THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thumbs down Cancer update

It has been several months since I have updated my friends on PY as to my cancer battle, so here it is and it isn't pretty.
We have run out of options with chemo treatments. The last one we tried in November caused anafalictic shock and I said no more. I am tired of being sick to get well. So we have been treating the symptoms as they arise, mainly the pain in my hands and feet and now body and back pain. I enrolled in Hospice care the first of the year since they are more experienced at pain management for terminally ill patients. Which is hard to say, but I am. The pain management improved with the different meds, but it is still pretty high. I have been getting weaker and weaker every week and the pain in my body is getting worse. I have pretty much stopped being able to work with the pain and the fuzzy head the pain meds give me. I have resigned myself to the bed and recliner.
I have decided that my youngest daughter, Nicole will be getting the Firebird and we have been spending time learning about all that I have done over the last 25+ years and what she will need to do for maintenence and who to call when something goes awry. My oldest daughter is getting ready to start at the Univ of Montevallo just south of Birmingham, Alabama and get her accounting, French and International business degrees on full ride and room and board scholarship.
I have had several of my friends come through in recent weeks and we took the Bird out to a few car shows. I just sat and couldnt walk around, but lots of friends came by to say hi.
It's been a great year since they found this latest cancer and I have been blessed with firends and family that are incredible. I have gone so much further than they expected and I am grateful for the extra time that I was given. I want to thank PY for this great forum as well, I have the pleasure to get with so many members on this board including David Jones, 60 Man, 428HO, JCruz, Bjorn the banned, Keith Seymore, 66 Bonne, Cammer-6, H.I.S., Mike Cio and so many others.

I told it wasn't pretty, but the truth often isn't pretty. I just wanted you guys and gals to know why you haven't seen from me in a while and to keep us in your thoughts and prayers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9690.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	318149   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9693.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	318151  

Old 03-31-2013, 05:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wish you the best; I admire your stoic view of this. My love of 11 years died a year ago today from cervical cancer - she did not face the truth of the issue and suffered more because of it.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Man, that`s tough to hear. Mom`s battling cancer also. There`s not much I can say or do to change the reality that you are going through. I will say this, if you are grounded in faith, don`t ever forget THIS day. The tomb was empty when they got there. So, keep the word HOPE in your head and in your family. It should be able to scrub off some of the pain and anxiety that will try to follow you. God bless, Wade.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default This is hard to word right

7 years ago I could have been sayin the same things as you... could be sayin them next week...I dont know...

Bill...no matter what...as long as you have your faith and your family all else matters little... I wasnt supposed to make it this far...at least not be doing as well... The Doc knows its not in his hands anymore... I've been off meds since August... I was diagnosed near 7 years ago my kidneys were starting to shut down... My spine was fracturing... they were hopin for another week... Somehow I'm still here...I'll never be free its in my bone marrow... but my labs are showing my counts are excellent... It could change for the worse... could happen in a short time span... but... until then, I have no choice but to keep working at getting back as close to 100% as I can... If it goes the other way...then so be it...

None of us know when its checkout time. With that in mind live it out best you can knowing at some point you will be allowed to enter a better place where there is no pain or suffering.

I'll pray for a miracle... I make no gaurantees, my connections owe me no favors, (I owe them I think)...so if it dont work out I'll see you when I get there... Keep the faith my fellow Firebird affeciondo... no matter what keep the faith.

Last edited by BruceWilkie; 03-31-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tough to say the word terminal. That's great that you have and appreciate your many blessings such a terrible situation.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:54 PM
Senior Chief

I'm not a particular religious person but I do believe there may be a higher being. God bless you Boater Bill.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Best wishes to you and your family Bill. I will be praying for you and them.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You're one tough guy Boater Bill. Stay strong and god bless you and your family.

69 OHC ZH Sprint Hurst 3 Speed 3:55 (1 of 213)
99 Valkyrie 1520cc Flat 6 108hp/110tq - For Sale
http://sohcsix.yuku.com/forums/1/OHC-lounge
Wanted: 1969 OHC "H" Camshaft
Old 03-31-2013, 07:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry to hear this Bill. My parents went thru the same ordeal as you... but not as bravely as you are. They just gave up completely. At least you gave it the brave fight. Know that my thoughts and prayer aare with you now and even in the future. Someday I'll get to see you and have a long talk 'up there' on out cars and memories. Take care friend, we are all thinking of you. God Bless you and your daughters, may you all stay strong.

And tell them to get on PY and keep us informed if and when you are unable to do so. I know we all want to keep in touch, even thru them.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Say it isn't so. Of plans and planning, we all try to do things but our good Lord has a plan.

Bill you have been strong through things that seem rather tough. Please stay strong. Happy Easter

Old 03-31-2013, 07:31 PM
Suspended

It's easy to see you ARE the type of man other men respect, Bill.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I went through the same batlle seeing my mother fight this horrable disease that has taken so many great people. It would be two years on May 1st since she passed. I Have read your post and followed your treatment. You are admired for your battle to fight this. I know it wasn't an easy task. My heart and prayers go out to you and your family. God Bless !

1968 lemans :In progress!
1970 Bonneville 455 HO convertible (survivor)sold
1969 firebird
Old 03-31-2013, 08:40 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!

Good luck, Bill. Despite the terrible news, I'm happy you got into hospice care early. Too many people wait too long. Sounds like you've planned well.

I don't know how to end this post. Farewell will have to do.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Old 03-31-2013, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As a fellow traveler on the same trail, all the best, your strength and faith will help many, many of us.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Very sorry to hear this Bill. I'm saying a prayer for you and your family right now.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Bill... so sorry to hear... I know we havent talked much, on here, but, we did banter back and forth a bit, when your car came out in HPP... your pics were taken near where my girlfriend lived, in Florida... You are an inspiration to us all... Prayers to you and your family...

Old 03-31-2013, 10:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It is sad to read your post, Bill. Although we have never met in person, I have read your posts, respect them and feel you are a part of the Pontiac Community if you know what I mean.

Life can be fickle. However I also believe that God does have a plan. Try to plan for the unthinkable, have faith in the best outcome. Be well.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Those of us who have had the pleasure of meeting Boater Bill are all the better for it.
Bill's the good looking guy on the right. He was able to meet up with Troy [60man] and me on Troy's recent visit to Florida.

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: bmp boaterbill.bmp (197.8 KB, 151 views)

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have no idea what to say except stay strong, keep the faith, and to say that you and yours will be in my prayers.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:12 AM

Bill, my prayers are with you and your family through this. I want you to know that my wife has been going through chemo and radiation for the past year for a rare type of B Cell Lymphoma.
I have shared some of your post with her and I feel that they did boost her spirits because your attitude was and is above all that suffer from this robber disease.

All the best and God bless,
Matt