Old 10-03-2010, 04:51 PM

Default shifter cable question help!

ok i just got the trans in the car and i bought a cable off my friend and installed it and it goes through the gears fine but its not going in park ive been reading about the park pawl and im nervous it worked fine before. it moved through the gears by hand no problem could it be a routing prob or what? thanks guys

Old 10-03-2010, 09:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdiggler View Post
ok i just got the trans in the car and i bought a cable off my friend and installed it and it goes through the gears fine but its not going in park ive been reading about the park pawl and im nervous it worked fine before. it moved through the gears by hand no problem could it be a routing prob or what? thanks guys
A little more info would help. What trans did you get..car??....Did you compare the one you bought with the one you had? Length ect...there really is only one way to route a console mounted cable, why did you get a new cable?

Old 10-04-2010, 09:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Put the car in park when you install the cable assuming there is an adjustment on it.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

theres three things needed to adjust in order to get the shift cable installed right.

NSS on the column
shift lever pin on the trans
backdrive linkage

all three impact each other, if one is way off you'll never get the other two to work right. two sections of the manual cover this, the trans and electrical sections, with the electrical section for the NSS.

in a nutshell this is it -
adjust backdrive to obtain "full" park.
(with cable detatched from trans) put shifter in N, place trans selector in N, attach cable to pin on trans selector.

that being said, if you dont have the right cable ( too short ) you'll never get it to work right, also, without the correct trans shift lever, youre doing # 1 into the wind or up a rope....

Old 10-04-2010, 07:50 PM

Default right on!

i think i have thanks a lot guys!