THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default My Chevy HHR Rental.......

I went to a wedding a few weeks ago and when the valet gave me my truck back it had a new dent in the passenger rear door. The valet company admitted fault and picked it up yesterday to have repairs done. At the same time they dropped off an HHR rental car. 6800 miles and it already smells like a cross between perfume, a turd and pot. Stains in both front seats. Carpet, while nicely vacuumed, is amazingly dirty looking. This is a car that I don't fit. I'm 6 feet tall and I am nearly comfortable with the seat pushed all the way back. In that position when I turn to look out the drivers window I'm greeted with the B pillar instead. The B pillar is amazingly wide and matches the amazingly thick A pillar nicely. The interior finish is great, if you like hard, rough grained plastic. Everywhere. The ride seems nice and the engine is nicely muted (unless you actually need to accelerate...). In the 100 or so miles I've been in it I've noticed a few other HHR's running around....strangely, they all had handicapped tags affixed to the back.

The A/C is world class. The cruise control is very accurate. The instant fuel economy read-out is fun and seems a great way to have a wreck.

Hurry with the truck guys.......

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

P.O.S! my brother had one a guy rearended him at a light and it crunched like it was nothing. Totaled the car!

1968 lemans :In progress!
1970 Bonneville 455 HO convertible (survivor)sold
1969 firebird
Old 07-19-2011, 02:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

LOL
David, beat on it. Every chance you get. It WILL make you feel better...trust me...

Old 07-19-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T A 70 View Post
LOL
David, beat on it. Every chance you get. It WILL make you feel better...trust me...
Isn't that what you do with rentals/loaners?

A government is a body of people, usually, notably ungoverned-shepherd brook in firefly

join the PY group on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...8742503&ref=ts

become a fan of PY on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...9458653?ref=ts
Old 07-19-2011, 02:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Im getting claustrophobic thinking about small cars and wouldnt own any of those crash traps. LOL
As far as hard plastic i know what you mean as my 2010 Ford F-150 XL is nothing but hard plastic. But then again its a Company truck and thats the way it was purchased.

Last edited by bigunde; 07-19-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierced mikey View Post
Isn't that what you do with rentals/loaners?
And your parents cars...it's a ritual!

Old 07-19-2011, 02:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, rented one in Maui. The power curve reminded me of an old YZ Yamaha.
No power at takeoff, midrange it was "on the pipe".

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"
Old 07-19-2011, 03:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We have an HHR as a delivery vehicle at the parts stores I work at part time, it's like driving a oversized go-kart

I have alot of fun it it

Custom Roller Cam, 1.52 Roller Rockers
Quadrajet done by Cliff
3:42 gears

12.075 @ 112.70
12.092 @ 112.43
12.128 @ 111.71

Old 07-19-2011, 03:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This HHR is missing the "on the pipe" feature. Years ago I owned a YZ250 and it was like a light switch.....if you weren't on the pipe it just blubbered but hang on when it hit the power band.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In the past I have made insurance companys put me in a similar car to the one I owned.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Carole (Rustie) had one for a rental one time and that thing sucked! It felt like you were driving in a flight simulator because your vision was so obstructed! the interior was cheap and cheesy and bland. Worse than a PT Cruiser!

Old 07-19-2011, 04:57 PM
Senior Chief

Bought my daughter one for her 16th Birthday. It's the LT model...turn the traction control off and will spin the tires! It's fun to drive and good on gas. Although I am not a huge fan of it...it's ok. The LT model with the leather is a lot nicer than the base model...it has 6 disc changer w/factory sub. The reason we bought this is it has 10 airbags and has a great safety rating...good on gas...28-30mpg...and of course it's what she wanted!

Last edited by Tanksta; 07-19-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
I went to a wedding a few weeks ago and when the valet gave me my truck back it had a new dent in the passenger rear door. The valet company admitted fault and picked it up yesterday to have repairs done. At the same time they dropped off an HHR rental car. 6800 miles and it already smells like a cross between perfume, a turd and pot. Stains in both front seats. Carpet, while nicely vacuumed, is amazingly dirty looking. This is a car that I don't fit. I'm 6 feet tall and I am nearly comfortable with the seat pushed all the way back. In that position when I turn to look out the drivers window I'm greeted with the B pillar instead. The B pillar is amazingly wide and matches the amazingly thick A pillar nicely. The interior finish is great, if you like hard, rough grained plastic. Everywhere. The ride seems nice and the engine is nicely muted (unless you actually need to accelerate...). In the 100 or so miles I've been in it I've noticed a few other HHR's running around....strangely, they all had handicapped tags affixed to the back.

The A/C is world class. The cruise control is very accurate. The instant fuel economy read-out is fun and seems a great way to have a wreck.

Hurry with the truck guys.......
The roof is chopped, gotta look down and up at the lights at intersection. Huge A pillar blocks some visibility. easy to get in and out of for handicapped folks, has the 2.4 echo tek, good engine. AC is sweet, Interior is like a Pontiac Solstice, hard plastic, and shares the Solstice engine. I know guys with them with many miles and they are reliable.
With a choice, Ill take the Nissan Rouge..
The HHR isnt a bad rig though..shouldnt hurt the GM reputation any .

Old 07-19-2011, 05:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanksta View Post
Bought my daughter one for her 16th Birthday. It's the LT model...turn the traction control off and will spin the tires! It's fun to drive and good on gas. Although I am not a huge fan of it...it's ok. The LT model with the leather is a lot nicer than the base model...it has 6 disc changer w/factory sub. The reason we bought this is it has 10 airbags and has a great safety rating...good on gas...28-30mpg...and of course it's what she wanted!

taking off the traction control ( unless it bad weather) will improve your mileage FYI
it uses speed wheel sensors and engages when the car goes around corners as one wheel spins more than the other. just an fyi.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have an HHR for my company vehicle. For what I do (outside sales rep for ACD/MTC warehouse distributor) it works real well. Day in/day out it gets 30 MPG which includes 70+ MPH on the highway and driving around in towns from contacting the new car dealers, fleets and independent repair shops I work with. Straight highway driving I've hit 36 MPG frequently.

I haven't experienced the visibility problems that have been mentioned. But I'm not even close to 6' tall, so maybe that makes a difference.

My next oil change will be at 100,000 miles. So far, besides gas, tires and oil the only repairs have been:

1. Replaced the driver's door handle that broke off in my hand ($55.00 repair done by myself with a kit from Dorman).

2. New front struts and alignment when we put a new set of tires on at 92,000 miles. The struts weren't really worn out, but preventative maintenance because of the new tires and alignment.

Back in 2002, I had the misfortune of driving a PT Cruiser for about 2 weeks (company vehicle for a previous employer) - now that thing was a REAL POS. My 2000 AWD GMC Jimmy got better fuel economy that the PT Cruiser - and was a whole lot more comfortable. My old company was always replacing brakes on those Cruisers. They ultimately replaced the Cruisers with HHR's and were much happier with the ride/handling/performance and reliability.

Still not a vehicle that I would buy for myself.

If I were in the market today, I would go with either a Chevy Equinox or a GMC Terrain. Our current DD is a 2006 Pontiac Torrent that we have had great luck with. Only have 78,000 miles on it, so it'll be a few years before we consider a replacement.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I got one for a rental as an "upgrade" from a compact. Not a bad car. Plus it only cost me $35 to rent it for a whole weekend in Portland OR.

1968 GTO 4-spd convertible, console, factory gauges, hidden headlights, 3.90:1 posi, AM/FM radio.

1962 Catalina convertible, Starlight black w maroon interior & white top.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had HHR's for rentals before, I thought they were all right. The big A pillar is a pretty common thing on many new cars these days, a lot of them are that way.

I've put quite a few miles on PT Cruisers as well, both as rentals and in cars owned by family members (my brother was a Chrysler engineer and worked on that car. Styling is subjective, but as far as function goes I think they're good little cars. By the way, I'm 6'1" and I fit fine in both cars.

My understanding is the same guy who was the lead stylist for the PT Cruiser was hired by Chevrolet, where he did the HHR.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
My understanding is the same guy who was the lead stylist for the PT Cruiser was hired by Chevrolet, where he did the HHR.
Not saying that it wasn't the same designer, but the HHR (High Heritage Roof) was designed to look like the 1949 Suburban...

Seems to be that other than the overall size - the styling is pretty close to the original.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I work for a car rental place and the HHR is a BIG improvement over the PT Loser.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

[QUOTE=The Champ;4370085]Not saying that it wasn't the same designer, but the HHR (High Heritage Roof) was designed to look like the 1949 Suburban...

Seems to be that other than the overall size - the styling is pretty close to the original.

[QUOTE]

I'd say the styling is pretty close to the PT Cruiser...

2015 Challenger R/T Plus, hemi, Sublime