THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to *67firebird*
Default my first layoff!

Well, i've been working in the new Kaiser Hospital in Fontana, CA. as an Apprentice Inside Wireman for about a year and i got laid off yesterday.

My first layoff, but I am excited about it.
I requested vacation from the hall, and I wont be looking for a job until the beginning of October. There are about 30 apprentices on the book so 3 or 4 weeks is about the time I get back from my vacation. Perfect Timing.

With that said I have plenty of time to do whatever I want. Like working on my car. Finally.

I can finally install my new :

Gas Tank, need to get Sump welded on...
Gas Lines
Robb Pump
Master Cylinder
alternator relocation
(and if i can find a good deal)
Manual steering!

Thanks for the layoff! haha... i can get to my hobbies and drive my Bird again.

Sucks that I wont be making money, but I really needed the time off to get to my firebird and my home project...removing popcorn ceiling.

At least unemployment will help... a little.

Ozzy.
Newly Unemployed...

Performer RPM-850DP
Auburn- 3.55 gear
CC HR custom grind
Old 09-10-2011, 12:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I am getting laid off too at the end of September. I am ok with it as well. They will be hiring us back in a couple of months when the project gets funded again. Just like you I am going to finish my 67 Firebird and do stuff around the house.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:59 AM

My next door neighbor does metal projects thru a Carpenters union hall. Many years, he would get laid off for a couple of months during the summer, draw his unemployment, and was very happy. Three years past, he worked nine months, still happy. Last year, he worked 4 months. This year, less than three months at the beginning of the year. His shop is empty, no work in sight. Was a $32.00 an hour job, plus union benefits.
Now, he is worried.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:30 AM
Senior Chief

I got laid off four years ago...first time ever. Four years later and at least 100 job applications later still no full time work, i work a couple of part time jobs and do automotive repair on the side in my own garage to make ends meet. Might be an age thing...i just turned 55. I guess i'm going to have to see if wally world needs anymore store greeters?

I hope it works out for you and you can find a new job fast, this is not a fun position to be in.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

many times ive wished i could get laid off just to get a break.
only need about a year income ,,then i could retire till i retire officially in 9 years

Old 09-10-2011, 01:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho447 View Post
I got laid off four years ago...first time ever. Four years later and at least 100 job applications later still no full time work, i work a couple of part time jobs and do automotive repair on the side in my own garage to make ends meet. Might be an age thing...i just turned 55. I guess i'm going to have to see if wally world needs anymore store greeters?

I hope it works out for you and you can find a new job fast, this is not a fun position to be in.
It scared me at first, but there is nothing I can do so I am not going to worry myself sick. I can make it on unemployment for a while; I will just have to cut a few ends. The good thing about having a Class A license and a good driving record is I can get a job pretty easy. It may not be a job I love, but it will pay the bills.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nov 2009 was my 1st layoff.

What a relief. And been healthier, happier, and Consulting since. enjoy the degrees of freedom. HIS

Old 09-11-2011, 11:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to *67firebird*

Yea, i'm not too upset. Im just glad i paid off 90% of all my bills so unemployment will cover everything.All i have to pay is the mortgage and wife's ring. I guess i better stay busy and keep away from the tv advertisements..

Thanks,
Ozzy.

Performer RPM-850DP
Auburn- 3.55 gear
CC HR custom grind
Old 09-12-2011, 11:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My wife was laid off 2 years ago and her unemployment benefite ran out and we ended up homeless because my wages are not as much as they used to be either. Hope this won't happen to you.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:18 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've been out on workers comp for the past year. I got injured at work and was told i was gonna get surgery but the workers comp dr bullsh*tted around. So now they don't want to do the surgery.I have a job dr tells me to find something else lighter to do I can't perorm my old job cause of the heavy lifting and damaged nerves in my neck. I have told the lawyer I want a second opinion and sceduled for another appt with a neck and back surgeon on the 22nd. Its nice being off and getting stuff done but some days it gets old and if your as productive person as me I hate sitting around doing nothing. The only good thing i got out of not working and being home is that I got the spend the last year of my mothers life with her as she battled cancer and passed away in may. I hope you enjoy your time off and get done what you want to get done. Its also a good time to spend with the family!! Jason

1968 lemans :In progress!
1970 Bonneville 455 HO convertible (survivor)sold
1969 firebird