Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 11-13-2010, 12:16 AM
Suspended

Default How much do you have invested in your heads?

Inquiring minds want to know. Or anyone else that is happy with the cylinder heads on their engines? Cost vs. performance is what I'm asking everyone.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

Getting ready to have Gaby at Wilson Manifolds do a set of Tiger heads for me. Ya don't wanna know, but to be competitive against the others in the class.

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

Just have to give up a few extras. Like food, clothes, electric, water, heat, A/C. LOL.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:39 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ported for flow #'s with gasket matching intake manifold is easy and cheap. Work done to heads and intake for a combo with correct CSA's is where you spend the money. I just did a set like that. Worked on them for 6 weeks. If I were to charge him, it would have been 2000$ plus easy. Performance coming soon. After doing these I will say the high end pros deserve the money they get.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:58 AM
Suspended

blaktopr, That is very true. I just finished a pair of iron heads, with complete intake manifold and did what needed to be done for proper port to header alinement/placement. You know that took more time than what most would pay for!
I should add, since this thread is to be an accurate $ for performance cost/gain thread, I charged the guy $500 for the head work and $400 for the intake and header work. Engine wasn't a Pontiac, but a sb mopar. I am trying to talk him into a dyno session on the chassis dyno since he has done that before the work. Car isn't a dragcar, but a stockcar.

Last edited by goquick; 11-13-2010 at 01:11 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:38 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by goquick View Post
Inquiring minds want to know. Or anyone else that is happy with the cylinder heads on their engines? Cost vs. performance is what I'm asking everyone.
Twenty-five years ago I paid Mickey $1,000 for my pair of hemi heads (bare). No real porting- I used the mill to true-up and match intake port-entry shapes. Happy with them? Definitely! Cost vs. performance? Not bad- if you ignore what the total engine package investment added up to! (e.g.- try acquiring old-style hemi rocker arms that will perform day-in/day-out to 9,000 RPM).

[I realize this isn't the sort of main-stream example you're looking for- I just wanted to add some variety...]

Old 11-13-2010, 04:20 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to JKrull66

Heck just give it all to them... and Hope for the best! Good luck! Cubic Dollars for the best. My 1st gen Eheads have been through the ringer. But am pumped on getting the car back together and enjoying that permagrin! People wonder why I don't have a lighter guy drive or go to more races. Its all about that rush for me. Good luck and give her H*ll!!!

63 Lemans in the 9's race
66 GTO HT Cruiser
06 Triumph Rocket III TURBO! 2300 CC Bad boy
KTM 525 Dirt Terrorizer
POLARIS 900 RZR
10 GMC SLT Duramax Haul anything anywhere
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...app_2392950137
Old 11-13-2010, 09:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

I am very very happy with the performance gains I got for the investment in my E-heads from SD Performance. Straight off SD permance website.

Edelbrock 340-350 cfm Std. Pushrod Location Street/Strip Race Heads
NEW!! Edelbrock head package up to 340cfm on a 4.185" bore and up to 350cfm on a 4.250" or larger bore @ .700" lift. The heads feature 2.200" intake valves for stock block combo's, 2.250" intake valves for larger bore aftermarket block combo's and high flowing tuliped 1.740" exhaust valves. The exhaust port CNC program is borrowed from our wide port Edelbrock package. These heads on a 10.6 to 1 498ci engine (400 block 4.195" bore 4.5" stroke) on 92 octane produced 700hp @ 6200rpm and 647b/ft of torque @ 4900 rpm with a very street friendly hyd. roller camshaft topped with a port matched Victor with our CNC machined plenum. On a 541ci 10.8 to 1 pump gas engine with one of our custom solid roller cams these heads and matching CNC ported and hand finished Victor intake produced 784.3hp @ 6700rpm and 687.5 lb/ft of torque @ 5400 rpm
Here's a link to one of customers on track testing http://www.sdperformance.com/custome....php?carID=161

Prices start at $1347.50 each for a flat tappet/hyd. roller package and are a great choice for your big inch street/strip or bracket race build allowing the use of std. valvetrain components.

72cc$1347.50 each US Funds
87cc$1397.50 each US Funds (with SD exclusive CNC machined improved chamber design)

Old 11-13-2010, 12:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Why does it really matter? It is his car. He made the choices he did to get where he is.

I would say he has done very well and went with top quality parts and workmanship and has not pinched a penny.

Only those who pinch pennies, like myself, really ask what is it going to cost. But i know I can't run at this level, so I don't ask.

If this is the case, you should not be asking and going with a CNC set up like SD offers or an out of the box combo, someone's used set up or port them yourself.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On my street car a purchase of SD 290cfm KRE heads along with a cam picked by Dave picked my car up to this point 12mph.Expensive yes but worth every penny.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:57 PM
Boost Engineer

Just remember that 90% of what you read on the internet 'Chat Boards' is about 10% of what
the "Pro" actually doing the work will actually tell you.

When you contract with the guy to do a "First Class Job" you WILL pay for every hour of THAT "instruction".

That is where the man makes his money.

Tom Vaught

ps It is not what Slowbird has INVESTED in his heads, it is "what are you willing to spend for YOUR heads?"

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

I agree with what Tom posted.

And I'll add there is a point of diminished returns as well.

If you're looking for every last HP it will cost you.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Brian has the fastest pumpgas Pontiac powered car I know of. Unless you are offering to pay for some of it, why is it your issue Byron? If you go faster with another head how much are you going to spend? When you do it, let us know to the penny. You detract from the cvs and Jim Sammons with every post you make. I know you are friends but take a different route.

1972 Maverick under slow construction

Last edited by mysticmissle; 11-13-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Get over it, this stuff was brought up on PZ 2 years ago. Gach saying he had 6000$ in port work and all that.
We know that Dans port is not cheap, like thats a bad thing. Sure he had the intake cut in half and all that but good for him (sb)
I am sure he does not have the 6K in the work but whats the point.
Trying to bring down a guy because he is doing good and what he had done works.
He did it his way, thats fine and all that.
Just never been into the "as cast" stuff.
That stuff is fine for the guys who want to buy some parts out of Jegs or Summit, put it together and think they have something. It falls into the who cares way of doing things.
I am happy to pay someone like Dan, SDF ,Whittmore ore someone else to "bless" my heads.
As cast blows. Its like buying a crate, as cast BBC engine and throwing it in your GTO and thinking you have something.
These people, SD, Dan, KRE, AP,BOP,ACE, Butler and any of the other die hard Pontiac people (some of whom I forgot to mention) who put it on line to bring us new parts and services are the ones who matter.
Give me R&D, attention to detail experience and hard work anytime.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

These people, SD, Dan, KRE, AP,BOP,ACE, Butler and any of the other die hard Pontiac people (some of whom I forgot to mention) who put it on line to bring us new parts and services are the ones who matter.
Give me R&D, attention to detail experience and hard work anytime.[/QUOTE]
you NEED to include Jim Sammons in this group as well. he has a great product. he just needs to be his own mouth piece. In my opinion ofcourse.....

1972 Maverick under slow construction

Last edited by mysticmissle; 11-13-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OK mystic Jim too.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One buys what they buy for their OWN reasons. If it gets them the results THEY wanted and THEY are satisfied is all that matters.

As cast or ported does NOT matter EITHER as long as the RESULT is what the buyer wanted.

IT IS NO ONES DAMN BUSINESS WHO WHY OR WHAT SOMEONE ELSE USES.

Dont worry, if someone is dissatisfied, we will hear about it. And there is nothing wrong with volunteering your results with the product or sevice YOU actually bought and tested.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWilkie View Post

As cast or ported does NOT matter EITHER as long as the RESULT is what the buyer wanted.
Thats the key phrase of the topic about everything in the car.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have no idea how much money Brian has in his heads, but I hope it cost as much as the performance his engine has displayed, a good head porter should be compensated fairly for the effort put forward. Most people don't realize the amount of time it takes to produce higher end cylinder heads.

We have hours of hand finishing in our CNC heads, each one is flow tested at least once. If the results aren't achieved, the heads go back to the bench for additional grinding or valve work. It's the little details that make the difference.

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance
708-250-7420

Old 11-13-2010, 08:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmissle View Post
You detract from the cvs and Jim Sammons with every post you make. I know you are friends but take a different route.
X2! Couldn't agree more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmissle View Post
you NEED to include Jim Sammons in this group as well. he has a great product. he just needs to be his own mouth piece. In my opinion ofcourse.....
X2! Couldn't agree more!

Making CVWHAT's great again. I guess it took a deplorable ECM member to do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Cox View Post
Holly cow we must be some dume corn huskers here in indiana or somthing!!!

Fastest Blow-thru Pontiac powered car in the Country 8.440@166.97 (3465lbs)

Fastest Pontiac CV-1 car on the planet with only 6 passes on the combo: 4.80@147.65/ 7.49@180.12MPH (3365lbs)
Old 11-13-2010, 09:40 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWilkie View Post
One buys what they buy for their OWN reasons. If it gets them the results THEY wanted and THEY are satisfied is all that matters.

IT IS NO ONES DAMN BUSINESS WHO WHY OR WHAT SOMEONE ELSE USES.

Dont worry, if someone is dissatisfied, we will hear about it. And there is nothing wrong with volunteering your results with the product or sevice YOU actually bought and tested.
x3

Quote: "IT IS NO ONES DAMN BUSINESS WHO WHY OR WHAT SOMEONE ELSE USES."

That is a true statement Bruce, but you leave yourself open to compliments and cheap shots anytime you get on one of these boards.

At the end of the day it all comes down to money. How you spend your money, etc.
You spend more money you get access to maybe a "better" Head Porter. Maybe Not too.

Most really good head porters are really good for a reason and as was said should be paid for their work.

I personally think Jim Sammons is trying to do an outstanding job every day on his heads.

JMO

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.