THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default The Fabulous Ruins of Detriot

Fascinating site on the precipitous decline of Detroit...

http://detroityes.com/toc.htm

2015 Challenger R/T Plus, hemi, Sublime
Old 02-25-2010, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's incredible how great this country used to be before politicians sold us out. Detroit use to be THE technological capital of the world. Today it looks like Berlin Germany around 1946. Very sad, but I fear our entire country is going to look like Detroit one day. State by state is going bankrupt. I guess it was inevitable that with our (Americans) obsession with money, our culture was going to fall into ruins.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you want to see how our country will look in a few years, watch the movie "Idiocracy". It's a comedy, but it unintentionally predicted the future of America.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That was really cool. Id love to take a tour of this side of motor city someday before all these building are gone.

Thanks for posting.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOnly70 View Post
Fascinating site on the precipitous decline of Detroit...

http://detroityes.com/toc.htm
Words cannot describe how I feel about this city. I've spent hours poking around that webpage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue 66 View Post
That was really cool. Id love to take a tour of this side of motor city someday before all these building are gone.

Thanks for posting.

Paul - I'd be happy to show you around.

I have already given a couple tours of industrial sites (including the Pontiac Assembly location) to other PY members.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 02-25-2010, 02:04 PM

Default Sad

Born and raised there.......through the years seen everything & everyone abandon and or leave...including myself. There are alot of amazing people and facts that are forgoten.

Few examples

Chief Pontiac
Fort Detroit
Charles Lindberg
First freeway
Detroit Dragway..cha cha shirley Muldowny (not sure of the spelling)
Ted Nugent
Alice Cooper
Salt mines
Ambassador Bridge
Belle Isle
Bobalo Island

Old 02-25-2010, 02:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Instead of buying your everyday American McMansion....U coulda picked up the Pontiac Silverdome for $538,000 (US dollars)......

http://www.canada.com/sports/Toronto...970/story.html

Old 02-25-2010, 02:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wasn't Bob Seeger from Detroit too? And don't forget Motown!

I still remember my young days following the Detroit Tigers, back when Mickey Lolich, Al Kaline, Bill Freehan, and Norm Cash were some of the elite players of the league. Exciting times, great town. We lived about a mile from the Red Fox Inn, where Jimmy Hoffa's last whereabouts were known. When I was a kid, my parents used to point at the restaurant whenever we passed, but I didn't understand who Jimmy Hoffa was. Oddly enough, I freaked when I saw clip of "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire", and the contestant was at the $250,000 level. The final question (for $1 million) was "Where was Jimmy Hoffa last seen?" I couldn't believe it, but there it was, one of the choices was "The Red Fox Inn". The contestant bailed out, and I was yelling, "I know that one! I know that one!"

I still remember going under the overpass that had the big "Cobo Hall" sign, I believe that's where many music concerts were held, including Bob Seeger, KISS, Yes, and Journey, and I believe many of them made live albums from that venue. Great rock 'n roll town.

And on another highway, I remember seeing the giant Uniroyal Tire, which was always a highlight to see for us kids riding in the back seat of dad's Buick.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNoun View Post
Wasn't Bob Seeger from Detroit too? And don't forget Motown!

I still remember my young days following the Detroit Tigers, back when Mickey Lolich, Al Kaline, Bill Freehan, and Norm Cash were some of the elite players of the league. Exciting times, great town. We lived about a mile from the Red Fox Inn, where Jimmy Hoffa's last whereabouts were known. When I was a kid, my parents used to point at the restaurant whenever we passed, but I didn't understand who Jimmy Hoffa was. Oddly enough, I freaked when I saw clip of "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire", and the contestant was at the $250,000 level. The final question (for $1 million) was "Where was Jimmy Hoffa last seen?" I couldn't believe it, but there it was, one of the choices was "The Red Fox Inn". The contestant bailed out, and I was yelling, "I know that one! I know that one!"

I still remember going under the overpass that had the big "Cobo Hall" sign, I believe that's where many music concerts were held, including Bob Seeger, KISS, Yes, and Journey, and I believe many of them made live albums from that venue. Great rock 'n roll town.

And on another highway, I remember seeing the giant Uniroyal Tire, which was always a highlight to see for us kids riding in the back seat of dad's Buick.
Bob Seger - "Live Bullet"
Uniroyal tire was on I94 west of Detroit heading to Romulus
I saw Kiss at COBO 1976
Seen the Pistons play at cobo & Redwings at the Olympia, Lions at Tiger Stadium
Strohs Brewery
Vernors soda
Better Maid chips
Sanders
Forgot about Denny McLain (last picture to win like 28 games in one season or something like that)
Hudsons, Federals department Stores

Only time I was really scared when I lived there was during the 1967 Riots. Also remember going and buying all the grocerys we could after MLK was shot..thought for sure the riots were going to start again!!

Old 02-25-2010, 02:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Makes me glad I don't live in Detroit. It's sad enough that Pontiac is gone, but to see those unoccupied buildings - now that would make it tougher.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:56 PM

Denny McLain won 30 games that year, something you probably won't see again.

If you want to be blown away, drive around the Packard ruins sometime. Huge complex of buildings abandoned since the mid fifties. Ruins might not be the best word because the buildings were all reinforced concrete and are still structurally sound, just gutted out.

I believe the tallest abandoned buildings in the world are in downtown Detroit.

It breaks my heart.

Eric

Old 02-25-2010, 09:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
We lived about a mile from the Red Fox Inn, where Jimmy Hoffa's last whereabouts were known. When I was a kid, my parents used to point at the restaurant whenever we passed, but I didn't understand who Jimmy Hoffa was. Oddly enough, I freaked when I saw clip of "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire", and the contestant was at the $250,000 level. The final question (for $1 million) was "Where was Jimmy Hoffa last seen?" I couldn't believe it, but there it was, one of the choices was "The Red Fox Inn". The contestant bailed out, and I was yelling, "I know that one! I know that one!"

Machus Red Fox, now Andiamo's Bloomfield; 6676 Telegraph in Bloomfield.

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 02-25-2010, 10:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Keith! I think I confused the "Machus Red Fox" with the "Inn"!

When I was a kid, I always thought it was somehow connected to the comedian Redd Foxx, as "Sanford & Son" was big at that time. Didn't know what a Jimmy Hoffa was, didn't understand what a union was. All I knew was "Woodward Ave." that my brothers thought was so cool, and a hobby shop on Woodward Ave. that I used to spend all afternoon at, when I could get one of my parents to drop me off there.

It's unthinkable nowadays to imagine a parent dropping a kid off at a hobby shop to race slot cars, with no cell phones, and not knowing how to use a pay phone, but you know, we somehow managed to survive.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:11 PM
Suspended

and people ask me why I hate our treasonest politicians of both political parties. Party at my house when they start getting their heads blowed off for what they have done to our country.
F@#$ reid, pelosi, and the pos in the whitehouse along with the ones before him. First bush, then we had clinton running more factories out than anyone before or since, followed up by you got it!. Yeah, I'm a bit pissed off at our politicians and the damage they INTENDED to do to our Nation and did. F'em all from both political parties. Let the second American revolution begin and why wait until election day?

Old 02-25-2010, 10:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcar View Post
Denny McLain won 30 games that year, something you probably won't see again.

If you want to be blown away, drive around the Packard ruins sometime. Huge complex of buildings abandoned since the mid fifties. Ruins might not be the best word because the buildings were all reinforced concrete and are still structurally sound, just gutted out.

I believe the tallest abandoned buildings in the world are in downtown Detroit.

It breaks my heart.

Eric
Why are the buildings still there?

Old 02-25-2010, 10:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Thanks Keith! I think I confused the "Machus Red Fox" with the "Inn"!

When I was a kid, I always thought it was somehow connected to the comedian Redd Foxx, as "Sanford & Son" was big at that time. Didn't know what a Jimmy Hoffa was, didn't understand what a union was. All I knew was "Woodward Ave." that my brothers thought was so cool, and a hobby shop on Woodward Ave. that I used to spend all afternoon at, when I could get one of my parents to drop me off there.

It's unthinkable nowadays to imagine a parent dropping a kid off at a hobby shop to race slot cars, with no cell phones, and not knowing how to use a pay phone, but you know, we somehow managed to survive.
i hate to sound like a doomsdayer but, your recollection is the sign of the times. The good ole days of innocent fun and not worry about bad things happening in many U.S. cities are over.

Detroit is a prime example of a mass migration into.... and a mass exodus out, if you know what i mean....

Old 02-26-2010, 02:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool Ditto...

Quote:
Originally Posted by goquick View Post
and people ask me why I hate our treasonest politicians of both political parties. Party at my house when they start getting their heads blowed off for what they have done to our country.
F@#$ reid, pelosi, and the pos in the whitehouse along with the ones before him. First bush, then we had clinton running more factories out than anyone before or since, followed up by you got it!. Yeah, I'm a bit pissed off at our politicians and the damage they INTENDED to do to our Nation and did. F'em all from both political parties. Let the second American revolution begin and why wait until election day?
a special place in hell for all of them if there is any justice at all in this world!

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 T/A View Post
Why are the buildings still there?
Too expensive to tear them down.

Some of these industrial complexes, like the Packard Plant - or the old Pontiac Assembly center, are small cities in and of themselves.

K

Old 02-26-2010, 04:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That's what it looks like in Erie, Pa. Once an industrial area, now all they want is tourists, hotel and restaurants. People keep moving and they are bitching about the tax base here, go figure heh...

Old 02-26-2010, 04:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue 66 View Post

Thanks for posting.
Yeah that would be cool.I've been doing something similar here.Taking pics of what's left of our local landmarks,buildings,etc.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just like Gary, In. It really was a beautiful city before the late 60 sixties.
And the steel mills along the lake front from Chicago to Michigan city.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100