THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile M*A*S*H (2013)

There been some talk about a new M*A*S*H TV show with new actors of course.

1. What war should it be in and why?

2. What did you like best about the original M*A*S*H TV show and could it be reproduced?

Darrah for President!!!

LOL
Old 11-23-2010, 10:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A new MASH ?!?!? Hey Hollywood the writers strike is long over.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hot lips of course. I still watch the original when I see it while channel surfing.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 11-23-2010, 11:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bad idea. The reason I think it worked so well with the Korean War was because there was no personal vendetta involved like their was with WW-II. Can't do it with WW-II for that reason, and forget about adapting the same premise of the show to a Vietnam setting...too many sore memories. Why can't Hollywood just leave the masterpieces alonme? This is like reproducing a Rembrandt or a Monet with Crayola Crayons.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Baker View Post
Bad idea. The reason I think it worked so well with the Korean War was because there was no personal vendetta involved like their was with WW-II. Can't do it with WW-II for that reason, and forget about adapting the same premise of the show to a Vietnam setting...too many sore memories. Why can't Hollywood just leave the masterpieces alonme? This is like reproducing a Rembrandt or a Monet with Crayola Crayons.
Thats basically what they said about the movie, it turned out great and as well the TV show.

It could be done on the first Iraq/-Afgan war.

It wasn't a 'Rembrandt' the first year or so, top '70' so they say.

The show always had a small budget.

Remember that millions loved the show and they didn't want to see it end. Sure it would be diffrent but if possible, it would have the spirit and soul and sense of the original series.

Darrah for President!!!

LOL
Old 11-23-2010, 11:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Like any other show that lasted very long, it had a cast that had chemistry.

The relationships between BJ and Hawkeye, Frank and Hot Lips, Radar and Col Potter, and the interactions between all of them is what made the show. It was an original show, that's what made it what it was.

If they try to re-make it, it will Fail!

Just like James Gardner made Rockford Files, replace him and you had a one and done series.

IMHO.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Holmberg View Post
Like any other show that lasted very long, it had a cast that had chemistry.

The relationships between BJ and Hawkeye, Frank and Hot Lips, Radar and Col Potter, and the interactions between all of them is what made the show. It was an original show, that's what made it what it was.

If they try to re-make it, it will Fail!

IMHO.
What if the 'magic' is revived?

If you got a cast, not famous tv actors but unknow playwrites and the like, that would be a good starting point. I agree, if the magic wasn't there it would fail. Don't forget, the show, for the first season wasn't even in the top 70.

Names would be changed.

Darrah for President!!!

LOL
Old 11-23-2010, 11:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow, another original idea from the clowns in Hollywood! Typical of the 'cut-and-paste' under-30 generation nowadays. No imagination, no creativity. Just copy what their ancestors did, and take credit for the results.

Wait, let me guess, Hot Lips, or even the character of Hawkeye, will be played by an African-American, and they'll be the 'smart' one of the group. Will Smith as Hawkeye, Beyonce as Hot Lips, and Morgan Freeman as Colonel Potter. The 'dumb guy' of the cast will be a white guy, the character of Frank Burns, who'll be a racist, and probably played by Adam Sadler.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNoun View Post
Wow, another original idea from the clowns in Hollywood! Typical of the 'cut-and-paste' under-30 generation nowadays. No imagination, no creativity. Just copy what their ancestors did, and take credit for the results.

Wait, let me guess, Hot Lips, or even the character of Hawkeye, will be played by an African-American, and they'll be the 'smart' one of the group. Will Smith as Hawkeye, Beyonce as Hot Lips, and Morgan Freeman as Colonel Potter. The 'dumb guy' of the cast will be a white guy, the character of Frank Burns, who'll be a racist, and probably played by Adam Sadler.

Darrah for President!!!

LOL
Old 11-23-2010, 11:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's a list of the movies based on TV shows that those wonderful 30-something cut-and-paste Hollywood geniuses have created in the past few years:

The A-Team
The Addams Family
Alvin and the Chipmunks
The Avengers
Batman
The Beverly Hillbillies
Bewitched
The Brady Bunch
Car 54, Where Are You?
Charlie's Angels
Dragnet
Dudley Do-Right
Dukes of Hazzard
The Flintstones
George of the Jungle
Get Smart
G.I. Joe
The Honeymooners
The Jetsons
Josie and the Pussycats
Leave It to Beaver
Lost in Space
Maverick
McHale's Navy
Miami Vice
Mission: Impossible
The Mod Squad
My Favorite Martian
Rocky and Bullwinkle
Starsky & Hutch
S.W.A.T.
The Wild Wild West
Yogi Bear

Part of the allure of M.A.S.H. was the character created by Alan Alda. He was brilliant in the role of Hawkeye Pierce, and I highly doubt they'll ever get that magic again.

I just hope a new MASH won't be a total embarrassment, like the films and/or remade TV shows listed above.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Hawkeye Pierce, and I highly doubt they'll ever get that magic again.

I just hope a new MASH won't be a total embarrassment, like the films and/or remade TV shows listed above.
I agree.

Darrah for President!!!

LOL
Old 11-24-2010, 12:16 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

According to interviews with Robert Altman the original movie was deliberately somewhat obscure about what war it is and was really a commentary on Vietnam, but when the series was put together it was felt that Vietnam was too hot. Altman was so pissed about the series and the "dumbing down" of his critique of war that he never acknowledged how great the series actually was.

My wife prefers the series while I like the movie more.

-Harry

Old 11-24-2010, 12:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

True Story:

"Harry Potter" name came from Col. Potter and the actor who plays him, (Harry Morgan).

J.K.R. did take some of the Harry Potter story from a kid who did live under the stairs and whose family treated him the same way they Harrys family did.

It was/is being settled out of court and its all hush hush.

Darrah for President!!!

LOL
Old 11-24-2010, 12:44 AM

...the original MASH was copied once...a very short lived series taking place in Viet Nam...can't remember the name, but I remember watching it a time or two until it was cancelled..it tried to be the same show, but it wasn't

...I saw the original MASH movie in the theatre...still a classic...the "Pros from Dover" is still a phrase I use often in the right circumstance

Old 11-24-2010, 12:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The original M*A*S*H movie was a thinly disguised commentary on the craziness of the Vietnam war, and Altman (a radical tree hugging pacifist) tried to portray the American military as an inept group, with a few sane doctors trying to get through the ordeal as best they could. Well, it worked, and the movie was a huge hit.

When they pitched the idea for a weekly TV sitcom, shot on film, the networks were understandably nervous. Who would watch a weekly comedy show about Army doctors stuck in the middle of a war? And comedy in an operating room? How could that be funny?

Well, a stellar cast, excellent scripts, perfect comedic timing, so it worked. Alan Alda was perfect as the sensitive, emotional doctor who just wanted to save lives. A doctor who was drafted, and was now stuck in the middle of a war.

My favorite series of all time! And updated version won't be able to capture lightning in a bottle again. I hope they leave this one alone.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Quote:
Part of the allure of M.A.S.H. was the character created by Alan Alda. He was brilliant in the role of Hawkeye Pierce, and I highly doubt they'll ever get that magic again.
Even by Alan Alda, a tree hugging, anti war liberal.

Great shows are made because they are original.
IMHO, the best comedy on TV today is "Two and a half men". Other than being based on Charlie Sheen, its not a copy of another show or movie. And to be honest, without Jon Cryer's expert setup, and facial expressions the show would have died years ago. Jake, Berta and Evelyn are all perfect. Again, its the chemistry...

Old 11-24-2010, 04:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 DAYTONA View Post
...the original MASH was copied once...a very short lived series taking place in Viet Nam...can't remember the name, but I remember watching it a time or two until it was cancelled..it tried to be the same show, but it wasn't

...I saw the original MASH movie in the theatre...still a classic...the "Pros from Dover" is still a phrase I use often in the right circumstance
Talking about China Beach?
Good show, I used to watch it regularly......when it was time to go, they ended it instead of dragging things out, which was good....Dana Delany is hot! lol.

In China Beach....

In Exit To Eden....

1960 Laurentian 283
1963 Laurentian 283
1976 Trans Am 400
1977 Trans Am 400
1951 Chieftain Flat head 6
1967 Firebird 400 convertible
1967 Firebird 400 coupe
1979 Trans Am 403
1971 Formula 455 (clone)
1969 Firebird 350
1968 Firebird 428 manual.
Sydney, Australia
Old 11-24-2010, 08:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Frank Burns eats worms.

If they remake TJ Hooker, I'm gonna throw my TV away.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:12 AM
Suspended

Location: The Palomino Ranch in Tucson-where the real horsepower lives.

Quote:
How old are you?

Old 11-24-2010, 09:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I say leave well enough alone. A new M.A.S.H. is a bad idea and could never compare to the cast and show as it was.

Like the new Hawaii 5 'O.... IMO it's crap.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.