Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 08-07-2010, 02:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Front control arm re-install

This is for a 68 GTO. Tomorrow I'm going to put my front control arm and springs back on. The body is off the frame, so I have a question.

Is it ok to compress the spring and put the ball joints thru the spindles and then leave it that way for a few weeks? I won't have the engine back in the frame and just want to make sure the ball joints is all I need to keep the springs in (no weight on the front tires). Is this safe?

Thanks

Old 08-07-2010, 05:29 PM
Suspended

its not clear what you are asking. its best and safest to completely and correctly assemble the a arms and install then as you normally would. no harm wil be done if the front end is assembled and no engine is installed for a few weeks.

I had a problem where the spring shifted in the frame and I could not get a spring compressor inside to compres it to correct the problem. it was like disarming a mine. especialy with HD BBC/AC and a engine in it. No fun.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontirag View Post
its not clear what you are asking. its best and safest to completely and correctly assemble the a arms and install then as you normally would. no harm wil be done if the front end is assembled and no engine is installed for a few weeks.

I had a problem where the spring shifted in the frame and I could not get a spring compressor inside to compres it to correct the problem. it was like disarming a mine. especialy with HD BBC/AC and a engine in it. No fun.
OK...I'm still nervous about doing this.

I have a bare frame (no body and no engine)

Is it OK to install the control arms and springs only? So the only thing holding the springs in will be control arms and ball joints.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

As long as the nuts that hold that press the ball joint to the spindle are torqued I see no harm in it.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:09 PM
Suspended

essentially it ok. the risk is in the installation. compress the spring, install it, install the spindle and screw on the upper and lower ball joint nuts. then release the spring compressor.

use an internal spring compressor and slowly release the tension after youve bolted on to the a arms the spindle.

the safety concern is gentle handleing of the spring when it is fully compressed, Dont fear it. understand the risks and respect it.

On that happy note... I had a friend try to install Mcfearson struts in a 76 ford capri. the spring got away from him and hit him square in the chest.Broke that bone in the middle of his chest where all the ribs meet. took a long time to regroup from that

Old 08-08-2010, 11:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
On that happy note... I had a friend try to install Mcfearson struts in a 76 ford capri. the spring got away from him and hit him square in the chest.Broke that bone in the middle of his chest where all the ribs meet. took a long time to regroup from that
That's a happy note!

Old 08-16-2010, 06:44 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Something is wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontirag View Post
essentially it ok. the risk is in the installation. compress the spring, install it, install the spindle and screw on the upper and lower ball joint nuts. then release the spring compressor.

use an internal spring compressor and slowly release the tension after youve bolted on to the a arms the spindle.

the safety concern is gentle handleing of the spring when it is fully compressed, Dont fear it. understand the risks and respect it.

Something is not right with this installation. Look at the angle of the upper ball joint stud after I put the springs in.

- I'm pretty sure the springs are in the upper pockets
- I clocked the springs so the ends are close to the drain hole in the lower control arm

Wrong parts?
Something I'm doing wrong?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02504.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	215441  

Old 08-16-2010, 09:49 AM

It's fine. Once the body and engine is in place, the ball joint angle will change and look normal.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm wondering about my front springs now, because my angles are fine without any weight on them. However I'm debating replacing the fronts. When I took the car apart I twisted out about 12 of those coil boosters.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you had that many boosters in the springs there toast.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by n20ta2 View Post
If you had that many boosters in the springs there toast.
That's what I was thinking.