Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 01-22-2012, 06:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Questions: Do I need to ceramic coating on 1967 HO exhaust Manifolds from R.A.R.E.

I plan on buying the R.A.R.E. HO exhaust manifolds to run with a 2.5 or 3" exhaust system with x pipe.
Do I need the ceramic coating as they only warranty it for three years?
Do I just paint with High Temp Paint?
Do I leave just bare?
Should I purchase entire exhaust from our host?
Approximately 400 HP tripower engine- do you recommend 2.5" or 3" exhaust.
What system?
Who has the best price?
Thanks
Mark

Old 01-22-2012, 07:38 PM
Suspended

I would compare ceramic coating prices and warrenty among several service providers.
Swain, Callico and Dart are three companies that also do Automotive coatings.

take a moment and check out the Society of Automotive Engineers web site. They have highly technical papers available on that and other subjects, available for down loading. They also have vendors that provide these coating services, some may be local to you.

Also almost any university library has a full set of volumes on this and other SAE related topics, there are like 24 volumes printed by SAE. Local public library's and community college libraries can do inter library loans to get you which ever one you want.

?Do you want an out side coating for visual appeal or an internal one that provides thermal barriers?

If you do an outside coating you ought to consider an internal thermal barrier coating as well as it will make the outer coating look nice longer

Old 01-22-2012, 08:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had a pair of cast iron manifolds done by HPC about 8 years ago....still look great.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:33 PM

Do you need ceramic coating?

Certainly not, there are products out there that will keep your manifolds looking good for a fraction of the cost.

It all depends on how much you want to spend.

This set was coated with POR-15 Manifold Grey. These pics were taken after 5 years and 30K miles, they still look pretty good.

A 2-1/2" exhaust will be plenty for a 400 HP engine. PYPES sells some pretty nice exhaust systems, buy them through Summit Racing for the best price and for the cheapest shipping costs.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default manifolds

I got those manifolds on the T/A Love them to death over headers. Got the 3 in. we just used header paint on them had them on the car now for over 5 years still looking good. little trick i have been doing with high temp paint is after a few hours i put them in the over at about 350 for a few hours. seems to really help cure the paint.
Thought about cermic coating them at the time but didnt have anyone local to do it. Didnt feel like paying shipping for 2 slugs of cast iron.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I wish I could run the 3" ones on my motor...I hate headers! Eric

Old 01-23-2012, 06:33 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks guys for your comments. I was not sure if the ceramic coating was money well spent, or not. I prefer not to spend the extra cash. The POR-15 idea I like a lot. I have used POR-15 on frames of trailers and such and it is great stuff. I did not know they had a manifold paint.
I will price out Summitt.
I also need brake lines, fuel lines and emergency cables.
Keep the comments and opinions coming.
Thanks
Mark

Old 01-23-2012, 12:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had RARE coat mine and it rusted off in a couple of years before I even got the car running.

I'm now using 2000 deg paint and primer. I have only had it on one season so far but its holding up.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks Rohrt,
That is quite a testimonial. That is exactly my fear when a company lists a 3 year warranty. To me a ceramic coating that costs 1/2 again more should last a lifetime.
I would be very disappointed to have your experience.
I just want them to look nice for many years. This will be a driver to enjoy and I don't want to be disappointed in having them not look good a few years from now.
I think to finish them myself is likely the best way to go.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They looked good when I first got them. I had high hopes for the ceramic coating. I have not seen any of the jet hot coating do very well around here. Even though I don't drive in the winter the rust still gets them.

By the time I got the car on the road I was using phosphic acid to remove the rust. I end up just taking them to get bead blasted and hot tanked.

I need to add a picture of the manifolds with the KBS manifold grey.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Rohrt,
R.A.R.E. wants $199.00 to ceramic coat their manifolds. If you have experienced that the coating doesn't last- what is the point. I can't believe that everyone that has had this done isn't extremely disappointed.
I appreciate your input, I never would have known otherwise.
RARE's warranty is 3 years- have you talked with them about it?
Even if you did, I am sure they would just recoat them, just to have them last only another 3 years.
I think I will do the POR-15 manifold paint.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

B-man,
I appreciate the photos and the advice. I will be going with a 2.5" system.
I was going to go with the larger oversized HO manifolds from RARE.
How do I connect the HO manifolds to the exhaust system. I noticed in your photos it looks like you have a custom flange adapted.
Where do I get the flange that connects to the oversized HO manifolds?
Thanks all for your input.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i4abuygto View Post
B-man,
I appreciate the photos and the advice. I will be going with a 2.5" system.
I was going to go with the larger oversized HO manifolds from RARE.
How do I connect the HO manifolds to the exhaust system. I noticed in your photos it looks like you have a custom flange adapted.
Where do I get the flange that connects to the oversized HO manifolds?
Thanks all for your input.
I made the connecting pipes in the pictures myself (those manifolds and pipes were sold here in the classifieds a couple of years ago), but now they are readily available in the 2-1/2" size from PYPES.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:32 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I was researching- seems the headpipes with the HO flanges run $120.00 or so for the two pipes to connect, is that about right?

Old 01-24-2012, 12:46 AM

Sounds about right.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
Do you need ceramic coating?

Certainly not, there are products out there that will keep your manifolds looking good for a fraction of the cost.

It all depends on how much you want to spend.

This set was coated with POR-15 Manifold Grey. These pics were taken after 5 years and 30K miles, they still look pretty good.

A 2-1/2" exhaust will be plenty for a 400 HP engine. PYPES sells some pretty nice exhaust systems, buy them through Summit Racing for the best price and for the cheapest shipping costs.

Nice to know B-man. I used that on my manifolds this time and they look really good after about 20 or so heat cycles. I'm impressed. If I remember correctly, about $18 a can.

Charles

Old 01-24-2012, 03:10 PM
Senior Chief

I've also had good results with POR-15 manifold paint. To cure the paint before installing I baked them in my BBQ. Worked great and no smoking manifolds when I broke in the motor.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I did NOT do that and I had no smoking at all.

Kinda surprised me.