Old 03-09-2010, 09:10 AM

Default '78 shaker modifications ?

Hello guys,
Being new to this forum, I want to ask what are the common mods to the shaker
non functional inlet. Anything ? is it a cheesey modification ? My '78 of course is non functional . What are you guys doing ?

Old 03-09-2010, 12:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Opening up the shaker on a 73 & later T/A is TOTALLY OK,but if your existing shaker (and car) is still really nice & original,you might want to consider picking up a second shaker that has been cut open already & paint it to match your car.

77-81 shakers can be easily opened up with a jigsaw (after drilling a pilot hole for the blade to start). You can dress the opening cut with a file to make it look nice.
(tape the base of your jigsaw with masking tape to avoid scratching the paint)

It's also common/simple to insert some type of screen or mesh inside the opening to keep rocks,sticks & small birds out of your air cleaner.

Be warned that when you wash your T/A or leave it parked out in the rain water will pool/gather in the bottom of air filter housing.

If your engine is still "stock",you might want to consider stepping up a size or two on the carb main jets as the added fresh air could cause a "lean condition".

Now you will get to hear the secondaries WAIL when you put your foot in it.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:52 PM

I just assumed the block off plate was removable ! damn ! I guess I have my answer
this car is so original I would hate to modify anything. I looked for 2 years for just the right one and scored last night.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OK,so how about "show 'n tell"?

Post some pics.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:30 PM

I can tell but can't show till I get her home next week. White/carmine cloth. WS6 W72 4spd. 27000 miles. Original paint, perfect interior. Factory right down to the hose clamps and plug wires. The only things not original are the tires and the battery. A lot of people use original and mint too loosely, this thing is a time capsule. I was shocked to see the cast aluminum wheels didn't even have a speck of corrosion on them.
White would not have been my first choice but I am a happy dude !

Old 03-09-2010, 01:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Very cool find. I look forward to seeing some pics when you get them. Re the shaker, like stated, I wouldn't do this to an original one, but I've used this kit with my '73 and am very happy with it. http://pontiactransamshakers.homestead.com/

Old 03-10-2010, 10:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There's usually no shortage of shakers on ebay. You might even find one already opened up in the correct color.

I agree with you about not wanting to cut up a nice original part.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That's true. It's not too hard to find another shaker, but you must find a shaker like yours. In your case, you need one from a "late" 77 up thru 79 for a 400 engine. The "early" 77's used a low-rise shaker that has a different looking scoop that is shorter than the later 77 and later ones. The easiest way to tell an early 77 is that it has a pronounced ridge on the top center of it.

And all shakers are not the same. Although the fiberglass scoop part of the shaker looks the same for a late 77 and up to 81, the metal adapter plate that's riveted to it is different for each engine that it was used on. That is so the shaker will be centered in the hole in the hood for the type of engine it is on, since the different engines don't have the carb in exactly the same place in relation to the hood. So, a 400 shaker has a different adapter plate on it than a 403 or 301 or 305 does...each is different.

So, if you go looking for another shaker for your car, take your shaker off first, turn it over and look at the metal adapter plate, so you know what it looks like. You will see that it has 2 points that look like triangular protrusions, inside the metal ring. The 77-79 shakers for 400's have those 2 points in the adapter plate, so that's how you know you'd be getting the right one. The other shaker adapters don't have those points.

Often on eBay, people will advertise a 403, 301, or 305 shaker, and claim that it fits a 400 too, but they don't. And you can't tell unless they show a bottom view of the shaker so you can see the adapter plate. So, don't buy one without being able to see the bottom of it.

The 400 shakers are a little harder to come by, and are more in demand, so will usually bring more money.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Heres some more info:

http://www.thepontiactransampage.com/shaker.html

http://www.78ta.com/scoops.php

Old 03-13-2010, 04:51 PM

Default Shaker Hood Scoop

Shortly after I bought my '78 T/A (new, in 1978), I went to the dealer's parts desk & ordered a shaker for a '76 (starting in 1977, the separate/detachable blocking plate was gone, & replaced with integral molding).

The '76 shaker had a metal plate, secured with 3 pop rivets. I simply drilled the rivets out, painted the scoop a matching Aztec Gold colour, affixed a rubber seal around the perimeter of the shaker (where it contacts the underside of the hood), and I was off & away...

I can't say that I've ever gotten any accumulation of rain in my air filter pan with the thing run open all the time---although I still have the blocking plate here...somewhere(!).

As a previous poster said, you can REALLY hear those 4 barrels on the Q-jet kick-in now! And even when idling, there's a loud & steady "HISSSSSSSS" coming out the back the shaker, as the engine breathes in fresh, cold air...

It's well worth the modification, IMHO---and the older Pontiac literature claimed a 5 horsepower increase in performance at highway speeds because of a functional shaker---well worthwhile (every little bit helps, right...?!).

Eddy
Ontario, CANADA

Old 03-24-2010, 03:53 PM

I am really looking forward to driving this one.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ta1.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	201127   Click image for larger version

Name:	ta2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	201128  

Old 03-26-2010, 05:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice score, bajagold70

Old 03-30-2010, 05:04 AM

my shaker isn't cut open all the way. it actually has 3 holes cut out on each side. More than enough air can get through. Then i took the shaker base/airfilter housing and covered up the holes on it so that i am not getting hot air into the carb. it's constantly cold air.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:23 AM

when i say on each side i mean on each side of the centerline on the back.

Old 04-04-2010, 12:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As mentioned, you'll have to deal with debris and water issues. I've had my shaker cut open for six years now. When washing the car, I place a small towel in the opening to prevent water from entering. I keep the car in a garage when not being driven, and don't drive the car in the rain. Occasionally I'll find a leaf and some dust in the air cleaner housing, but I clean it out every couple washes. You could always install one of the solenoid operated valves, which could be wired to either open during full throttle or whenever the ignition is on.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used a hand sander and slowly sanded the edges until the back was one big whole. sounds nice when on the throttle.