Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 02-05-2011, 05:39 PM
Senior Chief

Default When to replace oe headbolts ????

I,m putting on new heads & wonder how long are stock pontiac headbolts good for. I believe my bolts are original. I race it hard. The headgakets look very good coming off so it was sealing very good. Oh it's a 67 gto block. the bolts look good & clean but i'm little worried about stretch. I bought the block from original owner(the idiot put in a dam chevy motor) this the 3rd time putting head on.

Dave

Old Motor: New PB 4-21-11 : 12.460 @ 109.97 1.844 60'
'
Old 02-05-2011, 06:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

These are no shrinking violet bolts. I have been told by two Pontiac engine builders to use them, on stock build, virtually indefinitely.

Land of Lakes Muscle Car Classic
Facebook Event
Facebook Wall (Kurt Smith,Minneapolis)
Old 02-05-2011, 08:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My original PMD fasteners will be used as many times as possible. I have however found a couple original rod bolts that went soft at 35lbs while re-torquing. No idea how they had been treated before i got them. Head bolts and main cap bolts I especially respect. I love all the smaller original engine fasteners. No bling bolts for me. LOL Actually a couple of my motors have a mishmash of bolts but I still like the real ones. Pioneer makes good quality replacement bolts. ARP annoys me greatly but sometimes they are necessary.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:25 PM
Suspended

head bolts and main cap bolts just inspect them carefully and look for any elongation of the threads or bottlenecking I ussually soak them in diesel fuel for a few days to remove the goop and then wipe them down , do Not wire brush them as this will hide any surface cracks from the wires peening the surface over, and check the shank for twisting ( especially near the threaded section and the bolt head , rod bolts , I pitch after 2 stock rebuilds no matter what , and if i was building a race motor with factory rods they go the first time and replace with sps or arps and checked for stretching every overhaul , if any bolt looks supicious I give it the float test , ( float test consists of throw it in a bucket of water and if it floats its ok to use it )

Old 02-06-2011, 01:10 AM

We gave up on head bolts completely and are having excellent results from ARP studs. Do your homework on lube for bolts/studs. We found a 30# spread from old bolts with oil to new studs with lube.