Old 04-11-2011, 07:20 AM

Default 71 GTO blower motor removal

Hi guys,

My blower motor (71 GTO) is now chirping like it has a bird in it. I purchased a new blower and was looking at removing the old one last night. It is located under the inner fender. My old Chiltons manual says to cut an access hole in the inner fender where marked, is the correct?
My inner fenders have been painted there is no marking for where or how big a hole to cut. Other than removing the inner fender it appears to be the only way to gain access to the blower motor.

The final question would be.......Should I have to cut a hole on the inner fender for access do most people make a patch for the hole?

Just need someone to confirm,
Thanks!!!

Hot Rods & Horsepower.......A diease for which there is no cure.

71 GTO, 463, SD 295 d-port heads, 10.75:1, RPM intake, 502hp/560tq @ the crank, 200r4, 10" Continental convertor, Bullet 234/244 cam, Cliff's Q-Jet, 3:42's w/Eaton True Trac, 5 Power Tours. New performance numbers coming
Old 04-11-2011, 07:25 AM

OOOOPS........I see this question was answered a couple of threads ago regarding a firebird, and they do mention what a PITA the early 70's A-bodies are as well.

71 GTO, 463, SD 295 d-port heads, 10.75:1, RPM intake, 502hp/560tq @ the crank, 200r4, 10" Continental convertor, Bullet 234/244 cam, Cliff's Q-Jet, 3:42's w/Eaton True Trac, 5 Power Tours. New performance numbers coming
Old 04-11-2011, 10:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

it's really not that hard a job.....

about a dozen bolts, some wrestling with the inner fender, and you're in business.

it DOES get hard if you dont remove the wheel and let the suspension go to full droop.

it gets downright dog kicking frustrating if the cage nuts strip/spin that hold the rear lower fender to the body. ask me how i know that one, LOL....

Old 04-11-2011, 09:38 PM

Rolling Money Pits,

Are you saying just remove the inner fender? I need to look but didn't think I could remove the inner fender without removing the outer fender. I hate to remove the outer fender as it has been freshly painted last fall and don't want to scratch it up.

Thanks!!

Old 04-12-2011, 01:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, you can just remove the inner fender.... although I usually remove the fender bolts under the rocker panel (behind the wheel) so I can pull the fender away from the wheel well somewhat to make it easier to remove.

You do run the risk of scratching up the paint on the inner wheel well... You might be able to tape it off to prevent scratches - but if the paint is very nice, the risk is there.

If you search the archives - there's a post where I took some pics of the process - it took me about 20 minutes to pull the wheel well, but as the other poster said - remove the tire and let the suspension come down to make it easier.

Don't cut the wheel well, please!

Old 04-12-2011, 10:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 Goatman View Post
Rolling Money Pits,

Are you saying just remove the inner fender? I need to look but didn't think I could remove the inner fender without removing the outer fender. I hate to remove the outer fender as it has been freshly painted last fall and don't want to scratch it up.

Thanks!!
yep....
it comes out after you've taken all the bolts out. the killer one is what i mentioned prior, if the cage nut breaks, you're in for some quality time with a grinder or dremel.

there is a "trick" to getting it out, it doesnt just "come out". IIRC you have to pop it off the out fender lip - where the wheel well molding is - then rotate it towards the rear of the car, meaning the rearward part of the inner fender goes towards the ground. i little persuasion here and there and out she comes.

GM had a plate specifically for doing blower motor job w/o taking the inner fender out, I assume for labor time. I think i've only ever seen one on a car. there's a photo of it along with a part # in the service manual.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:50 PM

Thanks I will give a go this weekend!!

Old 04-15-2011, 06:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As money pit said, there is a specific procedure to push and pull the inner fender out. I believe it is detailed in the service manual. I just wanted to emphasize that it makes it a lot easier if you follow the procedure. Tape lower fender with layers of blue painter's tape. I only drop the inner as much as necessary.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

and yet another bump for an update.

did it come out with little fuss, or did you end up cussing like a sailor due to busted and rusted bolts and nuts?

Old 05-28-2011, 06:04 PM
Senior Chief

Talking 71 GTO blower removal

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=665262

Try this!

Old 05-28-2011, 10:02 PM

Haven't tried yet, have the blower motor been working on other more important items to get ready for the Hot Rod Power Tour, 5th year, anyone going? I am meeting up with the tour in Nashville.