilar metals, just like copper and steel water lines. They will leak over time...
Its common praction to use a stainless filler rod when welding steel and stainless not carbon steel wire and stainless base metal. If you use a steel wire it will corrode and the exhaust heat will make it happen quicker. Usually the weld cracks around the edge of the stainless. If the fit is tight and it doesn take much stress the weld could last a long time. Put any stress on it with high heat it will crack. Do it right the first time.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdvm View Post
The thing is that I have a Lincoln 220V MIG welder and the Pypes system is only available in the stainless. I will only have access to the regular MIG Gas but I heard you can get small spools of stainless welding wire at Home Depot. I would rather weld the system up as opposed to using band clamps. If I don't switch out the gas, is it still worth getting the stainless wire. Options? Thanks.
Buy the stainless wire and try the gas mixture you have. It will work but the weld wont be as pretty and you'll need to mechanically polish or by a brightner that I talked about in a previous post. If spent the money on a SS system why not spend a little more to make sure its welded correctly. If the weld cracks over time you'll have to grind away all of the old weld because it "sugars" and wont give you a good base to weld to again.

Maybe finding someone local to tig weld it for you would be a better solution. If you were closer I could offer the help to you plus let you learn by doing. Maybe ask a VO-Tech school to weld it for you, a lot of good students out there welding.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We have fully welded several dozen stainless Pypes systems with the same welder/wire that is used for sheet metal repair. Welds great. yes the weld will rust. We actually clean the welds and paint with 1500 degree silver paint. Have been doing this since they switched to all stainless several years ago.

My site... needs updated-
www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!
Old 01-05-2010, 10:21 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sounds like it will be easier and better to just use band clamps.
Thanks for all the input.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdvm View Post
Sounds like it will be easier and better to just use band clamps.
Thanks for all the input.
?????????????Doesn't get much easier than turning your welder on and welding.

My site... needs updated-
www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!
Old 01-05-2010, 01:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just confused on will the Mig and steel wire work, should I use stainless wire, does it matter, will the welds last, etc. After a while all the posts seem to contradict themselves. Just want to do what I can do myself that will look the best and last.

Old 01-05-2010, 04:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can use copper and it will work just fine. I guess it will corrode over time but so will mild steel. I didn't know they made stainless wire. I welded those 45s at least a year and a half ago and it doesn't have any flash rust yet.

Just use stainless wire and C25 gas