Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 06-24-2010, 07:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default flexplate / flywheel info for the pontiac folks

well, i had bought a scat flexplate, (one of the sfi approved cheapies) i think i paid around 50 bucks for it. Well the holes for the converter never would line up. So we had to drill out the converter holes and it still didnt fit right. I went ahead and ran it for a little while and it wallered (notched) the holes itself and you can see metal transfer marks on the converter and the flexplate from where it has never worked right.

I finally got fed up with this piece of crap and ordered a tci flexplate. Now i was very unhappy when i found out it was 200 dollars!!!!! But i thought, maybe just maybe its a better piece. The new one showed up, and didnt look too much different than the cheapie. So i was a little unimpressed.

last night i bolted the flexplate up on the cherry picker, went ahead and stuck the converter up to it and went to put in the bolts and walla!!!!! The bolts fell right in and it fit perfect!!!!!! Needless to say i am extremely happy with my purchase and my tci flexplate.

Wish i would have done this a long time ago. Thanks tci for a great product.

Don Dial Race Cars
Old 06-24-2010, 08:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

BrandX,

Good deal. All too often, people can be their own "worst enemy". There is the erroneous perception that pros that build engines and/or cars recommend "the good stuff" to make more money. In reality, they (we) make less, but the peace of mind that comes from quality is worth more than dollars.

Two phrases to "purge from your vocabulary" while working na classic car, especially a high performance or race car:

"Get away with..." or "Just as good only cheaper". The first one can cause real safety issues as well as a poor or short-lived performer. The latter is the difference between a good one and GREAT one.

Jim

Old 06-24-2010, 08:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandX View Post
well, i had bought a scat flexplate, (one of the sfi approved cheapies) i think i paid around 50 bucks for it. Well the holes for the converter never would line up. So we had to drill out the converter holes and it still didnt fit right. I went ahead and ran it for a little while and it wallered (notched) the holes itself and you can see metal transfer marks on the converter and the flexplate from where it has never worked right.

I finally got fed up with this piece of crap and ordered a tci flexplate. Now i was very unhappy when i found out it was 200 dollars!!!!! But i thought, maybe just maybe its a better piece. The new one showed up, and didnt look too much different than the cheapie. So i was a little unimpressed.

last night i bolted the flexplate up on the cherry picker, went ahead and stuck the converter up to it and went to put in the bolts and walla!!!!! The bolts fell right in and it fit perfect!!!!!! Needless to say i am extremely happy with my purchase and my tci flexplate.

If TCI is still powdercoating their flexplate, then remove it and remove the powdercoating from under the boltheads and anywhere else the plate gets "clamped".

If TCI uses a plating on the flexplate, then you're good

I haven't used a TCI fleplate since they warranteed mine about three years ago. The meziere billet is the only one I'll use now.....

http://www.meziere.com/displaycategory.aspx?id=111,123

Old 06-24-2010, 09:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you install it with the decals facing forward?

John

Old 06-24-2010, 09:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow. I went through the same deal with a CAT/SCAT (think it was a CAT, as it had the profile of a jungle cat on the decal) 8 years ago. It was out of round and eventually busted off several teeth on the ring gear and went through one mini-starter. Thought I was saving money, I ended up buying a new starter and a new, better TCI flexplate.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:51 AM
Senior Chief

2x The meziere billet is the only one

Old 06-24-2010, 10:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

you get what you pay for...

Old 06-24-2010, 11:05 AM

[QUOTE=Brian Baker;4025752] It was out of round.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=606912

I have a JW on the race car now. I will never buy another one of those china fools gold flexplates again!

Old 06-24-2010, 04:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:

Yup, I made the same mistake and had the same problem. Needless to say, that's thelast time for me too!

Old 06-24-2010, 08:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. P-Body View Post
BrandX,

Good deal. All too often, people can be their own "worst enemy". There is the erroneous perception that pros that build engines and/or cars recommend "the good stuff" to make more money. In reality, they (we) make less, but the peace of mind that comes from quality is worth more than dollars.

Two phrases to "purge from your vocabulary" while working na classic car, especially a high performance or race car:

"Get away with..." or "Just as good only cheaper". The first one can cause real safety issues as well as a poor or short-lived performer. The latter is the difference between a good one and GREAT one.

Jim
Well said words to live by. Racing isn't cheap - so don't be a cheap racer.

Jim B

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

did you notice the sfi scat was externally balanced (Pontiac offset pattern) and the TCI is internal balance (even pattern balance holes)? Or perhaps tci sells a pontiac balanced plate now that Im not aware of?

My Daddy bought me a car but all I got was this old Pontiac.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponjohn View Post
Did you install it with the decals facing forward?

John

it was wierd....it would only bolt up one way. With the stickers forward.

Don Dial Race Cars
Old 06-25-2010, 08:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i am guessing thats the right way since it would only bolt up that way?

Don Dial Race Cars
Old 06-25-2010, 08:11 AM
Senior Chief

Send a message via Yahoo to TOP 452

Had a TCI that the decal was on the wrong side.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

what is the right side ?

Don Dial Race Cars
Old 06-25-2010, 09:13 AM
Senior Chief

Send a message via Yahoo to TOP 452

It should only bolt up 1 way.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:56 PM
Suspended

there really is not any right or wrong side as it should only bolt on one way in terms of both the bolt pattern and which side faces the crank shaft.

If you find you have to modify an sfi component to make it work, its best to return it because if you modify it in any way it is no longer SFI approved..

Old 06-25-2010, 03:10 PM

I use a TCI on my race car and it's a nice piece. I have found it best to stay away from the cheap off shore junk flexplates. Even if they are sfi approved they are very cheap. There are some nice products coming from China these days but IMO flexplates are not one of them.

Take it EZ,
Brett

Thanks to our sponsors,
Hoosier tires, Be Cool Radiators, K&N Filters, Scat, Jesel, Les Schwab Tires, ATO Transmissions
Old 07-23-2010, 10:38 PM

what about the hayes flexplate that jegs sells?part number 13-065? anyone use this,,i have a new converter coming and had to put a new stator in it,i,d like the tci but dont have the extra cash
-

Old 07-23-2010, 11:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought an ATI. It fit great except the bolt holes were all too small. Had to drill them all out. Fit great after that.