Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 08-05-2012, 12:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Is 925hp-1025hp possible?

Here is my questions? Are those power numbers possible with a NON OFFSET shaft rocker,a NON offset lifter, NO SPECIAL ORDER RING PACK? Basically NO! ZERO! ZIP! ZILCH! NADA! Special order parts I have my reasons for this and I could flood this thread with example after example of why I don't want to rely on a so called quote of time it takes to get a part!I'm also looking for opinions on what flow #'s it would take to achieve the range of horsepower I'm looking for. And would it be possible for peak #'s to be achieved around .800 lift ,I wish you guys would quit posting flow numbers above .850 because REALLY id say 95% of the guys on this board could really care less due to the fact NONE of those 95% of people will ever EVER run over .850 lift,I WILL NOT run much more than that for lift period! I put somewhere between 225-325 passes on a motor during a season and I don't want to replace valve springs until the end of the season.I DID NOT ASK FOR OPINIONS on MANUFACTURER OF CYLINDER HEADS!Also i would like to use stainless valves.Im looking to build another 535 if I can finally get a block after waiting 5 months! Also I'm looking to make peak power around 6900-7200rpm.....IS THIS POSSIBLE?BASICALLY USING "off the shelf parts"?I ONLY WANT TO USE off the shelf parts due to the fact that I've been burned way waaaaaaay to much by unrealistic/quotes delivery times.......it does not matter to me what trans I'm using and what the weight of my car is. I want to make horsepower in that range using a Pontiac motor.Once I get/if I can get all my parts together before September I can get to a dyno and start to establish what parts I need to make that combo work for S/ST racing..........and if this is possible and IF this happens who would be interested in the combo.......because YES I would spill my guts to how I did it so you all wouldn't have to go through as much chit as I have to get stuff together for my new motor.And is there a vendor out there that has a racer that races almost every weekend in mind? That can get parts to that guy when they need them instead of ONLY making sure they have parts before Norwalk.Is there such a place?

“It’s the process it takes to get to goals that sets us apart, the execution on every single play, one play,one life”
Notre Dame Head Coach Marcus Freeman

69 GTO NHRA Super Street Car
2860lbs 10.82@159.91 in Joliet May 2024 ….157.56 MPH in Gainesville in March ‘23

Last edited by S/st 54; 08-05-2012 at 12:33 AM.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ballpark formula we use is 2.4HP for each CFM,So a 400CFM head has the potential to make 960HP ,So is there a Traditional Pontiac head that will flow 400CFM at .850 with the Intake manifold attached and use no offset lifters or shaft rockers? .Bill C.

http://www.checkeredflagmachine.net/
Old 08-05-2012, 12:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/st 54 View Post
Here is my questions? Are those power numbers possible with a NON OFFSET shaft rocker,a NON offset lifter, NO SPECIAL ORDER RING PACK? Basically NO! ZERO! ZIP! ZILCH! NADA! Special order parts I have my reasons for this and I could flood this thread with example after example of why I don't want to rely on a so called quote of time it takes to get a part!I'm also looking for opinions on what flow #'s it would take to achieve the range of horsepower I'm looking for. And would it be possible for peak #'s to be achieved around .800 lift ,I wish you guys would quit posting flow numbers above .850 because REALLY id say 95% of the guys on this board could really care less due to the fact NONE of those 95% of people will ever EVER run over .850 lift,I WILL NOT run much more than that for lift period! I put somewhere between 225-325 passes on a motor during a season and I don't want to replace valve springs until the end of the season.I DID NOT ASK FOR OPINIONS on MANUFACTURER OF CYLINDER HEADS!Also i would like to use stainless valves.Im looking to build another 535 if I can finally get a block after waiting 5 months! Also I'm looking to make peak power around 6900-7200rpm.....IS THIS POSSIBLE?BASICALLY USING "off the shelf parts"?I ONLY WANT TO USE off the shelf parts due to the fact that I've been burned way waaaaaaay to much by unrealistic/quotes delivery times.......it does not matter to me what trans I'm using and what the weight of my car is. I want to make horsepower in that range using a Pontiac motor.Once I get/if I can get all my parts together before September I can get to a dyno and start to establish what parts I need to make that combo work for S/ST racing..........and if this is possible and IF this happens who would be interested in the combo.......because YES I would spill my guts to how I did it so you all wouldn't have to go through as much chit as I have to get stuff together for my new motor.And is there a vendor out there that has a racer that races almost every weekend in mind? That can get parts to that guy when they need them instead of ONLY making sure they have parts before Norwalk.Is there such a place?

Don't you already have a 450cfm head on your engine? I may be thinking about someone else, so sorry if it's not you. If it is you, it sounds like you already have the parts to do it.

Spotts Built 484" IA2, Highports, EFI Northwind
Terminator X sequential EFI fabrication and suspension by
https://www.funkhouserracecars.com/
Old 08-05-2012, 01:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by R 70 Judge View Post
Don't you already have a 450cfm head on your engine? I may be thinking about someone else, so sorry if it's not you. If it is you, it sounds like you already have the parts to do it.
They are 408@.800 I freakin wish I had a set of 450 heads but then again everyone runs the bench up to 1.00 to show flow numbers.And fwiw mine flow 420@.900

“It’s the process it takes to get to goals that sets us apart, the execution on every single play, one play,one life”

2860lbs 10.82@159.91 in Joliet May 2024 ….157.56 MPH in Gainesville in March ‘23

Last edited by S/st 54; 08-05-2012 at 01:28 AM.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfmcnc View Post
Ballpark formula we use is 2.4HP for each CFM,So a 400CFM head has the potential to make 960HP ,So is there a Traditional Pontiac head that will flow 400CFM at .850 with the Intake manifold attached and use no offset lifters or shaft rockers? .Bill C.
Than Bill C! 2.2-2.4 was the ball park I had in mind too. As for traditional/non traditional Pontiac head flow through the intake w single four?.......I'm not a expert on that so I can't answer that.And everything in the Pontiac world seems to take a very long time to get. I'm just looking to get better MPH in S/ST and that's the #'s I pulled out of my ya know Once again I do not want this to go to a head war! I'm looking for answers that's why I asked the question.I can't be the only guy out there that wondered this question.And I'm not changing my throttle stop tune so please guys dont ask.

Old 08-05-2012, 01:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

BBC or BBF.
On a side not besides a block what are you having to wait on? We never seem to have issues getting custom parts. Crank (if custom) & block take the longest everything else is a week or two.

Old 08-05-2012, 01:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This would also be a n/a combo. I have come to learn that in the Pontiac community the guys that go low at the 1 maybe 2 races they attend a year are well catered to.Instead of the guys that run respectable times every single weekend.......I'm cool with that ya gotta have your 9 guys that showcase the products. That's why I'm looking for the no special parts motor questions for a quicker realistic turn around between rebuilds.That way nothing would be holding up the rebuild except for shipping.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
BBC or BBF.
On a side not besides a block what are you having to wait on? We never seem to have issues getting custom parts. Crank (if custom) & block take the longest everything else is a week or two.
You have soooooo much better luck than I do then. Maybe I should start drinking the water where your from. LOL.Waiting on the .043 .043 3mm ring pack. Apparently they weren't the right ones when they were recieved.....that's why I wish the standard ring pack wouldve been ordered for my pistons.
If I throw this stuff together and it goes 875hp then so be it I just want to set the goal and at least try for it.Regaurdless of what horsepower this motor is I'll just knock it in the dirt once the outside temp gets to 90.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What do u consider "special parts"?
There was a HP headed s/st engine/car at Norwalk running 156mph in 3600ft. Nothing special about it unless shaft rockers & lifers with offset pushrod cups are special to you. Go with the Warp6 heads no offset anything & makes big power.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
You have soooooo much better luck than I do then. Maybe I should start drinking the water where your from. LOL.Waiting on the .043 .043 3mm ring pack. Apparently they weren't the right ones when they were recieved.....that's why I wish the standard ring pack wouldve been ordered for my pistons.
If I throw this stuff together and it goes 875hp then so be it I just want to set the goal and at least try for it.Regaurdless of what horsepower this motor is I'll just knock it in the dirt once the outside temp gets to 90.
Got my rings from Total Seal in a little over a week, pistons took a little over 3 and thats because they had a machine go down that backed things up.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

with a edlebrock,wensler,Kauffman hp.....NO. tiger doubt it...i'd say NO. cv1 not yet, possible but I doubt it Does the new port count? warp hell ya.
Based on your limitations. X2 on the 2.4 hp per cfm but a lot will not achieve those results for various reasons.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
There was a HP headed s/st engine/car at Norwalk running 156mph in 3600ft. Nothing special about it unless shaft rockers & lifers with offset pushrod cups are special to you. Go with the Warp6 heads no offset anything & makes big power.
Pm sent

Old 08-06-2012, 08:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
And the converter is a little off in that car. Its only been to the race track twice since getting of the pump. I think that pump may be a tic stingy IMHO.

7.940@170.84. 3460#s
Old 08-06-2012, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Jason,

You will not make 900+ HP using off the shelf parts and keeping the RPMs down where you run your engine, not with a Pontiac.

The rings took a week to get, had I measured them when the UPS driver put them in my hand it would have saved a couple of weeks.

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance
708-250-7420

Old 08-06-2012, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65nss4spdGTO View Post
Jason,

You will not make 900+ HP using off the shelf parts and keeping the RPMs down where you run your engine, not with a Pontiac.

The rings took a week to get, had I measured them when the UPS driver put them in my hand it would have saved a couple of weeks.

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance
708-250-7420
You are right. Thanks for doing that. It also reminded me that it is deffinately not possible with a out of the box carb. Or a off the shelf camshaft both would deffinately be custom pieces....I stand corrected

Old 08-06-2012, 11:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I recently asked the same question for my S/ST car. If you build that kind of HP, your going to spend a lot of $ and I'm afraid you'll end up working on it a lot. It pains me to say it but I just sold my 505 for that reason and bought a 565/1043 hp BBC. Still love my Pontiacs but it just wasnt practical.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Jason, my old combo was nothing really special. Scat crank, std cam core .800 lift, "380" cfm head, off set lifters, standard offset shafts from T&D that has to made anyway, nothing fancy 1050 that been played around with. 10.90 @ 146. My junk is just a back half car, making about 850 hp. I went 3 seasons and all I did was change valve springs once towards the end of last year before a wrist pin broke and ruined my day. How much faster do you want to go in that Chassis car

Old 08-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL Jack View Post
And the converter is a little off in that car. Its only been to the race track twice since getting of the pump. I think that pump may be a tic stingy IMHO.
we took the bars off and the car hooked good on Sunday, converter only flashed to 6000, so yea I would say the converter is off just a little .

Old 08-06-2012, 12:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
What is your goal and kind of car.

I think low 9's in a 3350 lb door car is possible without a offset rockers. Do the math? 900hp? 340 cfm std rocker E heads.
If I ever get my car out it is a 535 with 340 cfm Open Chamber E-heads. 10.8-1 compression. We might see. 280/288 cam stock suspension. Then just factor in more compression.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lynn's RAV heads with BES should get er dun.

For what you are asking/wanting it is a phone call and a check book just like it would be for any brand. Set your goals make the call write the check.