Old 09-23-2010, 11:32 PM

Default 61-62 Tempest Floor Pans, What will work?

Can anyone tell me what is out there in the reproduction sheet metal world that would be a fairly close floor pan I could us in a 1962 Tempest? I don't think anyone makes these right? In the past I know you can use something maybe even from another brand that can be made to fit and look better from the underside than a flat piece of sheet metal. I was thinking about cars like the Chevy Corvair or maybe a 64 GTO or something like that. Any idea's or known pieces that will work? I don't need a perfect fit, just close enough to start the process.
Thanks!

Old 09-24-2010, 12:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Are you retaining the stock drivetrain? If so, the floor pan is much different than most early cars due to no transmission hump in the front. There are lots of parts cars around. Best bet is finding a donor car. I know Steve Barcak in Maricopa az has several 61-62's in his yard. He may have a decent floor pan. steve@pontiacheaven.org

PS!!!! Welcome to the PY Boards!!!!!

POCI.org
Old 09-24-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanickeith View Post
Are you retaining the stock drivetrain? If so, the floor pan is much different than most early cars due to no transmission hump in the front. There are lots of parts cars around. Best bet is finding a donor car. I know Steve Barcak in Maricopa az has several 61-62's in his yard. He may have a decent floor pan. steve@pontiacheaven.org

PS!!!! Welcome to the PY Boards!!!!!
Thanks for the welcome.

I am going back stock so a donor would be nice. I will check with Steve. I don't need the tunnel area or the rockers for thsi car. The floor pan rust is contained to the places where your feet go and the water would stand. I was hoping to find new sheet metal that is somewhat preformed that I can adapt. Who is a manufacture or dealer of floor pans that I could call and have them put a tape measure on some pans in stock and see if I can make them work. I can make some as I was a welder for 5 years and have some sheetmetal and machine shop training and tools but time is money so a pre-made floor pan with the strengthening ribs already in place would save me time.

Thanks for the reply. Anyone else have any ideas?

Randy

Old 09-24-2010, 05:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You won't find a stock floor pan, or anything close, outside of salvage

Old 09-25-2010, 01:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This yard also has 7-8 or so 61-62's in it. Most still have floor pans. www.dvap.com

POCI.org
Old 09-28-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
This yard also has 7-8 or so 61-62's in it. Most still have floor pans. www.dvap.com
Thanks for the link. I went there and looked and they are only showing one 1961 Tempest on their site and no other 61 or 62's. Do they have more not listed? They have two 1963's listed. I filled out the online parts request form. I have not heard back from them or the Steve mentioned in an earlier post. I wonder why businesses offer email and online parts & price request but rarely reply back?

I started on building my own pans this past weekend. My first piece will be the passenger side rear foot area. Good news is the unibody frame rail is in great shape. I will try to post more info and pics as I go.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Randy, They have the cars. Just not listed on the site. Been there many times & know what part of the yard they are in. Dont know why nobody has answered back.

POCI.org
Old 09-29-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Randy, They have the cars. Just not listed on the site. Been there many times & know what part of the yard they are in. Dont know why nobody has answered back.
I did get a email back today saying they have my parts request and it may take up to a week to get a reply. At least I know they have my request now.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad Randy View Post
I did get a email back today saying they have my parts request and it may take up to a week to get a reply. At least I know they have my request now.
floor pan request is one that goes to the bottom of the seller's list.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:28 PM

Dvap has them. I promise you that. Be ready to spend if you want it though. $75 or something like that to use their torch to cut parts off.