Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:19 PM

Default PY Tri power Review

Have not found one Review of the PY Tri Power Kit. Figured it was time. This was installed on a 66 389. 39k original miles. Was pulled apart checked and re assembled using new bearings, oil pump, gaskets, timing chain and a summit 2801 cam. Everything looked good out of the boxes. Had to heli coil one air filter mount for the stud as it looked like the carb supplier started to and forgot. Kit was almost complete but had to pick up a power brake booster fitting. The vacuum T fell apart when I went to put a vacuum line on it. Not a major deal. Picked one up locally. Made sure timing was close and cranked engine to get oil pressure and fuel up to the carb. Hooked power to the distributor and it fired right up and fast idled. For Cam break-in let it run for 30 min at 2k never missed a beat. Shut it down. Was done for the night. Next morning pumped it twice. Hit the key and fired right up. Let it warm up a bit until choke was open. Checked points, timing and started adjusting the idle and mixture screws. Set idle to 750. Cam does not like having no stall in the convertor. In gear pulls down to 500. Sounds great. Starts right up. All in all very happy but will be several weeks before I get to drive it. Can't wait.

http://youtu.be/GEwoUfQFz6I

2007 HD FLHT.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:12 PM

Well looks like I have a little bug to work out. Seems the accelerator pump(center carb) doesn't want to work on a consistant basis. Hesitates bad when attempting to accelerate. If you get into the front and rear their pumps will take over and stop the stumble. Every 5th-8th take off the pump works and runs great. Have tried adjusting the rod but looks like the top is coming off. Either the pump diaphram is rolled or incorrect. Will see later today. Just got the lawn mowed...

2007 HD FLHT.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:08 PM

Alrighty... Nothing major but annoying. After raising the low float level I thought I had it fixed. Easy to tell. Bowl full.. No accelerator pump. So Off came the carb. Pulled top again. Pulled the booster and check balls. Found some crud under the accererator pump fill check ball. Cleaned it out. Blew out the circut. Checked the jets while I was there. Seems a lil left crud got missed by the builder. Put it pack together and good strong stream. set the mixture screws at 2 turns out. Fired it up. Let it warm up. Set the idle down. Rechecked base timing. Added another turn to the mixture screws. Running great. Not much to these things but amazing how a lil crud can affect things. Very docile running around on just the center carb. Comes alive as the front and rear open. Nothing like a "stock" 389 tri power for all around performance and gawk factor. I expect many miles of trouble free service.

2007 HD FLHT.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds great. Glad to hear it's working great too. I've often wondered how good these tri power units from PY are. Someday I'll have a tripower setup but it won't be for awhile.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:29 AM

I was amazed there are no reviews of the aftermarket tri power's anywhere I could find. I mean there's really not much to them. As long as the front and rear carbs seal at idle all you have to deal with is the center carb. A rochester 2 barrel is about as reliable thing there is. PY said they sell many of them. No review is a good review as far as I'm concerned as you rarely hear from happy people but upset ones let everybody know. I at no point contacted PY while figuring out this little problem but would have if needed. I guess that's the problem with being a mechanic. I need to know why before anyone else. lol Of course then it was fixed. Honest enough mistake I figure. Now I have a running drivable car that I have to finish stripping for body and paint. ugh... Get it running to let it sit.... Gonna try and have it in primer before the pontiac nats in Tulsa.

2007 HD FLHT.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:04 AM

Went for a longer test drive yesterday. My opinion.. Feels and drives like a stock vehicle. Idles smooth. Of idle transition good. I believe I have the linkage set for the front and rear. No bog when front and rear come in. Hard pull to redline. Have the kick down set right (th350) Will break the tires loose on 2-1 kick down. Have no regrets and look forward to miles of cruizin!! Quite honestly it's a copy of a box stock 66 389 tri power and behaves exactly the way it should.

2007 HD FLHT.

Last edited by facn8me; 04-25-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:01 AM
Senior Chief

Based on your review, I bought the same setup! Car is still in the shop getting sheetmetal and bodywork done, so it will be a couple more months before I get to drive it, but I'm glad that it has worked for you. My setup will be on a 455 with Alum. D-Port heads and a mild cam.
Any new thoughts/experiences to share, now that you've had 10 months or so with the setup??

Old 01-16-2013, 05:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Sounds great. Glad to hear it's working great too. I've often wondered how good these tri power units from PY are. Someday I'll have a tripower setup but it won't be for awhile.
Yeah, I may get one setup one of these days too... ;)

Old 01-16-2013, 08:09 PM
Suspended

This makes me want to clean mine up and get it together.