Old 10-21-2011, 02:43 PM

Default Rear head bolt

On a Ventura with the pontiac 350 and A/C, how do you get to the bottom rear head bolt on the passenger side to torque it with the engine in the car. I was able to get the head off with the engine in the car, but I don't think I will be able to put it back in and torque it properly.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

it's hard, but you can do it. short socket and possibly a short extension and the torque wrench

400 .060 Eagle Rods
Old 10-21-2011, 08:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Take motor mounts off and drop engine with hoist. Couple extra inches gained.

Old 10-22-2011, 02:48 AM
Suspended

Default ALSO

Also just as easy to leave the motor mount loose on that side & lift it up with your cherry picker with the left side just left loose, that way the motor rolls up & to the right as you look at it and it will be very easy to torque it. You don't have to lift it much just an inch or two & it will be there high enough to get to. then just let it back down & install the bolt in the motor mount & your done.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:47 AM

I was hoping I wouldn't have to use an engine hoist to do this, but I figured I may have to when I couldn't pull the rear bolt out without removing the head because the A/C suitcase was in the way.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:47 PM

I finally got some time to torque the passenger head down and I managed to do it without my cherry picker. For those of you running into the same problem, I unbolted the motor from the frame mounts (one bolt on each side), the I placed a 2x4 on my jack spread the load and jacked the passenger side of the motor up until it rolled a little to the drivers side. Some people may cringe about doing it this way but I was careful and no damage was done. I then was able to torque the rear bolt by putting a 3/8 reducer with a short 9/16 socket on my 1/2" drive torque wrench. If I used the factory bolts instead of the ARP I could have eliminated the reducer and had a little more room since the factory bolts had 3/4" heads.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:47 PM
Suspended

Default head bolt

I don't want to be a downer but I hope you took into accout for the reducer & extension when you torqued the head bolt. Because of the difference of force that is needed to & the amount it reduces the torque factor you should have gone at least 7 to 10 pound feet more to correct for the loss of torque when useing an extension & or adapter. You loose about 7% when you use anything added to your socket and more if the extension is over 6" in length. I would hate you to blow a head gasket after all the extra work you had to do.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:37 AM

That is a good point. I did consider it, but didn't know a formula for calculating the difference so I just added a few extra lb ft. I just used the small adapter and the small 9/16 socket. It was a shorter package than using a deep socket.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:07 PM
Suspended

Default head bolt

It's been a very long time as my auto shop teacher taught us the formula as how to figure it but it's been a LONGGGG!!!!! time ago , but if you added a few extra lbs. when you did it you should be ok. When we learned it he was hard on us & never wanted us to use anything when we would torque anything because it would give a faluse reading.