Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:36 PM
Senior Chief

Default PYPES EXHAUST 67 bird convert.

Ordered a new 2.5 inch x pipe Pypes exhaust system for my 67 Firebird convert. a few months ago. I spent much time trying to make fit and it just is not possible, there is not enough clearance in the driveshaft tunnel for this type of system and everytime I drive it it is rattling on the floor. I am to the point where I do not even want to drive it anymore. Also on the convertibles they have a crossbrace support that doesnt even come close to fitting with the spacer kit the salesperson told me to get. I was told by the Pypes salesperson this system along with the spacer kit would work on my car and what a joke it is. I called Pypes and they told me to send pictures which I did, but after 2 days no response. I am at the point where I want to throw this exhaust in the garbage can and take it to a muffler shop to have it done right.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:16 AM
Administrator

We got together with the Pypes Tech who helped test this system when it first came out 8 years ago. The pictures you sent are just about unusable. All you did was take closeup pictures of the area where the pipes are hitting. That doesn't allow us to see any perspective on how the system was installed. However, in the one picture we think we can see that the X-pipe appears to be 3-4" too far back in the tunnel. If this is the case, the entire system will fit poorly. If you installed the downpipes first and then added the X-pipe to those downpipes, that would cause this situation. It's a common mistake and it is fairly easily fixable. If you could take a few more pictures from further away so we can see more of the system as it relates to the body and frame of the car, we can confirm and offer a solution. We need to see the underbody and the rear section of the system in two separate pictures.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't get discouraged, the first gen f-body is a very difficult system to install. My thoughts as I read your issue was the same as Chris's, X too far back. The convert issue adds a little more fuel to that fire. Having installed five such systems I can tell you the system probably isn't the problem, the first one we did took a day and a half! As we install more and figure them out, we get quicker on each system. We can do an A-body in less than two hours without breaking a sweat.

One thing is for sure... you aren't going to "get it done right" at most muffler shops! LOL

My site... needs updated-
www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!
Old 10-14-2012, 06:07 PM
Senior Chief

I get frustatrated with aftermarket parts. I guess part of my frustration was no prompt response, sorry for the post will try moving the xpipe forwad more.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:13 PM
Administrator

No problem. but our concern is that you shortened the X-pipe at the back end where it inserts to the over-the-axle pipes. That's why we wanted to see the pics of the entire system.