Old 06-27-2010, 04:00 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Question Removing Receiver Dryer

How the hell does it come out, do you have to remove the whole front end?
I have hideaways. Best I can tell the front's got to come off to remove dryer.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:23 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default That's an option but......

You can also pull the radiator. The dryer is attached to the radiator tank on the passenger side.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:54 PM

On a G/P you pull the lower valance. Took me les than an hour to do the one on the 69 G/P a week or so ago. No big deal.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 06-27-2010, 09:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
You can also pull the radiator. The dryer is attached to the radiator tank on the passenger side.
I've got the radiator out at the moment, the dryer is attached to the condenser, but I can't see that coming out without removing the front panel.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

LOL

having just torn off the front end of my car, and spending quite a bit of time educating the neighbors on various ways to combine 4 letter offensive words into creative phrases while doing so, i can more than confidently say you pretty much gotta take the whole front end off.

the way the condenser mounts to the core support, bolted in, i coundnt see any possible way it was coming out w/o the bumper off.

as far as the R/D mounted to the condenser, yes, it's clamped in there. if you had/have enough room to get line wrench on the fittings, you might be able to get it out w/o tearing the front end down.

the mounting isn't exactly the sturdiest, a small curved strap that "hooks" in on one end has a small screw on the other end, will just buckle and deform under the amount of force you're going to have to exert in order to break the fittings from it. ask me how i know that.....

Old 06-28-2010, 09:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default My bad....Geez!

You're right, it is attached to the condensor. The shop manual states that you have to drop the condensor out the bottom by taking off the lower valance panel.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
the way the condenser mounts to the core support, bolted in, i coundnt see any possible way it was coming out w/o the bumper off.
Yea, I agree and I think it's crazy that you have to go to these lengths to replace a dryer.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:15 PM

I'm not sure which car you are working on exactly, but if you take the front grill off it is very easy to get at it and remove. I do have hideaway lights and I just did mine...about 30 minutes total time for removal...I've yet to reinstall, but it should take no more than 30 more minutes. Oh, I have a '69 GTO.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:33 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
I'm not sure which car you are working on exactly, but if you take the front grill off it is very easy to get at it and remove. I do have hideaway lights and I just did mine...about 30 minutes total time for removal...I've yet to reinstall, but it should take no more than 30 more minutes. Oh, I have a '69 GTO.
I've got a 69 GTO as well. Got the dryer off same as you, took grill out and had to remove the hideaway arm bracket as well. Now I need to find a new dryer that will fit.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzmann View Post
I've got a 69 GTO as well. Got the dryer off same as you, took grill out and had to remove the hideaway arm bracket as well. Now I need to find a new dryer that will fit.
good for you! i might say you got a little bit lucky, at least compared to me.

mine might as well have been welded in, as far as the lines to the R/D were concerned.....

actually, the R/D is still attached to the condenser, only now they're sitting against the wall by my basement door as opposed to the front end of the car.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I once read that there is a company that rebuilds the original dryers. They cut them open and re-weld so they appear stock. Overkill for me though.

'69 GTO Ragtop, 455, RA, KRE SD Perf ported heads and "old Faithful" cam, Sean Murphy Q-Jet, Tremec 5spd, Moser Trutrac 3:73, Hotchkiss, Speedtech, Wilwood
'64 Lemans Convertible, Tremec TKO600
Old 07-04-2010, 02:37 PM

Guys the dryer is available @ Carquest . P/N 208507 Cost less than 30.00 has the sight glass in the top like OE. Only diff is it's a smidge shorter. Same unit as used on my G/P. R134 or R12 compatible.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill