The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 01-16-2010, 09:03 PM
Senior Chief

Default Novice Metal Hanging

Is it possible for someone who has never welded new metal onto a car to do it right? And If I'm real careful and take my time could I get it right? Or do I need to take it to a body shop and take a money bath to get this done? Thanks for any advice.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just take your time. speed warps when it comes to welding sheet metal.
A high quality GAS wire feed is a must for a first timer.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sleepy is right. Go slow. Read other posts regarding ways to do things. Get a machine for .030 diameter or smaller wire and use a tri mix gas like Stargon. But even then there are right ways and wrong ways to approach metal replacement. I'm right now redoing work a previous owner did and I hoped was done right. Wrong - I got stuck again and I swore I would never do this work again. I'm too old for this stuff. But that said, be advised that a lot of body shops don't do it right either. They just put on new bare metal and make the outside look pretty. But most rust comes from the inside out and you MUST get the inside properly rust proffed and sealed or you will get a chance to do it over. Unless you sell the car to someone else.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dude, just get out the mig and start sizzling away! It comes pretty easy with practice and getting some helpful advice.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Practice, practice, practice. Also, do a lot of research on each individual repair (quarter, fender, floor, ect) before making the first cut. Every area has its own nuances and "gotchas". The internet is a blessing here. Also, you can see a lot if you dig on youtube.

Finally, ask lots of questions in places like this. If mistakes are a teacher, then I (for one) am approaching Einestein levels of knowledge. I am sure I am not alone.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Its not possible to take a mig out of the box and weld decent the first time!!!! BUT you can take it out of the box and start practicing on scrap metal fender, sheet steel the same thickness or close to what you are welding. You can buy that at home lumber stores, tractor supply stores, hardware stores or local fab shops(just tell them what its for and they might have some cheap scrap to give you or sell for scrap prices. Or get old fender from junk yard. Cut and practice! read up on it. Take night classes.

If you don't want to do the above, you could start on a spot that doesn't show much like patch floor pans.(If you mess them up they can be re-welded or undercoated and most people won't even notice.

Even experienced welders grab scrap material same thickness and start welding on to set their welders settings right before they start on their project.

After some hours of practice you start to get good. But like everything else it takes practice.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

most machines has a chart on the inner lid to preset the controls for metal thickness
then tweak it from there
most newbies tend to weld too hot causing holes and warping
also skip your welds to avoid warping

Old 01-19-2010, 09:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Another thing that blows holes is space between the pieces when doing lap welds. Butt welds are just plain hard to do when beginning.
With lap welding, make sure the two pieces are tight against one another and make sure both pieces are clean of paint, rust dirt etc., both inside and out as much as possible.
There's a lot to learn and experience IS the best teacher.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The money you save from paying a body shop will more than pay for a nice welder and other tools that you will always own after.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:22 PM

Check with your local vo-tech school. They might have a course in autobody.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:15 AM
Senior Chief

If its non-structural, have you considered body adhesive? Eliminates the warping altogether, also serves as a great seam sealer. I put huge quarter panel batches on my ol junk bonneville, two years on still good.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:58 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan968 View Post
Check with your local vo-tech school. They might have a course in autobody.
There is no way I can do this, I work 16 HRS a day