Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 08-18-2010, 01:39 PM

Default Tire Size Issue

I recently ordered an original restored set of Rally ll wheels for my 1967 GTO 15X 7"
Here is my dilema. I do not have the rims as of yet but plan on going to Carlisle to purchase a set of Coker Red Line tires.I would like to purchase four P235/60 R15 but am a little worried as to whether I may have a problem with them rubbing on the front.I have read most of the feedback and get somewhat mixed reactions. I do not know the spacing on the rear of the rim ahead of time and I do not want to get stuck with the tires once purchased.
Thanks for any help as this is my first time posting.
Bill

Old 08-18-2010, 03:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have 235/60/15's on the front of my '67 LeMans, on 7 inch wheels with a 4 1/4'' backspace. They have been on the car for years, but they do occasionally scrape when making a left turn and hitting a bump at the same time.

I would guess that you are finding a lot of mixed information because it will be a close fit, and because there are a lot of variables.

I'm not sure but I think the original 15x7 rally II's could have either a 4 1/4" or a 4 1/2"
backspace. The caster adjustment will slightly change the position of the wheel and tire in the wheel well. The height of the car will make a difference. The stiffness of the coil springs could affect how much the body can move around. Disc brakes will make the wheels set out a bit more than drum brakes. There will be differences from side-to-side, let alone car-to-car.

My car sits about an inch higher than stock, I think that brings the lower fender fender edge a little closer to the tire. Since the spot that sometimes rubs on my car is to the rear of the tire, when I got it aligned I told the guy not to add any positive caster to it because it would move my tire even closer to the fender. So I have 7 degrees of negative caster.

I don't know how you can know for sure if they will work without actually trying them on and maybe making some adjustments.