Old 04-20-2013, 01:58 AM

Default Choosing Wheel Style

I am getting close to getting this beast back on the road. It has been a journey and a half. Fun though. One of the decisions I have to make is wheel/tire combo. I am trying to find something that appeals to the wife and me. She wants "just wheels." Meaning she doesn't want it to look dorky. I tried to get her to sit down with me and look through pics over and over. She only did this once and so now the decision is up to me.
Here is a pic before it was taken off the road.

I have gone disc all around so I need at least 15". I will do 15 if that is what it comes down to but I would like 17". Bolt pattern 5x5. I think I would like the rear wheels to be a little larger than the front as well. Any suggestions would be great. If you want any pics or measurements let me know.
My price point: I was hoping somewhere between 1,000-1,200 for the wheel and tire combo.

Thanks guys.

I like the looks of the Pontiac Rallye 1's but I don't see them in 17", 5x5 or cheap enough.
I am having a tough time visualizing what would look good on this car, even after searching through the Official Tire and Wheel Combo thread.

Old 04-20-2013, 02:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would not put low rider 17" rims on that car.

15" original steel rims with dog dish caps, or maybe big car rally 2s.

If you can stay with 14", (I can with my disks), put a much taller tire on and dog dish caps.
A good looking but cheap 14" tall tire is the cooper trendsetter se in blackwall. They make them in 75 series. 215 in front and 235 in back, or 215 all around.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Wheel choices

Good looking Safari!

I only added front Scarebird discs to my '63 Safari and chose a 15" Wheel Vintiques rally wheel with smooth caps as I had a hard time trying to get 15" wheels that would fit the original dog dish caps. I got 8" for the rear and 7" for the front. Not installed yet so no on car pics yet.

I just got a set of 15" American TTO wheels for my '66 Catalina. All 7" due to offset on the 8" being too much. Also no on car pics yet, sorry.

Rob...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wvi-37_w.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	320473   Click image for larger version

Name:	286-309-5761.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	320474  

Old 04-20-2013, 07:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What Mr. P said/did.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 04-20-2013, 09:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Beautiful Longtop Darksider.

Jim

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I did a double take when I saw the brake pictures above. Darin (Jagtec) just did a disc conversion on his Bonnie wagon that's the same color and posted similar pics on Facebook.

As for wheels- 15" black steelies with poverty caps would look good, but then so would Rally IIs. Aftermarket wheels could look pretty cool too... if you choose the right ones. Not sure I'd go up to 17". I put 16" American Racing Hopsters on my '69 wagon and you can't really tell they're bigger than the stock 15"

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 04-20-2013, 09:59 AM
Bonker's-T-Cat Moderator

Can't beat the looks of big car rallies on your wagon! I ran them all the time.
Find a set from a 73-76 bonnie or grandville and clean them up paint and enjoy!

Old 04-20-2013, 10:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

While Rally II wheels look good, I never thought they looked right on older stuff. 15" with original dog dish caps would be my first choice but you need to find 15" wheels that accept the clips. The Chevy style rally wheel with smooth caps gives a nice clean look without bringing too much attention to the wheels. Especially on a stock looking car.

JMO,
Rob...

Old 04-20-2013, 11:02 AM

I'd put a set of Rally 2's on it. I know most people don't push these cars thru corners like I do but I get concerned about shear strength of aluminum wheels. Things tend to happen at bad times.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 04-20-2013, 11:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

if you want 17s put them on it, just make sure they have enuff side wall they dont look like rubber bands, may have to look at a light truck tire...

i like the dog dish look..but i really dig these...a bunch, but they are kinda expensive , and mot sure if they have the 5 on 5 pattern...oooops, my shorts just got tight...
http://4mypontiac.com/Wheels.htm

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 04-20-2013, 12:08 PM

Thanks everyone.
@elefantrider - I wasn't going for a low rider look. The 14's just seem so small in that large wheel cavity. I personally don't like low riders or huge wheels on old cars, but I just thought the larger wheel would fill that area in a little better.

@misterp266 - I used M&P Power Brake Disc conversion. I didn't know about Scarebird at the time. For the rears I used a Wilwood product made for Fabcraft. There were less hiccups from the Fabcraft ones, but both had great customer service.
My original dog dish caps are too messed up to put on new wheels. It looks like someone didn't know how to take them off and then once they got them off stepped on them or something.
I do like the look of the WV Rally wheels. Would it be completely weird to get them in Chrome? I see that as an option.

Thanks 66bonne!

@goatless - That's awesome. I love this color on the wagon and I haven't seen any others. But I can assure you this is my conversion. If you want more pics for proof let me know.

15" Black steelies with poverty caps from where?

@Blackcat - If this was half a year ago I would go searching for some old wheels and clean them up and make them beautified. My wife has been borrowing my moms car this whole time. (Mostly because my dad was the one that said buy the car).
My mom would freak if I started another project. Even one as simple as that.

@mike nixon- Yeah I wonder about the strength of aluminum wheels too. At least all of the ones they mentioned are steel.

Through searching there is a guy near me who sells Vision's Rally wheels and I wouldn't have to pay for shipping that way.

http://www.visionwheel.com/wheel.cfm?id=521

Has anyone heard of them? I would also like opinions on chrome v silver. For some reason the silvers seem to look like spares to me, but maybe the ones I have seen in real life haven't been taken care of very well.
What tire sizes are recommended? I want the back to be a little larger than the front. Mostly to ensure the back is just a tad higher.

@marxjunk - Glad someone doesn't mind 17's. Those ones are clearly out of my price range. Unless that price is for the set.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Would the '64s have used the same style poverty caps as the '64-71 a-body? I know the later sixties full size cars did. Even if they didn't you could still use them anyhow. The wheels that accept those caps are still fairly plentiful or you can even get new from places like Wheel Vintiques. Those caps are available as new repros as well.

Here's a shot Darin put up yesterday on FB-

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 04-20-2013, 01:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool wagon!!! I like the poverty cap look. Mine will sport steelies until I find caps. Hoping to have it on the road this summer.

9.81 @ 136.39MPH
Old 04-20-2013, 01:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatless View Post
Would the '64s have used the same style poverty caps as the '64-71 a-body? I know the later sixties full size cars did. Even if they didn't you could still use them anyhow. The wheels that accept those caps are still fairly plentiful or you can even get new from places like Wheel Vintiques. Those caps are available as new repros as well.

Here's a shot Darin put up yesterday on FB-
Ya, I didn't think of that since I have a '63. I think '64 and up would have the newer style caps on standard steel wheels. That would look good too!
Love to see so many wagons popping up. Hope to make some good progress on mine this summer.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Where would one get poverty caps for 15" steel wheels???

9.81 @ 136.39MPH
Old 04-20-2013, 01:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They repop the poverty caps. Ames has them. Also sold on E-Bay.

You can use a Chevy truck 15" wheel with same bolt pattern. Many have the bumps for the caps. Check archives here for specific years etc.

This is a great option as well. Rally IIs with the right trim rings look good. I like the stepped ones that are shiny stainless and not the brushed ones with the rolled edge.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 04-20-2013, 02:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagtec1 View Post
Where would one get poverty caps for 15" steel wheels???
When I change my wheels over to Americans I will have a set if you're looking for them. I think they are reproduction ones but they are nice!

Here's look as I check clearance. Might have to trim the wheel well a bit but not much. Will go with 235/70/15 BFG T/A's I guess. No white letters though.
Also take a look at these Goodyears. Lots of tread left, not looking too safe huh?

Rob...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	test fit.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	320499   Click image for larger version

Name:	TTO 15x7.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	320500   Click image for larger version

Name:	crack.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	320501   Click image for larger version

Name:	crack is wack.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	320502  

Old 04-20-2013, 03:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

14" seem small because your tires are way shorter than the stock factory size. It would look fine with a 75 series, like the coopers, IMHO.

I run my original 14" rallye1s with a tall g70 tire and it looks better and works better than the 15" 275 BFG it replaced.

Big car 15" rally2 are nice but getting expensive now.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If you do a search here for Dave Bennet you might find a pic of his 63 Cat with chromed WVs + the police caps on it if you want to see that look.......they are the "Corvette" style slotted rally wheels.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:50 AM

Hi, Safari64

Disc's look good!

acouple of questions about the M&p brake conversion, is the wheel in exactly sitting in same factory position or spaced out slightly, what were the problems you encountered during the install?
thanks Richard

Last edited by 64gpnz; 04-21-2013 at 02:00 AM. Reason: addressed to wrong member