Old 12-09-2012, 09:27 PM

Default '69 Grand Prix cluster removal

I need to pull the cluster out of my 69. Can it be done without removing the dash? Fuel gauge isn't working, and it drives me crazy. From standing on my head with a light, looks like the printed circuit may be rough.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:32 PM

In a word no. You may get it out but putting it back in is about impossible due to bolt placement. Pull the dash and be done with it.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 12-10-2012, 05:32 PM

Default Reply to wbulick76

Hi,
Mike is right, remove the dash is the only way to remove the cluster.
I hate to bring up this question, are you sure it's the fuel gauge itself that is not working? Have the elimated all the usual suspects such as a bad ground at the tank? (usualy leaves the gauge in the full position) or the sending unit in the tank itself? where the float sinks to the bottom of the tank and (usualy leaves the gauge in the empty position). I had pontiacs for 30 years and it was never the gauge. Just some food for thought! Good luck.
Dan

Old 12-10-2012, 07:30 PM

Well, the whole cluster is dead. No lights, indicators etc. I pulled the duct work out and managed to get my hand up to it and found the cluster to be unplugged. I plugged it back up and regained some functions, but you can feel some of the "fingers" on the printed circuit sticking out where the plug goes in.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbulick76 View Post
Well, the whole cluster is dead. No lights, indicators etc. I pulled the duct work out and managed to get my hand up to it and found the cluster to be unplugged. I plugged it back up and regained some functions, but you can feel some of the "fingers" on the printed circuit sticking out where the plug goes in.
Unplug the cluster and bend those terminals on the printed circuit back in then reconnect the connector.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:10 AM

Just an update-
Pulled the dash over the weekend, and I am glad I did. Found several other issues besides the gauge troubles. Printed circuit is destroyed from a previous dash removal. Heater cable unhooked, cigarette lighter unhooked, console harness unhooked. Blower motor switch on a/c controls has melted connector. Duct work loose. Just need to buy some Rally gauges while I have it apart...