Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:55 AM
Suspended

Default anything new on Garage heating???

Looking for some more heat in my garage, anything new on the marketplace??? Using propane getting scared of it with cars in the garage. Love to use electric, no natural gas in garage

Last edited by 67cruiser; 12-22-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I use a pellet stove, it's a little expensive up front but it works well and cost are about 250 a ton for fuel. I use 1/2 a ton of pellets to heat a 27x24 shop with 11 ft ceiling, it's kept at 50*f when not in shop. temps here are around 34*f today and close to that all winter. mine is the maxx, good for 2700 sq ft

http://www.enviro.com/fireplace-prod...lace.html#Maxx

Old 12-23-2012, 08:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a good oil burner forced hot air 100,000btu. Been looking online for ways to run it on waste oil. I have plenty of waste oil from work I could use.

TOM
Old 12-23-2012, 08:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

there was an article in Popular Mechanics many years ago on a home made waste oil heater that didnt smoke. I remember the guy making a nozzle out of an old balljoint.
found it,wow it was 22 yrs ago,still got a little memory left......article 317
http://books.google.com/books?id=PdQ...heater&f=false

Last edited by Cammer-6; 12-23-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I replaced my old, over sized propane hanging furnace with a properly sized Modine Hot Dawg unit that was the "separated combustion" version. I'm quite happy with it, and no issues so far. I have a large outside propane storage tank, so if you are running off of small tanks this may not be feasible.

The separated combustion style has a sealed burner assembly (access door that covers the burner and controls has a gasket seal) and requires a second pipe (or a concentric pipe assembly if you don't want 2 holes through the wall or roof) to bring in fresh air for combustion.

This style is not much more efficient than the regular style, but it is marketed as being safer and has less issues with dust and dirt getting into the burner as the makeup air comes from outside. They are not meant for use where there is a dangerous amount of flammable gases, but are approved for residential and commercial garages and for a typical garage they would be better than a regular furnace that uses room air for combustion. They are also a good idea if you have a very airtight garage, as the unit is not fighting to get combustion air.

These might work for you. A similar separated combustion model is also made by Reznor.

1970 Oshawa built 1 option Judge. 24 year restoration/upgrade project finally finished!

1979 Trans Am - low-buck drag car project for when I retire
Old 12-23-2012, 09:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

get a waste oil heater,be a good reason to change the oil in your car

Old 12-23-2012, 09:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A waste oil heater will use approx. 5 gallons in 8 hours and is no safer than any heater with a firebox so you need a large supply of oil if your going to use the garage for any long periods of time. I built my own and heated a 24x30 garage with a 8 foot outer wall with no insulation and no ceiling for years so they will throw a lot of heat. In a week you'll go through close to 40 gallons of oil in a week using it everyday. The heater can be made from mostly junk metal if your handy at all, drawback is you pretty much need to be vigilant about watching how it's burning and stay close to it. It's not something you start and go to the parts store while it's running. A commercial one is a different story because they have a spray gun and a solid state ignitor that will cycle off and on as the thermostat calls for heat. Most of the homemade ones use a drip feed and have a valve to adjust the flow manually.

I currently use a Vogelzang single barrel wood stove kit to heat my current garage which is 20x30 10 foot walls with no insulation and it will heat it to 70 degrees at 20 degrees outside.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 12-23-2012, 10:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

wall furnace here,run some pipe be done with it.Nat gas.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:38 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

i heat my 2 stall with an electric ceiling mount unit i bought at farm and fleet. i honestly don't notice a difference in my electric bill. all is well insulated. when outside temps in in the 20's, like this week, it'll kick on about every 45 mins for 3-5mins. i keep my garage at 58 degs all winter.
http://www.farmandfleet.com/products...Q#.UNhq_nfYXyI

Old 12-24-2012, 01:43 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripwr1964 View Post
i heat my 2 stall with an electric ceiling mount unit i bought at farm and fleet. i honestly don't notice a difference in my electric bill. all is well insulated. when outside temps in in the 20's, like this week, it'll kick on about every 45 mins for 3-5mins. i keep my garage at 58 degs all winter.
http://www.farmandfleet.com/products...Q#.UNhq_nfYXyI
I installed one 4 years ago works great,my garage is attach to the house so no fumes ,no refill ,no flame danger,my electric company is town owned so the bill is not much more.
2 yrs ago I had a new furnace installed so I zoned the garage.the heater works equal to the zone heater,
one thing I did do was make it so I can rotate it and heat the garage were ever I want. Direct it towards the car for body work etc.

Happy Holidays

Last edited by GTOLIB; 12-24-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:27 PM
Senior Chief

I have a ceiling mounted, vented, nat.gas "hot dog" type and it works well. Probably costs no more to run than most others. My only conplaint is that it is kind of loud. To do it over I would put in in-floor hot water heat, thermostat controlled, very even, totally quiet and out of sight. I know some say that you can use a regular water heater to heat the water but use a boiler designed for in floor heat.
However, after the fact it is not an option.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:26 PM
Suspended

I like the ceiling fan type so far, I have my main heating duct going right thru middle of garage but if i leave the 2 vents open my upstairs bedrooms get very cold.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I run and am very happy with a Rheem classic 90 PLUS down blower
I have it up on wall, only PVC going outside, water condensate through a acid reducer and drains outside, removed the trap on inside of furnace so no freeze ups,or any type of condensate leaks, and its propane , and its just amazing. mine was measured at 93% efficiency. start it at Zero sometimes and its extremely reliable. I have the same one in my house ( updraft)
I have no worries about propane gas, it can be smelled easily.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:07 PM
Suspended

I see 2 models i really like, ceiling mounted and runs off 240 volts, One has 17,100 BTU,s and the other17,500 btu,s for 50.00$ differance will i see a big differance between the 2????

Old 12-30-2012, 05:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cruiser View Post
I see 2 models i really like, ceiling mounted and runs off 240 volts, One has 17,100 BTU,s and the other17,500 btu,s for 50.00$ differance will i see a big differance between the 2????
Hot air rises, even with a downward deflector. Ceiling heaters reheat their own hot air and it gradually works its way down to living space. A down blow furnace is going to be at least 60,000 ( mine is 110,ooo BTU and the operating costs are way less than an electric heater)
An infra red on the ceiling is different, heats objects below, like cashiers at home depot!@

Old 01-01-2013, 12:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to AROWHED

Installed a used 240V mobile home furnace, its about 3' tall and is mounted about a foot below the 11' high ceiling, draws in from the top and blows straight down, spreads heat across the floor while reheating the rising warm air. The pain is it draws around 34A, so thermostat stays at 45 when I'm not out there.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is not new but it wsa what I did when living in IL. Bought at Menards for $450 75000BTU Beacon Morris NG forced air. It pumps waste air/fumes outside through a capped vent. I put a thermostat on it and set to 60f. It kept a three car garage toatsy warm and did not run very much. Energy costs were low. Beacon Morris has an excellent webiste with all of the info on how to install them yourself. I pulled the NG gas pipes from the laundry room.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/i...9/DSCN0598.jpg

I built the shelf and then used an Egyptian style ramp and a ladder to push it up on the shelf. Ramp in the corner.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/i...DSCN0600-1.jpg

69 OHC ZH Sprint Hurst 3 Speed 3:55 (1 of 213)
99 Valkyrie 1520cc Flat 6 108hp/110tq - For Sale
http://sohcsix.yuku.com/forums/1/OHC-lounge
Wanted: 1969 OHC "H" Camshaft
Old 01-01-2013, 07:50 PM
Suspended

Not seeing many good revues on these celing mounted heaters, can they be just plugged into say my 240 volt air compressor plug???

Old 01-01-2013, 09:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What's the concern about propane?

I'd be more concerned about a pellet stove.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:36 PM
Suspended

Both of my cars sit in the garage, open flame kinda scares me, i have used one already. Think a electric wall mounted unit is easier to install plus i have 220 volt plug right buy it.