THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Top Gear also sucks....

When I first saw the ads for Top Gear on the history channel, I was psyched. I had watched some good youtube videos from that show in England and it seemed pretty cool.

Man, it sucks on the history channel. Basically a bunch of ads disguised as content. A canned studio audience... There's just no sincerity to the whole thing. What a disappointment.

Anyone seen it?

Old 12-21-2010, 03:31 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to andyg

You're probably talking about the American version and it is a disappointment. The BBC original series is great.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyg View Post
You're probably talking about the American version and it is a disappointment. The BBC original series is great.
X2
Watching a Caddie get airborn and then break in half was funny.

patrick

Old 12-21-2010, 09:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, I was disappointed too. Its like watching three chimps banging on a fender with a wrench.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think the US version is all right. The first episode was kind of rough, but it's been getting better every week.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I watched the viper verses the zr1 corvete in a 1 mile race. I enjoyed it. I also like the 1 mile race with the 3 different lamborghinis.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:32 AM

Send a message via AIM to Traker82

I saw the episode with the 3 different lamborghinis and I didn't get into it. They were trying to hard and it seemed that the would have been happier in pick-up trucks. If i didn't see the English version first it may have been better. It may be the snobby additude of the English one that sets it apart I am not sure.

I remember when they were looking at a mustang they were making fun of volcanic metal used for the motor and the host was just shaking his head and blurted out, "It's pure RUBBISH".

Old 12-21-2010, 11:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default big star in a small car

What's with the big star in a small car segment? - what a complete bore! Who wants to see a washed up rock star in a suzuki eco-box.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:56 AM

I tivo the BBC versions of Top Gear and watch them all. One of the best automotive shows on tv. It's smart, hilarious and well-informed.

The US version leaves a lot to be desired IMO. I'm not a fan of Tanner Faust or the other 2 guys. We have a drift queen, a Nascar commentator, and another irrelevant guy for the US show. It's too bad they didn't get better presenters for over here with a real studio audience. It could have been great..

Old 12-21-2010, 02:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...light=top+gear

The American show has had a couple of good moments, but they're trying to hard to be an exact copy of the British show. And failing...... I can watch the British show reruns over and over and I've turned the American show off during one episodes premier. The host's aren't even in the same league.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:27 PM

All in all the show is pretty underwhelming. The episode with the Cutlass, Caprice wagon, and Fiero had a few moments. Seeing a Caprice wagon completely filled with water and still able to move, got a chuckle out of that one. But on any given Wednesday night here at the track I can find more amusement.

Maybe if Henry Rollins, Gary Scelzi, and Rambo were the American hosts.....might watch it then.

69 Bird w/1970 400 block(409 cubes) and #64 heads, Dude spec'd hyd. roller, Q-Jet, full original interior, ps, th350, and 3.73 gears. Pump gas, d.o.t. tire, street driven muscle. 3800 lbs. race weight. Best, 11.39 @118+ so far, but always looking for a little more.....
Old 12-21-2010, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

that show flat out sucks, I'll never watch it again!

1968 Lemans. 37,000 original miles. GTO clone. 462ci/KRE 290 heads. UltraDyne 280/288 Solid/850 Qjet by Cliff/Performer RPM/TSP 9.5" in TH400/8.5" 3.42 gears/3950# Race weight/12.58@106 at Bandimere speedway high altitude
Old 12-21-2010, 03:16 PM

Yeah I it is just a borig show, I think they should have gotten a GM guy, a Ford guy and a Mopar guy , hell maybe even a import guy and bullship about cars. They could feature American cars of the past and present.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to poison heart

My only problem is it seems they're anti anything american except they seemed to like that Raptor truck. The yankee guy is the only guy who likes old american iron.

I think it's a big slap in the face to all of them that the "uncontrolable" viper is still the fastest car they've had on their track. A rear wheel drive American made car is faster than all the other foreign cars? That blew me away

1959 Star Chief 4 Dr HT dual quad 389 4 speed
1962 Pontiac Plain Jane Catalina

http://pontiac-59.com/
Old 12-21-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stGen Brawler View Post
All in all the show is pretty underwhelming. The episode with the Cutlass, Caprice wagon, and Fiero had a few moments. Seeing a Caprice wagon completely filled with water and still able to move, got a chuckle out of that one. But on any given Wednesday night here at the track I can find more amusement.

Maybe if Henry Rollins, Gary Scelzi, and Rambo were the American hosts.....might watch it then.

Rollins would be a good choice, he seems nutty enough. Love the original show, but this version is lacking. Different hosts would be a good start.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to 1966goat Send a message via Skype™ to 1966goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison heart View Post
My only problem is it seems they're anti anything american except they seemed to like that Raptor truck. The yankee guy is the only guy who likes old american iron.
I find that very silly. The guys in the UK make a point that no matter how bad some of the British cars are, they are still their favorites. And the British are always better than the Germans. I can't believe on an American car show, they have no American pride and no true love for anything cars.

461ci, Edelbrock 72cc heads, KB 15cc dished pistons, comp xe274, PRW 1.5 roller rockers, Performer RPM intake, Holley 80508 750cfm, RARE oversized manifolds, Pypes X-pipe Exhaust
Old 12-21-2010, 08:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Exactly .

Old 12-21-2010, 08:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stGen Brawler View Post

It was a Buick Roadmaster Wagon.

Most of you won't care, but I didn't like watching them destroy a pretty nice Fiero.

The show had some moments.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Screw a Fiero, they destroyed a nice Cutlass!

Old 12-22-2010, 11:18 AM
Senior Chief

It isn't bad, but it is like comparing the original SNL to the present day SNL. The present SNL is funny at times, but the original was awesome.

May the torque be with you.