67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:49 PM

Default Bent Convertible

Hi guys....So I've been struggling to get the doors lined up, mainly the passenger door. The range of 'up-down' adjustment is in the wrong place. The door can drop very low and I can't lift it any higher than level with the quarter panel, which means I can't get it to be level without holding it up. There is no play on the hinges, I started suspecting the door hinge pillar is bent or sagging. I removed the door and indeed found some kinks just about where the pillar meets the rocker panel.

I'd like to know if there are any measurements I can take to confirm this...maybe an angle between the rocker panel and door hinge pillar.....or maybe some measurements from the pillar to the quarter panel jamb.

Once I'm sure on how much it's bent, how would I go about fixing it? I can always elongate the holes for the hinges to get the doors on but then I'm sure the windows and top frame won't line up with the A-pillar.

Any help and advise would be awesome.

Thanks

72 Pontiac GTO 455 - sold
Old 04-09-2013, 09:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm guessing that you DO know that there is play (adjustment) between the hinge and door as well, not only between hinge and body ?

Old 04-09-2013, 10:02 PM

sure... but that doesn't effect the angle between the door and rocker panel..unless I shim it. What I mean is I can't get the rear of the door up enough to sit level.

I know I can shim the lower hinge at the door, but if the hinge pillar is bent I'm gonna have problems elsewhere..like with the windows, etc.

72 Pontiac GTO 455 - sold