THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Cops Clock Street Racers At 145 MPH Before Spectacular Crash

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/03/...tacular-crash/

1966 GTO

1966 421-9.3-1 comp-Race Tec 23cc Pistons
1966 Tri-Power
1967 670 Heads
Pontiac "Highlift" TriPower Cam by SpeedPro
DUR 214 Int 224 Exh @.050 - 107 ICL
LIFT .445" Int .465" Exh
Tri-Y-Headers by Tribal Tubes w/ Goerlich Mufflers
1966 Muncie Wide Ratio 4-Speed
1968-72 Chevy 12 Bolt Rear End w/ 3.73 rear gears
Old 03-04-2011, 03:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A Neon that can go 145 MPH? Bravo Sierra.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Baker View Post
The SRT-4s (or whatever they're called) are low 14 sec cars

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, the Lancer EVO can certainly do 145. If I told ya how I know, I'd have ta shoot ya.

Besides, they never said which one was clocked at 145.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to andyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455Grandville View Post
The SRT-4s (or whatever they're called) are low 14 sec cars
X2. And they can be much quicker than stock with a mild tune and upping the boost. That engine in a tiny car as a neon can do well over 150 when modded right.

The evo and srt-4's, they are too quick for the majority of idiots that own them.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:21 PM
Senior Chief

theres NO way either of them were going 145 period! and thats typical media BS saying it was a street race, do they or 99 % of the population know what a real street race is? a street race is a 1/4 mile drag race, these 2 clowns were doing what we all see everyday on the highway, young idiots weaving in and out of cars because they did it the night before on their xbox's what sport weaves in and out of cars for miles and miles? nascar!!!!!! so can the media get it right and say they were nascar racing! well never hear that though will we?

Old 03-04-2011, 05:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

According to Allpar.com the SRT-4 had a top speed of 153mph. My nephew has one, they're fast cars.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ah yes, the old "drag racers are evil" tactic used by the media. They sensationalize these types of accidents, and it gives soccer moms a warm fuzzy knowing the police are cracking down on "hot rodders".

And in the time it took them to write that news story, 20 more people were killed by drunk drivers.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by afx421 View Post
theres NO way either of them were going 145 period! and thats typical media BS saying it was a street race, do they or 99 % of the population know what a real street race is? a street race is a 1/4 mile drag race, these 2 clowns were doing what we all see everyday on the highway, young idiots weaving in and out of cars because they did it the night before on their xbox's what sport weaves in and out of cars for miles and miles? nascar!!!!!! so can the media get it right and say they were nascar racing! well never hear that though will we?
"Street racing" is when two cars are racing on a street. Period.

2015 Challenger R/T Plus, hemi, Sublime
Old 03-04-2011, 06:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1.21 jiga watts.

Darrah for President!!!

LOL
Old 03-04-2011, 06:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Baker View Post
Brian, if you ever see Phil Upton ask him how fast those Neons are.
There is one I see up at Lebanon Valley that drives in, changes his front tires then clicks off 11.teens- then drives home again.

Seriously though, I'm sure they weren't "drag racing", just driving like idiots.

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 03-04-2011, 10:07 PM
Senior Chief

Default Neons safe?

Those neons are death traps. This happened several years ago.My brother in law was a principal in a High School near Zanesville Ohio.That the morning he had just talked to the owner of the modded out neon for driving recklessly in the school parking lot. He rememberd the boy wearing a very distinctive plaid shirt. Right after school he got a call that there was a terrible accident leaving the school ,the roads are very curvy so he got in his car and rushed to find a neon had crashed and exploded into a blazing inferno, there were 3 or 4 boys in the car,the fire department arrived & they got the fire out.So my brother in law went over and looked in the car and the only thing you could see was the chared remains of the boys, then he looked closely and saw the same plaid shirt that he had noticed earlier that day in his office & his heart sank..This was a horrible thing to see, the gas tank ruptured and the boys were roasted alive.He told me that it was one of the most difficult situations that he has ever had to deal with.These cars are poorly designed and dangerous maybe they will go 150MPH but i wouldn't go that fast in that car. Its probably not safe at 100mph.However when you are young you think you are invincible & do studid things. Mark

Old 03-05-2011, 12:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You know why they call them Neons? When you drive them, you have a knee on the door and a knee on the dash.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I remember when they first came out Chrysler decided to offer them with around 140 HP for a sportier feel since many other econo cars were around 100-120 hp.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:27 AM
Senior Chief

More drag strips, I say. Instead of closing them down for noise complaints or to build shopping malls, put up some incentives for investors to open MORE! Young boys and men are going to race their cars, period.

Atlanta Motor Speedway has been, for about 5 years, running Friday Night Drags. Hundreds of cars show up from June to Sept every Friday night to run in a dozen or more classes. It's all heads-up, hand-start, about 1/8-mile (a tick less) and waaaayyy too much fun. Ask me how I know!

It's all for trophy and points. The season winners are presented before the Labor Day NASCAR race. The cool thing is they run it on pit road and there is a car show every week, too. All show entrants get to drive two laps around the 1.53-mile quad-oval even!!!!! I've been around twice, waaaayyy cool!

Who knows, if these two would have had a track close by or if they would have still be stupid and run on the street anyway.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatless View Post
Brian, if you ever see Phil Upton ask him how fast those Neons are.
There is one I see up at Lebanon Valley that drives in, changes his front tires then clicks off 11.teens- then drives home again.

Seriously though, I'm sure they weren't "drag racing", just driving like idiots.
A coworker has a mid 90's Lexus with a hot rodded Supra engine in it. It's been 10.50 @ 140 MPH with a race gas tune up...on pump gas it runs low 11's at 127-128 MPH.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by afx421 View Post
NASCAR ??!!....give me a brake...they only turn left. It is what it is.....poor judgement which leads to "street racing"...it a location....not a sanctioned event !!!! It's pure and simple dumd a$$ behavior. Such a waste of lives.. NACAR,NHRA,IHRA,Can-Am,etc.-----are done on a track..

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 03-05-2011, 01:11 PM
Senior Chief

Most of the guys I know started out "real" street racing on the street. We raced 1/4 or 1/8, not this stupid fast and furious type stuff. We raced at determined locations and were organized. Would I suggest it to anyone, no but thats how we used to grudge race. Of course no one does it anymore but alot of "heads up" drag racers where born on the street. What these kids did was just plain stupid, and the media makes drag racing look bad by portraying these senseless acts as such.