Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-18-2010, 07:15 PM

Default Something bad happened

Ran the car down the road a few minutes ago and something let loose. Lost all oil and the is a hole in the oil pan right behind the crank pulley with something sticking out small. I dont think its a rod as it still seemed to be hitting on all cylinders when I shut it off and nothing was banging. Less than a year on the build and probably less than 200 miles. Ideas on what happened. I hope the builder stands behind this.

Last edited by sisco; 10-18-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Broke the snout off the crank. Does the front pulley have a funny wobble to it?

White '67 LeMans 407/TH350/Ford 3.89... RIP
Red '67 LeMans. 407/TH400/Ford 3.25
Old 10-18-2010, 07:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Harmonic dampener was not torqued to 160 lb/ft. Rattled loose around the keyway. Check for loose dampener. Likely broke the dampener and threw a piece at the pan at speed...

I have two broken dampeners and they are the mirror image of each other...

Just a guess

Land of Lakes Muscle Car Classic
Facebook Event
Facebook Wall (Kurt Smith,Minneapolis)
Old 10-18-2010, 07:36 PM

I hate to be stupid but will I be able to grab the pulley and feel play in it without firing up engine as I have no oil in it

Old 10-18-2010, 07:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You should be able to look at the pulley where the oil seal is on the front cover. Inspect that oil seal. If it is chewed up, you likely destroyed your dampener which led to your oil pan failure. Remember, this is only one of MANY possible scenarios.

It's easiest to check from under the car looking up at the bottom of the timing cover for the front oil seal. This should be fairly evident if it is the case. Were you to have a broken dampener and you were to remove the bolt from the crank that holds it on, the dampener snout would be in two pieces. Again, this may not be the case, but this is an easy, non-invasive thing to check before going further.

Land of Lakes Muscle Car Classic
Facebook Event
Facebook Wall (Kurt Smith,Minneapolis)
Old 10-18-2010, 08:34 PM

pulled 1 and 2 plug and rotated motor still have a piston moving in both. The seal and all looks good in the front. I manage to get a small frament loose from the pan and its tapered like a connecting rod cap. But why would they stiil be rotating if the cap broke?. Im pulling the engine in the morning. I dont want to tamper with it much as its suppose to still be under warranty.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisco
Lost all oil
Lost all the oil?

Or just lose the oil pressure?

Only way you'd completely lose oil pressure would be if the cam stopped turning the distributor and thus stopped turning the OP driveshaft,-or- one of the engine's oil passages is dropping all the oil pressure out somewhere,thus effectively killing the oiling systems ability to maintain said oil pressure (major internal oil hemorrhaging).

So keep that in mind.

If this were a balancer failure,said failure would have had to also broken the timing chain to kill the oil pressure as described.

And if the timing chain broke,it would'nt run for even a second after that happening.

So I doubt that's the problem.

It could've spit the OP driveshaft outta it,but that's just a WAG without more info to go on.

If your saying it lost all the oil,that would still be kinda weird,but who knows...

FWIW.

Bret P.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Last edited by screamingchief; 10-18-2010 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Typo,doh.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:00 PM

Heard a faint very faint metallic clank sound all was still running good but seeing smoke underneath the car and looked at gauge and it was at zero so I shut it down right away. Oil strown down the road. Crawled underneath to see a hole in the pan. If I still drank Id drink one now.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow, still running with a hole in the pan? Balancer still tight? I'd love to know what exited stage right. Right offhand I cant think of what would fly out and it would still run on all 8. It's gonna be a rod cap from another cylinder, or the oil pump shaft, or the balancer/crank snout.

Call the builder before doing anything.

White '67 LeMans 407/TH350/Ford 3.89... RIP
Red '67 LeMans. 407/TH400/Ford 3.25
Old 10-18-2010, 09:20 PM

I probably wont sleep anyway so Im going to go out to the garage and pull it tonight.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:57 PM

Oil pump drive shaft? Maybe drop the pan first?

Old 10-19-2010, 01:55 AM
Senior Chief

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Maybe a bolt from one of the main caps came loose and tangled with the crank journal??

Old 10-19-2010, 08:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

1. Cracked Balancer is a gem of a possibility, but not this time huh.
2. oh, but how about the Cam-Bolt letting-go & letting the Fuel Pump eccentric.
6. Call the Engine builder and ask him/her.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:14 AM

Sisco, No kidding something bad happened. What a bummer. It could happen to any of us. Don't despair just make the repair is what I always say. It could be anything. Onliest way to find out is to take it out and take it back to Mr. Builder.
Meanwhile, we're all intrigued: Will Mr. Builder stand behind his work or will he blame the owner? What was that sound? What was that piece of shrapnel that tore a new **&*#$%! in his oilpan? Find out in the next episode of, "Something bad happened!"

Old 10-19-2010, 11:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Could it be something as simple (if a hole in the pan is simple) as the fuel pump arm breaking and getting shoved through the pan? This was a problem that showed up as a hole at the front of the pan with oil on the road and a lot of smoke but the engine was still "running".

Old 10-19-2010, 11:24 AM

Did anyone drop anything into the engine? A stray bolt will do it and the engine will be fine.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:54 PM

Default Update/something bad happened

Got the motor out. Looks like on number 3 cylinder the solid lifter came apart fell through to the oil pan a the crank hit it and knocked a hole. WTF. Im not sure how much damage was done because of oil loss. I guess Ill keep my fingers crossed and take it back to the builder

Old 10-19-2010, 02:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Were you beatin' it loud, or cruisin'? my money is going on the loose bolt theory...

Old 10-19-2010, 02:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftyarmstrong View Post
Sisco, No kidding something bad happened. What a bummer. It could happen to any of us. Don't despair just make the repair is what I always say. It could be anything. Onliest way to find out is to take it out and take it back to Mr. Builder.
Meanwhile, we're all intrigued: Will Mr. Builder stand behind his work or will he blame the owner? What was that sound? What was that piece of shrapnel that tore a new **&*#$%! in his oilpan? Find out in the next episode of, "Something bad happened!"
LOL, You have a lot of stuff break, don't you?
Thats hot rodding for you.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

well if you shut it right down. probably a pan, a lifter, and a pushrod. Hopefully everything came straight down and didn't bounce up off the crank first. shouldn't be too expensive even if he doesn't cover it. good luck