Old 12-25-2012, 10:16 PM

Default 62 4 cyl w/the 4 bbl

Merry Christmans!

Recently, I picked up a 4 bbl intake manifold from a '63 Tempest 4 cyl for my '62 Tempest off Ebay. My Tempest has a 4 cyl with the 1 bbl Rochester and was wondering if I can use a new 500 cfm Eddelbrock or if it would have to be an original Carter 480 cfm (if one can be found), which this intake manifold originally had. Either way, would any extra parts be needed for the new 4 bbl carburetor setup, such as lines? Thanks

Derek S.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

When I changed mine I had to make a spring bracket. Got picture from the chasis manual. Rerouted the fuel line. I don't see any problem with a new carb. as long it fits and passes gas. John

Old 12-29-2012, 07:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Derek,,,the 500 edel. will bee too much for your motor. Original 4 bbl carb was a 4GC Rochester. Even the AFB will be too much, it was only used on the performance motors.

POCI.org
Old 12-29-2012, 11:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I may be wrong but isn't the 4 bbl on the 4 the same they put on the 409? Happy New Year!

Old 12-31-2012, 10:48 PM

OK, thanks guys! Sounds like the original 4GC (480 cfm?) Rochester can only be used...however, from what I learned today, looks like that intake manifold will be useless. It doesn't have the support base for the coolant hose, the hose for the heater, and the sparkplug or wire base for one of the indicator wires. Never seen an intake manifold like this before. When buying this thing, I was like..."Yeah, cool, finally found the intake manifold for the 4 bbl carb for the 195 cyl!". Then when looking at the shop manual for the 1962 Tempest and looked at a pic of the intake manifold for the 4 bbl, I was like "Oh crap"...it had those things listed above, that's also on the 1 bbl manifold (which I have). Guessing this manifold I picked up off of Ebay was used for drag racing or something...anybody want to trade (LOL)? Ay-yeah-yay...have a Happy New Year!

Derek S.

Last edited by DeeRock Lemans; 12-31-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Derek,,,send me a picture please. Maybe I can identify it for you.

POCI.org
Old 01-01-2013, 01:33 AM

Here it is, Keith. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$T2eC16V,!)EE9s2ugjDSBQqupErI-w~~60_57.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	307862  

Old 01-01-2013, 01:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thats a stock factory cast iron manifold thats been modified!! Looks like the water crossover has been cut off & maybe the carb ports have been opened up a bit also. Should not be a big issue. You can get an aluminum crossover & modify it to work with this manifold, or you can cut the one off of your 1 bbl manifold. Either way, not a problem. You are not keeping your car stock anyway, right? Call me if you need help with it. We can work something out to get you on the road!

POCI.org
Old 01-01-2013, 09:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The original Rochester 4-GC for the 4 cylinder was about 400 CFM.

The original Carter AFB for the 4 cylinder SD was 625 CFM.

I have not used the Rochester, so cannot give first hand experience; but the original Carter AFB was TOOOOO MUCH!

I replaced mine with a Carter AFB 400 CFM (part number 9400s) and it had much better manners!

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:38 PM

Thanks for the info, gang! Good thing I didn't order the Edel...but hey, wasn't going to get one before coming here for first and that's a good thing I did! I've tried to look for the original stock 4 bbl of the 400 cfm, but man, those things are tough to find...did they only make them for that year and engine?

So it sounds like things aren't so bad, afterall...guess it's nice to know I got a modified intake manifold. Wonder if it was Mickey Thompson's (lol)? I didn't know about the aluminum crossovers...do they sell those or how can the one off the single bbl be cut off and put on it...cut it with precision and weld it? As far as being stock goes...originally, it had a low-compression engine with the single barrel but in 1972 (still runs and drives great, especially after rebuilding the carburetor last March), when the previous owner last rebuilt the engine, he turned it into a high-compression engine for when he bought the 4-bbl system and kept it on the there for many years until for some reason, he didn't want the 4-bbl anymore, so he got rid of it, and threw the original 1 bbl back on it and that's what it's got now. If this intake manifold turns out to be useful, then of course I'll want to throw it on engine...right now, I live with my folks, so working on the Tempest is kind of tough but the closing date of the house I bought (my first and it's a got a garage) will be in a week or 2, so after that, I'll be able to focus more on car stuff...and will be calling you when that time comes, Keith. Thanks! Happy New Year!

Old 01-01-2013, 03:18 PM

or a Carter...sounds like any 4 bbl with about 400 cfm can work?

Old 01-01-2013, 03:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

IIRC,,,there are some here that even used the 390 cfm Holley 4 bbl carb with an adapter.

POCI.org
Old 01-01-2013, 10:05 PM

If we modify this 4 bbl intake manifold by adding an aluminum water crossover or cutting the current one off the 1 bbl, can we do it in a means that will still allow the stock air cleaner with the sidebolts (mine has those now-rare bolt clips on the bracket) to be used? Also found a 400 cfm carter carb on Ebay for $285 but looks like it might be a slightly shorter than the 1 bbl carb. Would like it to be a car I can use to take roadtrips and even that someday cross-country trip, although at the cost of a little gas mileage...lol

Old 01-01-2013, 10:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Derek,,,The air filter housing support does not bolt to the manifold. There is a bracket that bolts down with the intake at the center bolts & the filter housing support bolts to that.

After looking at a couple of my manifolds, both 1 & 4 bbl, The one you have may not work for you. I need to have your manifold in my hands to compaire side to side with others & see if we can make it work. The Carter carbs are shorter than the 1 bbl Rochesters. There is a different air filter housing lower half that is used with the 4 bbl carbs. You should be able to still get good milage with the 4 bbl, just keep a decent cruising speed & stay out of the back half of the carb. Call me any day around 10:30 am (lunch time) or after 3:30 pm & we can set up a time to get together, compair parts & work something out.

Keith
602-315-86zero2

POCI.org
Old 01-02-2013, 02:08 AM

I run a 390 holley with a transdapt adapter.

1962 Tempest Lemans 4 cyl auto
1967 Camaro
1969 C/10
1969 D300
1972 K/5
1974 'Cuda
2005 2500HD Duramax
Old 01-02-2013, 11:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like someone used that intake on a '65 up head.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thats what I was thinking. Also notice the primaries have been opened up to accept a larger square bore carb. Thay are now the same size as the secondaries.

POCI.org
Old 01-03-2013, 10:37 AM

I spent quite a while trawling the web looking for info on that manifold and couldn't find any. But the seller from Ebay decribed it as an "H.O." manifold and that it came off a '63 and used an AFB Carter carb. I'll try to contact him and see if he has more info on it.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well now, lets think outside the box here. If I'm not mistaken, all '61/'62 low compression slant 4 engines came with dish pistons. Dish pistons give you the option of running heads with different valve angles, which later model heads have, without having to deal with clearance issues. Being a 1 bbl engine, you probably have a low compression engine. This would give you a desirable option. Since the intake you have is modified for the later intake bolt pattern, you can easily swap the poor flowing original head for a better flowing later model head. You'd just want to find a small chamber head to keep the compression ratio in a reasonable range. What's the engine code?

Another option is to buy the complete rebuilt engine out of my Sport Coupe. Has only 5k miles on it. That is if TempestFugit is no longer interested in trading for it...

Old 01-03-2013, 02:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Banshee View Post
Well now, lets think outside the box here. If I'm not mistaken, all '61/'62 low compression slant 4 engines came with dish pistons. Dish pistons give you the option of running heads with different valve angles, which later model heads have, without having to deal with clearance issues. Being a 1 bbl engine, you probably have a low compression engine. This would give you a desirable option. Since the intake you have is modified for the later intake bolt pattern, you can easily swap the poor flowing original head for a better flowing later model head. You'd just want to find a small chamber head to keep the compression ratio in a reasonable range. What's the engine code?

Another option is to buy the complete rebuilt engine out of my Sport Coupe. Has only 5k miles on it. That is if TempestFugit is no longer interested in trading for it...
There is a single 093 head for sale in the Parts forum that would work perfect on a dish piston slant 4 with that intake...