THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:55 PM

Default Anyone know about coins on here (1776 Continental Dollar)

A friend of mine had this stashed for years and I'm trying to determine the value.
Due to it being dated 1776, during the Declaration of Independence when we kicked those Red Coat's Arse, I figure it's of some value.

I'm wondering if I should get an appraiser of sorts or just sell on the open market or in a forum.

I googled it a bit and may have hit the jackpot with this one.

Seen one in pristine shape asking 375,000 and then found one sold in 04' for a mere 50k and then another in 07' for 117,000.

This one is a bit rougher condition, but mostly tarnish. It's made of brass so I could possibly clean it and make it look as good as the one's that sold for big money.

From what I've read this is one of the most sought after coins in history.

One might even venture to say, it was the coin that founded this Great Country.

Read the markings. It say's Continental Curency (misspelled) and mind your business (slap in the face to those redcoats) LOL!
And on the reverse it says American Congress "WE ARE ONE"
And has the 13 states at the time of American Revolution in circles, looping around the outer edges.

He offered me .25% of the sell if I can do the leg work for him, if I loan him 3k upfront. All in writing of course or he would sell it outright to me for 50k.

Should I consider this?

Thanks for any help

I recently acquired this coin and don't really know much about it.
Looking to sell it and was wanting to get as much for as it as I can.

I'm a newbie here and to coins. I've actually had it for a very long time but had it put away and forgot I had it. Again, Ihave no idea of it's worth.

Could someone tell me if I should have this appraised or take it to a auction
or perhaps sell to a member.

Thanks for any help at all
Links below:

Last edited by KEVGTO; 03-02-2010 at 12:33 AM.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hittin' the corn likker tonight are we?

Old 03-02-2010, 12:23 AM

Yep, corn liquor it is bonehead...
Nope, not really just trying to make a buck like usual... lol

Old 03-02-2010, 12:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

First step - get it authenticated. Important coins like this have been replicated and counterfeited for a long time, at least 50+ years. Maybe even 100+ years. So, just because he has had it a while is no guarantee it is the real deal.

Last edited by 68bird400HO; 03-02-2010 at 12:31 AM.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think they sell those to tourists on the street corner in DC.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:34 AM

pics added

Old 03-02-2010, 12:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68bird400HO View Post
First step - get it authenticated. Important coins like this have been replicated and counterfeited for a long time, at least 50+ years. Maybe even 100+ years. So, just because he has had it a while is no guarantee it is the real deal.
Kev before i would put any money in it i would do as said on this post. Good luck.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm no expert but there are supposed to be less than 100 real originals known in existance. There are copies of that coin made as souveniers so I'd find a respected coin grader to have it looked at. I wouldn't clean it as there are some things you could do to try and make it look better that could actually lower it's value if it is an original coin. The description you give sounds like it is circulated and the prices you are seeing are for coins in mint uncirculated or almost uncirculated condition which makes a big difference over what even a slightly worn coin would bring. Still as said above the most important thing to determine is whether it's real or a souvenier coin. Good luck on it.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Two quick checks you can do to help determine authenticity. One, look at the edge. Do you see a seem there or does it have a pattern going around it that matches the original (if these coins had some sort of pattern - reeding, letter, other design). Fakes are often cast off of real ones and there will be a seem on the edge, unless it was filed smooth. Two, weigh it. Does it come close to what is published for the originals. Also, struck coins have a smooth surface as they were struck from a plachette. Fakes often have a rougher surface and muted details because they were cast.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If it is real, anything you do to clean it will lower the value - I wouldn't touch it with anything.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:04 AM

I'm doing my homework as we speak. I've done read up on about 10 versions of fakes and how to authenticate a real one. So far, I've found that they're were 3 versions of the real one's. One silver (very rare, only 1 in existence) and very few uncirculated pewter or brass one's.

I found a coin forum and have been discussing the authenticity with them. So far this thing has answered all the questions. They were originally leaded of sorts on the edges so they should write like a pencil and it does. It should way 26 grams, fakes were around 18 grams. Gonna weigh it at work tomorrow. Based on the pics, I already have guys chomping at the bit wanting my phone number.

But, I'm not giving it out until I dig deeper and can 100% make sure it is what it is.

I'm definately not going to clean it now that I've done some homework.

But, even when I'm satisfied, were taking it to a professional coin appraiser and make sure its the real mccoy.

Keep your fingers crossed..

Old 03-02-2010, 02:10 AM

If it were mine entirely I would keep it for my kids. If it's real he offered it to me for around 50k. Actually the guys in dire straights and would probably take 20-30 cash if flashed in his face.

Either way if it's real and if I'll loan him 3k to help him out and I do all the leg work of making the sell, he said we'd get it in writing that I get 25% and my 3k back (plus, get to keep the coin until the sell is done)

So, were taking it one step at a time. Who knows it could turn out to be a fake and not worth 2 bucks. But, I'm at least gonna check in on it.

Fakes have been around since the early 60's from what I've read and this thing looks ancient. But if it were circulated it could end up in that shape in that amount of years.

But according to what I've read the fakes dont make lead marks when you try and write with them.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

He would have to be a pretty good friend and well trusted to front $3K so that I can get back 25% of a super rare coin... Kinda sounds like the offshore account with $10 Million that my brothers uncles friends boss inherited but he needs $5000 to process the paperwork to get it into the country...

Granted, I know you've obviously seen/have the coin, but from the outside it sounds a lot like the scams you hear. Hopefully it will work out for you. You HAVE to keep us posted though... it's a great story to follow!

Old 03-02-2010, 09:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Call Rick on Pawn Stars (history channel) he knows plenty of guys that can tell if it's the real deal. One thing I have learned about while watching that show was no matter how grungy the item, "DON'T CLEAN IT UP" that brings the value down considerably. Collectors aren't like crows and they don't want shiny stuff they want original patina kinda like Mike Nixon on his cars....

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 03-02-2010, 10:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have owned several slabbed coins in the past, but sold them because I decided that I liked my 1968 Firebird better. You would be smart to send it to PCGS who will authenticate the coin, grade it and place it in one of its holders ("slab it") if they can determine that it is real. No collector will question its authenticity if in a PCGS or NGC holder, but PCGS is the real leader in the coin grading business. You may need a local coin dealer to submit the coin to PCGS.

It will be much easier to sell if you will do this--if it happens to be real. Rare coins can be a high stakes game. You need to take a little time here of course.

You may be able to sell it to one of the national coin dealers also. I sold my collection to Rare Coins of New Hampshire because they gave me the best price on my coins.

Good luck, but have a known authority slab the coin to prove it is real if it is. A rare coin and medal scholar is called a numismatist! Can you imagine telling people that you are a numismatist?

Some people know all of their rights, but none of their obligations.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:18 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sorry if I'm off base on this, but how long have you known this "friend"? He seems to be very generous and trusting with what he is offering you for someone in dire straights. Maybe he's hoping to get at least the $3000 before you find out its a fake and then he's have a small loan until times get better for him. Did he offer the same deal to anyone else?

This doesn't sound to far from a con where someone is offered an "object" that if real is valuable for an very undermarket price. After doing some quick homework the mark see it as a chance to makes $$$ and gets sucked in. Next is going to be a call where somethings come up and I need to move this item fast.

For a $3000 loss you'll write it off as an expensive lesson. For $20k-50k you wrote him a good reason to vanish. Multiple that by how many people were offered this "deal", some do the 3K and the greedy go for the big score.

Again I applogies if he is truely a friend in dire straights, but with the internet this is something he can easily research himself without having to share the amounts you are talking about.

Keep us informed about the outcome of this.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

DO WHAT BET WINNER SAYS !!!!!!!!!!! Sorry about the caps,but,this has to be verified by P.C.G.S.(Professional Coin Graders Society).This company is regarded as the best and most respected in the world.They of course have a website.Follow the directions for submission.I recall that coin dealers can do this for you,and do it right.
The best advise you found out was,do NOT EVER clean a coin you think may have value-ever !! It usually drops the price of the coind up tp 50%
The last point,if the dealer recommends what youshould do with the coin,or that "it's a fake,but I'll take it off your hands as a copy" tell him or her NO. Submit it,and if it is real,have it slabbed and graded. Larry B.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:00 PM

I've known this guy for the better part of 20-30 years. He has been best friends with my uncle for as long as I can remember.

The only reason he came to me with it was my uncle recommended me because the owner of said coin is illiterate with little education, my uncle as well.

He knew that I had the means of finding out the value and determining if it's real or not.
And that I could find a way to come up with some quick money. (by no means am I rich, but I make a honest living)

I've known him my whole life practically but have not been real close, but have visited from time to time. He's from a poor family and none of them have any real education either, most including him not even finishing grade school.

So basically, I was the first person they could think of since I do have a little smarts anyway... lol!

By no means is any money gonna get handed over to him without me verifying this thing as real and then graded. And then were gonna have to get a written contract and consult an attorney. Again, all pending on if it's even "REAL"

I'm not getting my hope's up, but would be nice if it is.

I've found a coin forum and have members PM'ing me like crazy asking for my number.
Some saying it looks real and others saying it's a fake..

So who know's. I'm gonna find a reputable coin dealer and do this the correct way.
I'm not throwing away money only to find out this thing is a fake that I could have bought off of amazon.com for a mere 2 bucks.....

Wish me luck.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1. Get it authenticated.
2. If it's real, submit it to Heritage Auctions. Website: www.ha.com. They sold one of 5 1913 Liberty nickels for over $3 million. They can sell your coin. It's possible, they'll submit the coin to an authenticator for you.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:38 PM

Who can I get locally to authenticate this? or can I?
Will I have to ship it or take it some place far off?